Consistency

Options
I have a routine when it comes to working out for a weight loss however when I miss one day it ends up being 3 days and I I'm sure of how to get back on track and stay on track.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Don't miss that day.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, especially when I get busy and workouts fall by the wayside, but I am trying to find a solution. I read recently that if want to get more consistent you can try writing 1s and Os on a calendar. On a day you worked out, no matter the length of the workout, you give yourself a "1". If you miss working out entirely, you give yourself a "0". It should be motivating to see the workout days adding up and of course you don't want to see too many Os. Good luck. I think it's also helpful to remember we usually feel so much better after we work out!
  • Lyricjeremiah23711
    Options
    Don't miss that day.

I know but it's easier said than done after a few days of working out once my alarm goes off on the 5th or 6th day I hit the snooze button I don't know why
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't miss that day.

I know but it's easier said than done after a few days of working out once my alarm goes off on the 5th or 6th day I hit the snooze button I don't know why

put the alarm on the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Don't miss that day.

Have a rest day on the 4th day before you 'need' a rest day and can't get up...

This.
    Find a routine that you CAN sustain week on week.
    I only train 3 days a week, because for me trying to do more just leads to me skipping a lot of sessions.

Rest is important too...
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I just pick up where I left off on my rotation. If lower body was scheduled next, that's what I do.

I try not to skip days, but I'm still rehabilitating a leg/ankle/foot after a bad break a year ago (4 surgeries since then). If there is going to be a lot of "extra" walking or standing on my feet that I normally don't do, then I simply can't add the gym on top of that - at this point, my leg has a limit, and that is where it is. So, if I have to miss a gym day because of that, then the next workout is simply where I left off.

And I agree with the others - if your reason for missing is just being too tired, then a) make sure you're getting to bed early enough, and b) plan your rest days so you are less likely to miss a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't work out for weight loss. Eat less for weight loss. Exercise for health and happiness.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Like the old commercials used to say, "Just do it". It's a part of my daily morning routine so it's never a question of if, just what is the workout. I do take Sun as a rest day but walk our dog or take an afternoon walk or cross-country ski. So Sunday's are my lazy mornings -- reading, etc.
  • philogeneschoices
    Options
    Hello Lyricjeremiah23711 seems like you you haven't back or grounded your workouts with steady written goal or plan. If the reason is not compelling enough then you will always have an excuse to not working out.
    The battle always start in the mind first, so you need to first know "WHY" your working out Then you have to set a date that you want to finish that goal. Remember you are influencing you.
  • kaykaur6703
    kaykaur6703 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel like this some days but I say to myself let’s start with 10 mins and end up doing 40 mins even 30 mins !
  • Lyricjeremiah23711
    Lyricjeremiah23711 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ggeise14 wrote: »
    Like the old commercials used to say, "Just do it". It's a part of my daily morning routine so it's never a question of if, just what is the workout. I do take Sun as a rest day but walk our dog or take an afternoon walk or cross-country ski. So Sunday's are my lazy mornings -- reading, etc.

You are absolutely right because my workout answer part of my morning routine I have gotten better since this post I set my alarm to wake up and I get everything done I also have been going to bed at a steady time I took everyone advice from here and I feel like I'm doing pretty good now I just have to make sure I I am aware of my food options when I'm out and about with the family
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    ggeise14 wrote: »

You are absolutely right because my workout answer part of my morning routine I have gotten better since this post I set my alarm to wake up and I get everything done I also have been going to bed at a steady time I took everyone advice from here and I feel like I'm doing pretty good now I just have to make sure I I am aware of my food options when I'm out and about with the family

Yay, you! That's how it's done: Figuring out new strategies, then taking responsibility for putting them into practice. Betting you're on a path to success, if you keep that up! :)