Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Health Safety Concerns Being Well Addressed in Clinical Drug Trials?

Options

Replies

• counting_kilojoules
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I figured that's what he was saying. Wasn't it? To teach your kids some responsible behaviors? And that being with only one person in your whole life was the ideals still?

I took that is him saying that if people were responsible enough to not be with anyone else until they found someone to marry.. but since a lot of marriages end within a few years you would then have to give the marriage some wait time that this is how you would not have to be vaccinated for HPV

That might be what he plans to teach his children. I don't see how that has anything to do with anything anyone else should or should not be doing.

I'm questioning the paradigm of shoulds regarding sexual behavior.

Furthermore, the issue of the vaccine isn't related to morality.

Of course it is.

HPV is an STD. Thus sexuality and morality are inescapably part of the conversation.

Far more important and immediate that sexuality and morality is practicality. And the fact is that morality doesn't cure or even slow the spread of STDs. Look to abstinence only AIDS prevention education in countries with high prevalence. They have a far, far higher instance of infection than areas which provide practical prevention advice and really, the only thing bstinence only AIDS prevention education has achieved is a higher instance of child-brides (the younger they are, the better chance they're a virgin).

It's only ineffective if it's not followed.

But it's not. It never ever has been. Ergo, it does not work and other options need to be explored.

Funny though how the out-of-wedlock birthrates and STDs in Western societies were dramatically lower 100 years ago. And that was long before the easy availability of pharmaceutical birth control, legal abortion on demand and the almost complete saturation of moral relativism in those same Western societies today.

Isn't it possible though that 100 years ago, out-of-wedlock babies were claimed as the grandparents' child or forced people into shotgun weddings so were never actually reported even though they technically happened?

And isn't it possible that 100 years ago many people had undiagnosed STDs, whether due to fear of anyone knowing or simply not having access to a diagnosis?

Not to mention I don't think there's any good record of how many illegal abortions were being performed 100 years ago.

Exactly.
    I read an article recently about an unmarried mothers and childrens' home in Ireland. Pregnant girls and women were sent there until they gave birth. The conditions were horrible and a lot of the children died. I imagine a lot of the girls went back to their lives rather traumatised and never told anyone what had happened.

My great, great grandmother was born out of wedlock. I guess there was nowhere to send her mother in a small rural community in Australia back then (and no hiding it either). People don't change much and no matter how much we romanticise the past people were having sex. Since the consequences are so much less now, why would they suddenly stop now, after all this time? Especially, since for an increasing number of people, there isn't a moral reason anymore either.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I figured that's what he was saying. Wasn't it? To teach your kids some responsible behaviors? And that being with only one person in your whole life was the ideals still?

I took that is him saying that if people were responsible enough to not be with anyone else until they found someone to marry.. but since a lot of marriages end within a few years you would then have to give the marriage some wait time that this is how you would not have to be vaccinated for HPV

That might be what he plans to teach his children. I don't see how that has anything to do with anything anyone else should or should not be doing.

I'm questioning the paradigm of shoulds regarding sexual behavior.

Furthermore, the issue of the vaccine isn't related to morality.

Of course it is.

HPV is an STD. Thus sexuality and morality are inescapably part of the conversation.

Far more important and immediate that sexuality and morality is practicality. And the fact is that morality doesn't cure or even slow the spread of STDs. Look to abstinence only AIDS prevention education in countries with high prevalence. They have a far, far higher instance of infection than areas which provide practical prevention advice and really, the only thing bstinence only AIDS prevention education has achieved is a higher instance of child-brides (the younger they are, the better chance they're a virgin).

It's only ineffective if it's not followed.

But it's not. It never ever has been. Ergo, it does not work and other options need to be explored.

Funny though how the out-of-wedlock birthrates and STDs in Western societies were dramatically lower 100 years ago. And that was long before the easy availability of pharmaceutical birth control, legal abortion on demand and the almost complete saturation of moral relativism in those same Western societies today.

Isn't it possible though that 100 years ago, out-of-wedlock babies were claimed as the grandparents' child or forced people into shotgun weddings so were never actually reported even though they technically happened?

And isn't it possible that 100 years ago many people had undiagnosed STDs, whether due to fear of anyone knowing or simply not having access to a diagnosis?

Not to mention I don't think there's any good record of how many illegal abortions were being performed 100 years ago.

Exactly.
    I read an article recently about an unmarried mothers and childrens' home in Ireland. Pregnant girls and women were sent there until they gave birth. The conditions were horrible and a lot of the children died. I imagine a lot of the girls went back to their lives rather traumatised and never told anyone what had happened.

My great, great grandmother was born out of wedlock. I guess there was nowhere to send her mother in a small rural community in Australia back then (and no hiding it either). People don't change much and no matter how much we romanticise the past people were having sex. Since the consequences are so much less now, why would they suddenly stop now, after all this time? Especially, since for an increasing number of people, there isn't a moral reason anymore either.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3004949/mass-grave-containing-remains-of-babies-discovered-in-sewage-tank-at-notorious-mother-and-baby-home-where-800-children-died/

Ah, it was a better time...

How ironic that you would say so. How many babies died from being "aborted" on demand in just a single year in the U.S. since Roe Vs. Wade? And yes, I do mean babies. The age of independent viability is at 20 weeks of gestation. Abortion is legally obtained on demand up to the very end of the third trimester in the U.S. Better times? I don't think so.

100 years ago mothers were trying to abort using turpentine or herbs like pennyroyal. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it just gave them liver or kidney damage (or both). Or they went to abortionists. Which, given abortion was illegal was unregulated and dangerous. I'd rather safe, legal abortions because desperate people do desperate things and then they die horribly.

I'd be happy to talk to you about abortion off thread via PM. Which would include my personal experience with elective abortion(s) on demand. The first two in the first trimester and the third at the end of the second trimester. As Kinny72 pointed out, this thread probably isn't the place to discuss it as it's too political.

Unfortunately, I think that's the problem with this vaccine. (Or rather, the way it's thought of.) It's all bound up with politics and morality (which includes sex and abortion and all sorts of things like that) instead of being about preventing cancer. (And that's before you get to the anti-vaccine mob). I mean, I think there was only one poster who actually addressed the OPs actual question.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So Gale, I did click through to your link. It is a ridiculously long article written to tug on heartstrings. I skimmed the first quarter or so. I noticed a link at the top of the article to an opinion from the medical editor and read that instead. The gist seems to be that the trial for Gardisil may have ignored a possible link to CFS. I don't know enough about the process to be able to determine whether that's the case or not. If it did, I think it would be interesting to find out if this is an isolated incident or if shady dealings in these sorts of trials is a thing. Regardless, all treatments have possible side effects, participation in clinical trials always carries a risk, and the medical editor said she believed that the benefits of wide distribution of the vaccine far outweighs the possible risk, which is as of yet just asserted, not confirmed. I'm not sure what conclusion you wanted people to draw, but that's what I got.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Or we could just promote more responsible behavior instead of vaccinating children against an STD.

In the specific case the efficacy of the vaccination is significantly lowered if the individual has already been exposed. ISTR seeing something recently about reduced attendance at cervical screening through a misplaced confidence, meaning that the cohort most at risk of developing cervical cancer are in the 25-40 age range. Vaccinated after likely infection but still at higher risk of developing.
This discussion has been closed.