Veganism - recipes and ideas

Options
Imogenechloe
Imogenechloe Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, I'm a vegan and have been for around 2 years now. As a side affect of this I have been loosing a lot of weight and although that wasn't at all my main reason for committing to this lifestyle - I'm welcoming it with open arms! I'm always looking for my next holy grail vegan recipe or the greatest supermarket product etc please share your favourites here and I will share mine - let's help each other through this! Xx

Replies

• IIlliiee
    IIlliiee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    https://deliciouslyella.com/2016/09/16/cacao-and-almond-energy-balls/ these, just these!
    You can buy them in the supermarket but they taste so much better when you make them at home, really gooey and fudgy, you can freeze them really well.
    They work amazingly as a base for Millionaire shortbread, so top with some vegan caramel https://pinchofyum.com/5-minute-magic-vegan-caramel-sauce
    leave it to set in the freezer then pour melted dark chocolate on top, so so good

What is the best brand of vegan butter (especially for baking?) I've been vegetarian for 1.5 years, really wanting to go vegan. I've found some great alternatives, but butter is one of the unknown. I've tried Vitalife, and it just tasted like plastic to me, it had a really strange after-taste. I've heard Pure Olive Oil is supposed to be good. Any thoughts?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    IIlliiee wrote: »
    https://deliciouslyella.com/2016/09/16/cacao-and-almond-energy-balls/ these, just these!
    You can buy them in the supermarket but they taste so much better when you make them at home, really gooey and fudgy, you can freeze them really well.
    They work amazingly as a base for Millionaire shortbread, so top with some vegan caramel https://pinchofyum.com/5-minute-magic-vegan-caramel-sauce
    leave it to set in the freezer then pour melted dark chocolate on top, so so good

What is the best brand of vegan butter (especially for baking?) I've been vegetarian for 1.5 years, really wanting to go vegan. I've found some great alternatives, but butter is one of the unknown. I've tried Vitalife, and it just tasted like plastic to me, it had a really strange after-taste. I've heard Pure Olive Oil is supposed to be good. Any thoughts?

Are you in the US? Miyoko's Creamery cultured vegan butter is truly the best commercial vegan butter I've ever tried.
  • IIlliiee
    Options
    No I'm in the UK so order stuff from another country would just be expensive unfortunately
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    No I'm in the UK so order stuff from another country would just be expensive unfortunately

That makes sense. Have you considered making your own? I like this recipe (it's from the woman who owns the company that makes the butter I recommended above): https://luminousvegans.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/homemade-vegan-butter-miyoko/

• alihoule93
    alihoule93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Do you get Becel in the UK? Here in Canada, Becel makes a vegan margarine that I love for baking! (Could be other places too, I've never had to look!)
  • IIlliiee
    Options
    [/quote]
    Do you get Becel in the UK? Here in Canada, Becel makes a vegan margarine that I love for baking! (Could be other places too, I've never had to look!) [/quote]

According to the internet we do, it's branded as Flora, not Becel...not seen a dairy free version of it though, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it and give it a go!
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do a Pistachio Crusted Broccoli which is sinful.

PM for the recipe. I eyeball it so it won't be precise.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I do a Pistachio Crusted Broccoli which is sinful.

PM for the recipe. I eyeball it so it won't be precise.

That sounds amazing. I love pistachios and broccoli . . .
  • alihoule93
    alihoule93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you get Becel in the UK? Here in Canada, Becel makes a vegan margarine that I love for baking! (Could be other places too, I've never had to look!) [/quote]

According to the internet we do, it's branded as Flora, not Becel...not seen a dairy free version of it though, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it and give it a go!
    [/quote]

Awesome!! Yeah idk this one just says "vegan" on the actual tub. Packaging is green? Haha, though with branding you never know!
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    recipes galore on my site

https://veganadvocate.azurewebsites.net/
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am not vegan but try to be 90% plant based.

A couple of vegan sites friends here have shared:

http://ohsheglows.com
    I love the recipes, esp. vegan chili and spiced lentil soup

Another good vegan one is:
    https://cleanfooddirtygirl.com

• IIlliiee
    Options
    alihoule93 wrote: »
    Do you get Becel in the UK? Here in Canada, Becel makes a vegan margarine that I love for baking! (Could be other places too, I've never had to look!)

