Birth Control

Options
I have 2 children 23 months and 11 months. I am NOT planning on having more kids, but my husband isn't quite on the same page yet. My last pregnancy I had a c-section and they couldn't get my bp up for hours afterwards. It was 75/27 and they had to give my ephedrine twice to get me to be responsive. I don't want to risk that again and I am pretty busy with 2 kids now.
So I have been on Depo-provera since December. I am having my period at least 20-25 days per month. It isn't heavy, just annoying. So I am switching. I don't think the pill will work for me due to my forgetfulness and the ring won't stay put for me. So I am thinking the patch (which is free on my insurance), or maybe go on and spring for the Mirena which is about $900. Anyone have any advice? I am not worried about weight gain because I worked hard to get where I am on the Depo the whole time.

Replies

• kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i heard the mirena will cause weight gain too...but then again, i just heard that. i have the implanon and i have been losing like crazy. its good for three years, they just implant it in your arm. theres minimal risks. i love it so far and ive had it for about 2 months. its worth looking into. i think it costs about 600$
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    I had Mirena for about 3 years. No weight gain at all. I did end up with ovarian cysts, but from what I understand that isnt a common side effect. It was great, I never thought about it at all.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do the plain old fashion pill, I use Yasemin (NOT YAZ) if it caused me weight gain I don't know, I have not had a problem. I have been on it forever now.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Is a vasectomy for hubby covered by your insurance?
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have a copper IUD. It's like the Mirena, but it's hormone-free, lasts longer, and has no side effects, since it isn't emitting fake hormones into your body. I'd HIGHLY suggest it!
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    I tried the patch for a while. The problem with it is that they don't give you an extra patch, so if one falls off before your week is up, it totally throws your cycle off. Also, depending on how long it's been since your last shot, the patch could make you very nauseous. I went from the shot to the patch and I must have done it too soon because I was very sick. So I had to take my patch off and wait for my next period before starting again. Good luck with your decision!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE.. and it is the best pill I ever could have taken.

If your worried about forgetting try to take with breakfast or set an alarm on your cell phone.. that has always worked for me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone that I know that used the patch has had a child since using the patch. Take that how you will. I used Mirena and it caused many problems for me including and emergency abdominal surgery. Most people I know that have it really love it though, so my story seems to be a bit out of the norm. I did also have it inserted very soon after birth and I have been told that can cause problems and may have caused mine.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I really like the Paragard. No brainer birth control, good for ten years, and no hormones at all. And as effective as a tubal ligation.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Had no weight gain with my Mirena, but had some bad cramps at first. They went away and now I love it. I've heard the patch has some high risks when it comes to blood clots. They don't even offer it at my doctor's office anymore.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    well i am fixed but in the time i wasnt i did have the patch and i can tell you if you are forgetful with pills and same time the patch was awesome... it stayed on while showering, in pool, just have to remember to change it on sundays.... i have not ever tried the ring, my sister had and had problems with it. wishing you well... that would suck having your( . ) for 20-25 daYS... grr... i was messed up for a while and my age they put me on bcp and now i am semi regular... even though i cant get pregnant... but it beats the messed up schedule i had...take care
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The mirena would be the best becuase it will help stop your constant period, no weight gain, there is a chance to ovarian cysts, but those typically resolve on their own. It's good for 5 years and you never have to think about it.

Side effects are typically cramping for a while after insertion, but since you've had two kids, that may not happen as much.

Hope that helps. Oh, btw, I wouldn't go with the paragard IUD if you want your period to stop, becuase it makes your peiord very heavy and crampy.

I've had both.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tried the patch a few years ago, I didn't like it. After a couple of days the edges would start peeling then it would stick to my shirts and become annoying. I have had the Mirena for 2 years now and I love it! I didn't notice any weight gain.
  • drcain
    drcain Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have used both the Paraguard (copper IUD) and the Mirena IUD in the past. I liked not having to worry about my periods on the Mirena but the hormones messed too much with my moods and sex drive. So I went back to the Paraguard IUD until my hubby went in for his procedure. I preferred not having the extra hormones with the Paraguard IUD.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE.. and it is the best pill I ever could have taken.

If your worried about forgetting try to take with breakfast or set an alarm on your cell phone.. that has always worked for me.

I totally set an alarm when I was on the pill. If I didn't, I'd forget.
  • javalit
    javalit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for about four years and it has had no effect on my weight. It has been wonderful. I don't have to think about it and it has definately worked for me. The added bonus is that I no longer get my period, except for a little spotting every so often.
  • aholtz1
    aholtz1 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am actually on the Implanon, which last for 3 years...its a implant (not harmful at all) that goes in your arm and will last for 3 years...all you do is switch it out at the end of the 3 years and get a new one implanted...I love it because I also had problems remembering the pill and what not...I have had it in for about 1 1/2 years so far and I no longer get my period, which is very nice.
    I definitely wouldn't change it for anything!
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    I've never tried anything else, only pills. But from what I've heard from friends, a couple of them got pregnant while on Mirena. The Depo causes blood clots...
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I take my thyroid meds everyday and I opnly forget maybe once every couple of months, but the repercussions for birth control are much steeper.
    So hubby isn't ready for the "clip clip", but it is covered.
    I used to be on the patch and I now remember how it would slide and the glue would turn black and get on my clothes.
    The implanon can cause heavier periods according to the side effects and it isn't covered either.
    I think I am going with Mirena I will fork out the money and just be done with birth control (and hopefully periods) for the next 5 years until I can get my tubes tied. If I get pregnant then that is what GOD has planned for me and I will be happy of course.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. My appointment is next Friday and I think I am going with Mirena.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you advice but I can't take birth control for health reasons. :(