intermittent Fasting (Help) I think I'm doing it wrong..

Options
omgshefluffy
omgshefluffy Posts: 11 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I started intermittent Fasting about 5 days ago. So far I've just gained a tiny amount of weight. I'm doing the 16/8 fast which is simple but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I wait everyday until 11am to start eating regularly. then after 7pm I completely stop and only drink water all the way until 11am the next day. I'm fine with this. But I'm gaining a bit instead of losing.

I have a strong feeling its the food I'm eating. But the problem is funds are so out of order in my life I don't know what to cook or if I should just eat leftovers. Last night we had lasagna from the store. It was simple and easy to cook which I'm use to. But I know that's not something I can eat all the time.

Can anyone tell me the correct meal plan on how this works. I've also done Low-Carb but like I said its becoming a hassle with funds. Especially when I'm the only one on the diet. Could it be because I don't exercise? am I suppose to exercise? I was thinking about during my cut off at 7pm do some cardio in the house.

I've found articles online but I would feel a bit better if I could just get it from a stronger source.
I also drink a lot of water which I don't mind doing at all.

Replies

• omgshefluffy
    edited December 2017
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    How many calories are you consuming? Intermittent fasting or no, if you don't have a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.

T___T I honestly have not been tracking. I kinda thought if I didn't eat a lot then I'd be good with not tracking. ^___^;;
  • omgshefluffy
    Options
    Well, start there. IF is not a diet, and it holds no magical weight-loss properties. Also, it's not the food (lasagna is fine)...it's eating within your calorie goal.

So I can eat normally but just make sure I stay under my calories? I did my fitness pal calculations on my cell and it says for a non active person I need to eat 1,770 calories to lose weight.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Track your calories. You could easily be eating more than you need. You could be subconsciously eating more between 11am-7pm because you've told yourself you can't eat anything outside of that time.
  • omgshefluffy
    Options
    Track your calories. You could easily be eating more than you need. You could be subconsciously eating more between 11am-7pm because you've told yourself you can't eat anything outside of that time.

Good point. I'll work on this for the next couple of days and see if there is a change. Thank you guys for taking the time to speak with me about this. I'm glad I found some help ^__^
  • whosshe
    Options
    Well, start there. IF is not a diet, and it holds no magical weight-loss properties. Also, it's not the food (lasagna is fine)...it's eating within your calorie goal.

So I can eat normally but just make sure I stay under my calories? I did my fitness pal calculations on my cell and it says for a non active person I need to eat 1,770 calories to lose weight.

You can eat anything you want any time you want as long as you stick to your 1770 calories.
  • omgshefluffy
    Options

You can eat anything you want any time you want as long as you stick to your 1770 calories.

That I can understand. I do like the IF though, for some odd reason I helps my body relax if that makes any sense. I use to eat really late at night so I' happy with the IF I'm not doing that anymore.

• omgshefluffy
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Also is it normal for your stomach to not growl? my stomach has literally not growled in 5 days. XD I feel like when it growls I can say " Oh, your hungry? okay let's eat " for the last 5 days I've been like " Hello?...anyone there? I have food in front of me. Can you make some sort of noise? "
  • omgshefluffy
    edited December 2017
    Options
    when IF first came to the attention of the public it was being used 2 or 3 times a week at most

This was to get total calories consumed down, to lower blood sugar, do carb depletion before carbing up (bodybuilders do this)

The whole point of intermittent is that it is NOT a regular daily thing

This new 16/8 thing is not IF at all. It's probably got a definition but not one that includes 'intermittent'

Intermittent means by definition 'sometimes occurs' not every day

Well even if we didn't call it IF I really like that I can tell myself when to stop eating. Is that still okay? to have a cut off time.
  • whosshe
    Options
    when IF first came to the attention of the public it was being used 2 or 3 times a week at most

This was to get total calories consumed down, to lower blood sugar, do carb depletion before carbing up (bodybuilders do this)

The whole point of intermittent is that it is NOT a regular daily thing

This new 16/8 thing is not IF at all. It's probably got a definition but not one that includes 'intermittent'

Intermittent means by definition 'sometimes occurs' not every day

Well even if we didn't call it IF I really like that I can tell myself when to stop eating. Is that still okay?

You can do whatever you want. You should buy a food scale tho and track your calories because that's what it boils down to.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Rickster I tend to agree. I eat in a eight hour window. It's just a convenient way for me to eat and it keeps me on track. I prefer to eat two largish meals and a little midday snack, so I eat between 8AM and 4PM, which is technically 16/8, but I do it every day so - dunno why all the hoopla. Except it does help some people place boundaries around problematic behaviors, like late night eating and the "once I start eating it's hard to stop" phenomenon. If people delay their first meal it seems to help.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out.

