Frustrated after business trip...

2»

Replies

• BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    spzjlb wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Did you fly on a plane? There’s your answer.

Can you please elaborate? I fly several times per month and would like to understand what you mean. Thx

The dry, low pressure air tends to make people feel more thirsty than they would in a similar situation at ground level, like taking a bus, even for a few hours after the flight. So they drink more water.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    How long since you got back from your trip? it takes me around 2 weeks to see my usual scale number after a trip away. Those first days back can see a 'gain' of up to 7lbs. The first week back I drop a lot of water weight and then after that any 'fat' gain eventually goes as I resume normal eating.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Comparison is the thief of joy - don't concern yourself with how your coworker's body works. Everybody's different.

5lbs up for a 9 day trip doesn't seem that bad to me. At least half of it will be water weight, and gaining a pound or two during vacation isn't the end of the world.

Just get back on the horse, track your calories accurately and stick to a reasonable deficit. Those extra pounds will be gone before you know it.

This is an interesting article about all the little things that affect metabolism and how CICO works for different people: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    My family did an All Inclusive, 7 day trip to Cancun. So, basically eat/drink whenever and whatever.

We all weighed respectively before we left. I didn't log/weigh food all week, and did a 2-3mile beach walk every day (other than that it was booze, beach chair and books for me). I maintained to the ounce. Seriously, I have no idea how. But obviously everything cancelled out.

My Dad gained 5lbs (but normally he's super active, and wasn't this trip).

My Mom gained 3lbs.

My BF gained 1lb.

We all handle traveling differently. I'm assuming some of my Dad's 5lbs was water retention from the flight, but I think it was also because he wasn't outside all day chopping down trees or mowing grass (he's a retired 65 year old guy who really hates sitting around). I'm assuming my Mom over ate because she wasn't watching and gets more activity at home as well. I'm pretty sure my BF gained only water weight.

We got back on Nov. 18th. I'm currently down 2lbs since then. And everyone who has gained is back to "pre-vacation" weight. Took my Mom the longest to lose what she gained.

I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    maybyn wrote: »
    Well, in theory, 2450 calories per day over maintenance for 10 days is not impossible but it's highly unlikely.

I can *easily* do that. Pretty sure I'm not a unicorn...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member

Can you please elaborate? I fly several times per month and would like to understand what you mean. Thx

Google airplane travel weight gain. It’s a common occurrence on Long flights, essentially dehydration and water retention. Short commutes (under 2 hours) don't affect me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I think my metabolism sucks.

Sorry and to the point. Went on a 9 day business trip to Europe. I expected to gain a couple lbs because of the fantastic, traditional culinary foods - and knowing my options wouldn't be my usual. Nevertheless, I traveled with a colleague who was also using another diet app Loseit. I left home weighing in at 215.0... came home at 220... Okay, I did expect to gain, but that seemed more than I expected in just 9 days...

So checking in with my colleague, he also gained.. But he gained .2 That's POINT 2 OF A POUND!

How can that be? We ate mostly the same things, we walked over 20,000 steps on many days. Of course I indulged in some of the best, most delicious European foods I've ever had, and I expected to gain a few and was good with that, but now I'm up 7 lb in 10 days. That seems like a lot. Btw, he doesn't have much to lose if anything... He's thin by most standards..

Since I've been home I thought that it might disappear quickly once I got back in my weight loss routine. I've been snowshoeing, shoveling snow, active outside but my new 7lb seems to have found a home.

I'm sure everyone deals with this anchor system that or bodies have, but how can I kick start my metabolism? Next week due to several holiday functions will be another week of indulging a little., I realize that I may not be able to lose..., but if I can just be in maintenance mode, if be happy. I just do not want to gain.

By the way, I only went over maintenance caloric intake a couple times. The rest of my days would be considered "maintenance mode"... But like I said, my waking steps were up big time.

Any suggestions or support? Keep snarky comments to yourself please.

Thanks.

