Oatmeal

Options
In order to list "1 cup oatmeal" does that mean before adding water, or after it is cooked?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are database entries for both cooked and raw oatmeal.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I use packaged oatmeal (I know, I'm a sinner) and the amount of water I add varies daily so going by cooked weight wouldn't make sense to me.
  • CLN_Joyce
    CLN_Joyce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good question! I figured it didn't matter since the water doesn't add any calories??
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Good question! I figured it didn't matter since the water doesn't add any calories??

lol but it adds weight so youd be tracking calories of oatmeal for the weight of the water if you used raw oatmeal database entry. Magically making water pretty calorific lol.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I always record mine before cooked, because the amount of water absorbed by the oatmeal varies. That said, as @janejellyroll said, there are entries in the database for both cooked and raw oatmeal. Just select the correct entry, and you should be fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I use the entry for raw/dry oats: "Cereals, oats, regular and quick, not fortified, dry"

I get the syntax from the USDA database and then plug that into MFP.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1847?manu=&fgcd=&ds=Standard Reference