I Wanna Go Back to Philmont

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ahhh Philmont! My hubby has so many Philmont stories! I do hope you share your ongoing progress. We are a big scout family.

Hubby is an ASM for my son's troop (and I'm the rank advancement chair). He has committed to hiking 14'er with the Scouts the end of next summer. He has similar stats as you, and he has to drop the weight or it's a no-go. Our son will be high adventure eligible summer of 2018 and the first trip he will go on is Northern Tier. He'll do Philmont in 2019. Hoping for the triple crown and Sea Base in 2020.

I don't have a lot to offer other than find your target weight loss goal with MFP and manage to it, and it will happen. All my best on your journey. I do hope you keep us posted. Feel free to add me/friend me!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Getting ready with hiking with weight in the pack but making weight is going to be a real challenge. I'm going to travel out regardless even if I spend the week at the training center.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great goal! I'm 59, and in 1973 I spent a two week stint at Philmont with a crew of 14 other Scouts and an adult leader. At 15, I was the youngest member of the crew and they elected me crew chief! I think I acquitted myself quite handily! We slept in hammocks instead of tents...one hip-high, one shoulder-high, between two trees, with a tarp over the top. Two of our guys chose to sleep in a tent on the ground and they were the only ones that got wet when it rained!

Your goal is definitely do-able. I have found that the low carb/Paleo/keto style diets are the most effective for me. The weight falls off when I do it right. Maybe it will work for you too.

As far as training, when we were doing our shakedown hikes in the early spring of '73, our adult leader used to slip large rocks in our packs when we weren't looking. Getting home and finding out you had been carrying 10 or 20 extra pounds for the last 10 to 15 miles was both infuriating and a source of pride.

We had a ball, and you will, too. One of my own longer term goals is to get my butt back out on the Appalachian Trail in the next 2 to 5 years. Good Luck!
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Well I'm working hard to get the crew ready and I'm doing all the hiking and climbing to get in shape. But I'm not going to make the Philmont weight chart requirement. I'm stuck after losing 140 pounds over 3 years and there just isn't enough time to drop the rest without stupid/dangerous diet restrictions. So I'll keep getting them ready and plan for a week at the training center while they trek
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Have another crew scheduled to start 7/2/19. Not sure I even want to think about trying to make that trip.