Protein bars

2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    @sgt1372, I get the 'pure protein' bars from Costco too. Have you tried their 'smart for life' bars? They are a bit like rice crispy squares covered in chocolate.
    I alternate the 2.

Cheers, h.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How do you define "healthy"? This will probably help you get better recommendations, as "healthy" can mean almost anything to various people.

Protein bars will only make you gain weight if they lead to you overall consuming more calories than your body is using.

Something that is light on fat and calories and high on protein. Basically something that I can eat after my workouts that will benefit me so I can keep loseing weight because I workout in the evening so I don’t want to eat a whole lot then go to bed.

If I wanted something that was low fat, low calorie, and higher in protein, I would probably go with a shake rather than a bar. You can generally keep the calories lower with a protein powder and you can choose what you mix it with to adjust the calories.

Just to clarify though, you will continue to lose weight even if you eat a *lot* before going to bed as long as you're in an overall calorie deficit. Eating before bed is only a problem if it gives you trouble while you're sleeping (like heartburn or discomfort).

You know your stuff lol, So basically as long as I eat fewer calories then this app tells me too I’ll keep losing fat weight? Just not dangerous less, I’ve had myfitnesspal for almost 2 months and I’ve never went over my set calorie goal.

If you set your goal on MFP to lose weight, you don't have to eat under your calorie goal. You just have to meet that goal -- it's designed to put you at a deficit to lose weight.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    My evening go-to if I'm trying to get more protein in on minimal calories is usually cottage cheese (which I love).

I tend to buy the lower protein (but still added protein) food bars (generally Clif or Special-K or the Aldi generic) since they are cheaper and have additional fiber (most protein bars are $2+ and have only 1 g fiber) (I normally have 1/2-1 with either greek yogurt or peanut butter which also have a fair bit of protein) for breakfast and post-workout snack.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    I’ve been using the Quest bars for the protein to calorie ratio combined with the fiber. Find what works for you. Losing fat while maintaining muscle can take longer, it’s worth it if you can be patient enough.
  • I’m looking for suggestions on what brand/type of protein bars are the healthiest to eat after a workout. But won’t make me gain weight as I’m currently trying to lose roughly 25lbs the bulk up on muscle. Any help greatly appreciated!

I like Garden of Life peanut Butter chocolate bars. They are pretty tasty and 200 calories $25 for 12.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Ditto on Quest. Also Fitjoy and Grenade make tasty protein bars for about 200 calories.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Another vote for Quest. Of the protein bars I've tried, they have the best taste but are a bit too sweet for my palate (though they have that wood putty texture that seems to be a feature of most protein bars).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    How do you define "healthy"? This will probably help you get better recommendations, as "healthy" can mean almost anything to various people.

Protein bars will only make you gain weight if they lead to you overall consuming more calories than your body is using.

Something that is light on fat and calories and high on protein. Basically something that I can eat after my workouts that will benefit me so I can keep loseing weight because I workout in the evening so I don’t want to eat a whole lot then go to bed.

If I wanted something that was low fat, low calorie, and higher in protein, I would probably go with a shake rather than a bar. You can generally keep the calories lower with a protein powder and you can choose what you mix it with to adjust the calories.

Just to clarify though, you will continue to lose weight even if you eat a *lot* before going to bed as long as you're in an overall calorie deficit. Eating before bed is only a problem if it gives you trouble while you're sleeping (like heartburn or discomfort).

You know your stuff lol, So basically as long as I eat fewer calories then this app tells me too I’ll keep losing fat weight? Just not dangerous less, I’ve had myfitnesspal for almost 2 months and I’ve never went over my set calorie goal.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. Some of that weight will be fat and some will be muscle. Lift weights to help maintain the muscle.

Best of luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    “Healthy” - take your pick of the protein bars.

Light - eat half. I pre-slice and repackage in ziplocks so I am not tempted to overeat.

Or you can go the direct route and get pure protein powder like whey protein isolate, PB2, or brown rice protein (I have all three in my cupboard.) Try a mix with a little cocoa powder and some Splenda in milk.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Tried both Pure and Kirkland in the last days.

Kirkland wins hand down.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I feel a bit cheated by consuming 150-200 cals on a protein bar. I have a boiled egg or two after a workout, or a couple of cheese and prosciutto roll up snack things. Or some cheese and half an apple.
  • JoanTurbeville
    JoanTurbeville Posts: 1 Member
    I recently tried Health Warrior protein bars. They are all natural and vegan. You can order them online from Health Warriors.com in Richmond, Va.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    For me either

Warrior crunch,
    salted caramel or strawberry cheesecake

Carb killa, peanut butter, mint, Jaffa quake
  • JellyRollJimi
    JellyRollJimi Posts: 5 Member
    Another vote for Quest....chocolate chip cookie dough in the microwave for about 7 seconds is heaven on earth!

RX bars are probably the “healthiest” I’ve had, as the bars are pretty much egg whites, dates, and nuts....but they are lower in protein (like 12 grams vs a typical bar that has 20 grams)
  • biengardo1
    biengardo1 Posts: 7 Member
    RX Bars are incredible and most only have 3-5 ingredients in them--not processed, very clean and very dense. I can eat a half of one for a snack with a glass of water and they are great tasting.
  • Chapmanwife
    Chapmanwife Posts: 6 Member
    I’m looking for suggestions on what brand/type of protein bars are the healthiest to eat after a workout. But won’t make me gain weight as I’m currently trying to lose roughly 25lbs the bulk up on muscle. Any help greatly appreciated!

I just discovered Quest bars the other day. Highly recommend them! 1 gram of sugar, 13 grams of Fiber and 22 grams of protein.. And they taste good!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    biengardo1 wrote: »
    RX Bars are incredible and most only have 3-5 ingredients in them--not processed, very clean and very dense. I can eat a half of one for a snack with a glass of water and they are great tasting.

Psssst. All protein bars are processed. They're not born protein bars, ya know. :p

Op, I like Quest and, while I hate there's only 13 grams of protein in a 200 calorie bar, I looooooove Protein Crunch bars.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Muscle Pharm Combat Casein protein powder mixed with water. I drink vanilla after my evening workout and before bed. Casein is slower to uptake than whey, but I am going to be sleeping and rebuilding the muscles I just used anyway.
    Muscle Pharm is one of the NCAA and IOC approved brands. If they have quality tested the ingredients, it's good enough for me. It's more expensive than some other brands, but I have food allergies and need to know that what my food says it is, is what my food is.