confused on calories burned.

Options
Ok so i just got a polar f11 hrm. Now i used it this morning and it said i burned 561 cal for 30 min on the treadmill. The treadmill said i burned 260 cal. Hrm said i burned 140 cal on the bike. Bike said i burned 40 cal. Im now unsure of which one i believe. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    bump...would also like to know this answer!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?
    Did it allow you to put in your height, weight, age etc?
    Usually HRMs are more accurate than the machines.
  • jjones649
    jjones649 Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would go with the heart rate monitor. Did either machine/device ask for your age, sex, and weight? if so that device is the most accurate. Most gym machines are set for men in a health weight rage, so what they say you burn may not really reflect your workout.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If it has a chest strap and is a Polar like you said it was, then totally go with what the HRM says.... I dont pay any attn to what the machine says for calories burned anymore....
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    And MFP will give you another number...you will continue to burn calories after you exercise (during cool down) so don't use the number on the machines, use the HRM or the number on MFP.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Were you running or walking on the treadmill, and what intensity? If you were just walking or slowly jogging, then that sounds kind of high. I walk/jog for 30 minutes and burn right around 280-300...however if you were running the whole time and at a pretty good pace, I'd say that's about right.

Does your HRM have a chest strap? Did you program in all of your individual data such as your weight, age, etc? If so, and if your work out was fairly intense, I'd believe the HRM over the machine.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    What resistance levels were you on with the bike and treadmill? Your HRM should be more accurate because its based on your personal info. I can burn a lot in 30 mins on the treadmill but I do high levels. Same with the bike.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If your HRM has a chest strap and all your correct information programed in then go with it.
  • sherri31
    sherri31 Posts: 80
    Options

It does have a chest strap and i have entered all my info in. If it is accurate thats exciting that i burned way more than ive been thinking.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump

What was the treadmill routine? Running for 30 mins would be closer to 500 for me, and walking on max incline, which I also do would be 500+ I have the Polar FT4 and general opinion on here is that these HRM's are more accurate, but then I don't eat back exercise calories so not so important to me... I would like to hear from those who DO eat these back and trust their HRM - are they losing weight at the planned rate or not...
  • sherri31
    Options
    Were you running or walking on the treadmill, and what intensity? If you were just walking or slowly jogging, then that sounds kind of high. I walk/jog for 30 minutes and burn right around 280-300...however if you were running the whole time and at a pretty good pace, I'd say that's about right.

Does your HRM have a chest strap? Did you program in all of your individual data such as your weight, age, etc? If so, and if your work out was fairly intense, I'd believe the HRM over the machine.

I was doing random only at a speed of 3.5.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    That was a good burn then!
    I usually burn 110+ cals per 10 minutes. That's not going super hard either, I'm 200 lbs, heart rate is usually 155-168.
    Nice work!
    Usually the machines tell me I burned more than I really did.

It does have a chest strap and i have entered all my info in. If it is accurate thats exciting that i burned way more than ive been thinking.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I say go with the HRM then! Feels good to know you have been working much harder than you were giving your self credit for doesn't it? :flowerforyou:
  • sherri31
    Options

I say go with the HRM then! Feels good to know you have been working much harder than you were giving your self credit for doesn't it? :flowerforyou:

it sure does feel good.
  • lorettatat
    Options
    bump