[/quote]

Awesome!! Yeah idk this one just says "vegan" on the actual tub. Packaging is green? Haha, though with branding you never know! [/quote]

Found it! Light green packaging and love it! Doesn't have that weird after taste that the other dairy free stuff does. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I started a blog of my recipes
    Www.aweetandsourpower.wordpress.com

I use to eat lots of premade vegan food but other than not having meat or dairy it was processed food similar to junk food I'm trying to stay away from.

There are lots of yummy treats for sure if you wanted to go that way, gardein makes tons of frozen foods that taste great!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I routinely cook vegetarian and/or vegan. Sometimes it is a whole meal, other times a good portion of the dishes. Since we like eat foods from around the world it is pretty easy. Favourites include Cuisines from across Asia/SE Asia.

Last night I made Balinese: jackfruit and pepper braised in coconut curry, gaddo gaddo, Nasi Goring as vegan dishes (I don’t use the shrimp paste in my spice mixes). I also made banana leaf wrapped prawns and sweet soy sauce braised chilli beef for the meat eaters...

For vegan recipes then oh she glows books are great too!

wlvjnbo2xrrq.jpeg
    4ctot766rfsw.jpeg
    0yw6xnt8qkd5.jpeg
    yh6bfqhaoz9c.jpeg
    23v32j1r5h0n.jpeg
  • jaclynndabbs
    jaclynndabbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I had a Buddha bowl. I started with quinoa and kale (from the freezer at Aldi's) then topped it with a small baked sweet potato that I cut into bite size pieces. Added some broccoli and cannelloni beans. Topped all of that with a dressing I made from unsweetened cashew yogurt, garlic, nutritional yeast, tumeric and curry. It was fantastic!
  • nandistokely
    nandistokely Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best Veggie Burgers Ever

Original Recipe
    https://www.embodyfitnessandnutrition.com/blog/copycat-crispy-quinoa-vegefi-burgers

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
    • 1 cup uncooked small green lentils
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 1 medium zucchini, shredded
    • 2 medium carrots, shredded
    • 12 baby bella mushrooms, finely minced
    • 2 cups red wine
    • 1 cup vegetable broth
    • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    • 2 cups plain panko breadcrumbs
    Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, herbs, etc
    I cook with Smart Balance or Kerrygold.

Directions:
    1. In a medium-size saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, turn heat to low and cover. Cook for 35 minutes, or until lentils are soft and water is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Rinse the quinoa well before adding to the boiling water. Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. Set the quinoa and lentils aside to cool.
    2. In a sauté pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of butter on medium and add the onion. Cook until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the zucchini, carrot and mushrooms. Continue cooking until softened, giving it the occasional stir. Season to taste. Remove from heat and transfer the vegetables to a mixing bowl to cool.
    3. Pour the wine and broth into the same sauté pan and bring to a slow rolling boil. Don't forget salt, pepper, and herbs. Cook until reduced to 1/3 of a cup. Add the wine reduction and the cheese, if using, to the vegetable mixture. Then stir in 2 cups of cooked lentils, 2 cups of cooked quinoa and the breadcrumbs. Transfer half of the mixture into a blender and puree. Spoon the puree back into the mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
    5. Pour the remaining cooked quinoa onto a cookie sheet. Use a rubber spatula to spread it into a thin layer. Form the vegetable mixture into 8 patties. Firmly press each patty onto the cooked quinoa layer. Flip the patties over and repeat. Then, gently press the palm of your hand around the edges and over the sides of each patty to ensure that the quinoa completely coats the patties in a thin layer. Brush off any excess.
    6. Clean the sauté pan, heat the butter over medium high heat and cook the patties individually, 3-5 minutes per side. Use a thin spatula to gently flip the patties. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Add a slice of cheese if using, and cover the pan until the cheese melts. I suggest an open faced sandwich with sharp cheddar and Dijon mustard.

Yields 8 burgers

You can make the patties and freeze them. Just defrost and cook as usual.