Its a simple way that WILL work.if its not working you are eating too much.simple
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well if you can find a rhythm that you are comfortable with, where you get the calories & nutrition you need, that overcomes any cravings or addictions

but I don't see any need to put an arbitary time window on your food consumption

The main thing is to get your 16 hour fast in. Whether you eat the last thing at midnight or 6pm it won't really matter. I'd recommend you only fast 2 or 3 times a week and then do a workout in the fasted state before breaking the fast

Working out in the fasted state, then eating has many benefits such as improved insulin sensitivity

Whatever you do, you'll need to be in deficit if weight loss is the goal. Also, remember this: you should be working out a way to live that you can maintain for life. If it's not sustainable then probably not a good plan.

In my case, between 2000 and 2007 I lived on a very low carb diet, got into bodybuilding. Got very lean and buff.

However, life intervened (credit crunch, family breakdown) and I was unable to maintain the low carb life. Became a food addict and gained 140lb. Problem was the low carb lifestyle was HARD and took major effort which I could not continue when stress became a factor.

Not saying that this will happen to anybody else, just a warning to plan a sustainable lifestyle
  • omgshefluffy
    Options
    Well if you can find a rhythm that you are comfortable with, where you get the calories & nutrition you need, that overcomes any cravings or addictions

but I don't see any need to put an arbitary time window on your food consumption

The main thing is to get your 16 hour fast in. Whether you eat the last thing at midnight or 6pm it won't really matter. I'd recommend you only fast 2 or 3 times a week and then do a workout in the fasted state before breaking the fast

Working out in the fasted state, then eating has many benefits such as improved insulin sensitivity

Whatever you do, you'll need to be in deficit if weight loss is the goal. Also, remember this: you should be working out a way to live that you can maintain for life. If it's not sustainable then probably not a good plan.

In my case, between 2000 and 2007 I lived on a very low carb diet, got into bodybuilding. Got very lean and buff.

However, life intervened (credit crunch, family breakdown) and I was unable to maintain the low carb life. Became a food addict and gained 140lb. Problem was the low carb lifestyle was HARD and took major effort which I could not continue when stress became a factor.

Not saying that this will happen to anybody else, just a warning to plan a sustainable lifestyle

I see what you saying. I was on the lowcarb for a minute and then slowly fell off because I love fruit and that's all I wanted to eat. Right now I'm not really hungry since I had lasagna at 11am. T__T Its a really bad habit for me when it comes to leftovers. anyways, I'm not sure when I'll eat again hopeful I'll feel like eating but as of right now I don't.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

I see what you saying. I was on the lowcarb for a minute and then slowly fell off because I love fruit and that's all I wanted to eat. Right now I'm not really hungry since I had lasagna at 11am. T__T Its a really bad habit for me when it comes to leftovers. anyways, I'm not sure when I'll eat again hopeful I'll feel like eating but as of right now I don't.

how much have you got lose? Be careful with not feeling hungry

get into a rhythm of eating, skipping meals is not needed
  • paulmasson40
    paulmasson40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, what they all said...
    It's not a magic bullet and it's not starvation. One major benefit is that it really helps with your discipline as you begin tracking calories and maintaining a workout schedule. Keeping top-of-mind your eating window makes the other aspects that much easier (and simpler).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Again, there is nothing wrong with lasagna. It's a matter of logging it in your Food diary and accounting for the calories, is all. I have pasta a couple times a week. I have bread every day, and potatoes or rice a few times a week, too. I've maintained my weight-loss for a decade and spend $5 a day on food. The good thing about grains and potatoes (and pulses) is that they are energy intense and inexpensive. Eat the food you like that you can afford and log it. That's it. Peanut butter sandwich? It's fine. Mac and cheese? Go for it. Add some frozen vegetables and a little chicken and it's still less than $2 per serving.
  • omgshefluffy
    edited December 2017
    Options

how much have you got lose? Be careful with not feeling hungry

get into a rhythm of eating, skipping meals is not needed

I went from 242 to 228. But when I went all oranges and grapes crazy and then foods not low carb I shot up to 232.8. I really just want to get down to 200 and see how I feel and look. Don't want to come out with a big head and small body. XD

And yeah I think its because the meal was heavy. I'm drinking water right now. I think I'll have strawberries here in a bit. Also I fail to mention one important thing about all this. I had Gastic Bypass surgery back in 2013. so I get full easily as well. I think I should have said that before.
    I'm not even sure if I'm suppose to be counting calories or doing low carb or anything of the such. but I do it because I feel like my pouch isn't what it use to be and I have talked to my dr about this and he basically said I'm just eating to much. Tis why I went with the IF so that I can stay in check.