Protein bars

Options
I’m looking for suggestions on what brand/type of protein bars are the healthiest to eat after a workout. But won’t make me gain weight as I’m currently trying to lose roughly 25lbs the bulk up on muscle. Any help greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My initial suggestion would be to compare the grams protein (and any other macros/etc you may tend to come up low on - possibly fiber or fat) to the number of calories in that item, then compare amongst available products and stuff you already eat.
  • CUEMG2013
    CUEMG2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like Quest protein bars - the flavor is pretty good and they are very high protein (~20 grams) without adding on a lot of extra calories (generally they are 170-200 calories each). The smores flavor is my favorite so far. I'm working on losing a few pounds and have found these helpful as they are both tasty and very filling, enough that they can be used as meal substitutes (i.e., for breakfast on the go).
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    would you consider a powder? often powders contain about half the calories with about the same amount of protein. I make mine with skim milk for added protein, potassium, magnesium, and calcium.

This... I definitely prefer powders for post workout protein. I like protein bars as a easy meal replacement when Im lazy and don't want to prepare real food though. I like to compare the amount of protein in the bar to the calories and determine if its worth eating it. My new favorite is grenade carb killa (still has higher carbs than many other bars lol) but it tastes like a chocolate bar. Super yummy
  • Jeepguy0225
    Jeepguy0225 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do you define "healthy"? This will probably help you get better recommendations, as "healthy" can mean almost anything to various people.

Protein bars will only make you gain weight if they lead to you overall consuming more calories than your body is using.

Something that is light on fat and calories and high on protein. Basically something that I can eat after my workouts that will benefit me so I can keep loseing weight because I workout in the evening so I don’t want to eat a whole lot then go to bed.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    "light" and "high" are relative terms. Beef jerky might be a good option for you.
  • Jeepguy0225
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    would you consider a powder? often powders contain about half the calories with about the same amount of protein. I make mine with skim milk for added protein, potassium, magnesium, and calcium.

As long as I don’t gain weight from it and it benefits me sure lol as I said before I only have time to workout in the evening so something to eat/drink between my work out and bed is what I need.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Since it is late evening when you workout, about how many calories do you usually have left and how short on protein are you usually?

^^ important consideration... good call.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kirkland brand (Costco) are low in sugar, high in protein. A moderate 190 calories so ok for a light breakfast or big snack.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    CUEMG2013 wrote: »
    I really like Quest protein bars - the flavor is pretty good and they are very high protein (~20 grams) without adding on a lot of extra calories (generally they are 170-200 calories each). The smores flavor is my favorite so far. I'm working on losing a few pounds and have found these helpful as they are both tasty and very filling, enough that they can be used as meal substitutes (i.e., for breakfast on the go).

The Quest bars I have are 20g protein, 200 calories and 16g of fiber which is listed as 64% of the daily fiber requirements per the label. Fiber = Filling. The do taste good.
  • Jeepguy0225
    Options
    How do you define "healthy"? This will probably help you get better recommendations, as "healthy" can mean almost anything to various people.

Protein bars will only make you gain weight if they lead to you overall consuming more calories than your body is using.

Something that is light on fat and calories and high on protein. Basically something that I can eat after my workouts that will benefit me so I can keep loseing weight because I workout in the evening so I don’t want to eat a whole lot then go to bed.

If I wanted something that was low fat, low calorie, and higher in protein, I would probably go with a shake rather than a bar. You can generally keep the calories lower with a protein powder and you can choose what you mix it with to adjust the calories.

Just to clarify though, you will continue to lose weight even if you eat a *lot* before going to bed as long as you're in an overall calorie deficit. Eating before bed is only a problem if it gives you trouble while you're sleeping (like heartburn or discomfort).

You know your stuff lol, So basically as long as I eat fewer calories then this app tells me too I’ll keep losing fat weight? Just not dangerous less, I’ve had myfitnesspal for almost 2 months and I’ve never went over my set calorie goal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you have set your goal in MFP to lose weight, then you can eat all the way up to the number of calories the app tells you to eat. You don't have to go under that number because the calorie goal already has a deficit built in.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you have set your goal in MFP to lose weight, then you can eat all the way up to the number of calories the app tells you to eat. You don't have to go under that number because the calorie goal already has a deficit built in.

And if you are exercising, log and eat those calories back too. You need to fuel your workouts.
    If you are not losing as expected increase or decrease your exercise cals, they are estimates and may need adjusting.

Cheers, h.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I prefer Pure Protein bars.

They provide 20g protein in 180-200 cals and only cost 90 cents/bar (a box of 21 for $19) at Costco compared w/about $2.50/bar or & $30/box of 12 for Quest.