Air travel bloats me like no other...I can easily put on 8 Lbs of water weight by simply getting on and off a plane.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Sorry and to the point. Went on a 9 day business trip to Europe. I expected to gain a couple lbs because of the fantastic, traditional culinary foods - and knowing my options wouldn't be my usual. Nevertheless, I traveled with a colleague who was also using another diet app Loseit. I left home weighing in at 215.0... came home at 220... Okay, I did expect to gain, but that seemed more than I expected in just 9 days...

So checking in with my colleague, he also gained.. But he gained .2 That's POINT 2 OF A POUND!

How can that be? We ate mostly the same things, we walked over 20,000 steps on many days. Of course I indulged in some of the best, most delicious European foods I've ever had, and I expected to gain a few and was good with that, but now I'm up 7 lb in 10 days. That seems like a lot. Btw, he doesn't have much to lose if anything... He's thin by most standards..

Since I've been home I thought that it might disappear quickly once I got back in my weight loss routine. I've been snowshoeing, shoveling snow, active outside but my new 7lb seems to have found a home.

I'm sure everyone deals with this anchor system that or bodies have, but how can I kick start my metabolism? Next week due to several holiday functions will be another week of indulging a little., I realize that I may not be able to lose..., but if I can just be in maintenance mode, if be happy. I just do not want to gain.

By the way, I only went over maintenance caloric intake a couple times. The rest of my days would be considered "maintenance mode"... But like I said, my waking steps were up big time.

Thanks.

Air travel bloats me like no other...I can easily put on 8 Lbs of water weight by simply getting on and off a plane.

Same here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

I leave for Tanzania on Thursday...I'm pretty sure after 28 hours of travel that I'm going to get off the plane looking like this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj74_x-Wj_BBt_Dj-mNoimzQu1xl4PM97kvYuTWi_RGpEyxSRGKg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

I leave for Tanzania on Thursday...I'm pretty sure after 28 hours of travel that I'm going to get off the plane looking like this...

:D
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

This is me after long haul. Cankle city.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

Yup. I'm doing a transatlantic flight next week, coming back NYE. The only saving grace is that going over, is also when I'm expecting cyclical water weight (and I won't have a scale in the hotel), and I'm expecting said same water weight to still be there when I get back. It's not going to be pretty.
  • VintageFeline

Thanks.

Same here.

Yup. I'm doing a transatlantic flight next week, coming back NYE. The only saving grace is that going over, is also when I'm expecting cyclical water weight (and I won't have a scale in the hotel), and I'm expecting said same water weight to still be there when I get back. It's not going to be pretty.

I think my biggest gain from flying was 10lbs of water. 10!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    BBum69 wrote: »

The dry, low pressure air tends to make people feel more thirsty than they would in a similar situation at ground level, like taking a bus, even for a few hours after the flight. So they drink more water.

Most people become dehydrated while traveling because they don't drink enough, so I don't think that drinking too much is the reason. Air travel does mess with your body.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    maybyn wrote: »
    Well, in theory, 2450 calories per day over maintenance for 10 days is not impossible but it's highly unlikely.

I can *easily* do that. Pretty sure I'm not a unicorn...

If you were you would be included in my collection.

fu4khgqqmho5.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

My biggest was 15lb, but usually it's around 10lb.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Thanks.

Same here.

Oh deity. If that happens ... No. I cannot let that happen. I don't know how to stop it, but that puts my weight at a number I haven't been in 18 months, and nope nope nope nope nope.
  • VintageFeline

Thanks.

Same here.

Oh deity. If that happens ... No. I cannot let that happen. I don't know how to stop it, but that puts my weight at a number I haven't been in 18 months, and nope nope nope nope nope.

The total spike was actually 12lbs. 10 of it whooshed off over a week or so, the residual was actual gain (two week eat all the things holiday, I expected worse!). Pro tip, don't weight for a day or two if it's going to freak you out. I just found it amusing as I know I puff up but had never weighed to know how much.