December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 I agree with @stoshew71. Skip's old running coach did that with his wife. They drove across country and ran in every state.

I want awesome back, woo could have left and hug could have been in it's place.
    "woo" to me was more like this thought:

57tuvub64lag.jpg

not sure why but that's my brain for you.

Didn't run yesterday because of the fog, didn't run today because it was pouring I mean pouring when I got up. I'm going to be very hard pressed to meet goal this month. I'm doing lots of hurry up and wait in the new job. Need a government badge, fill out forms, wait .... need CAC...forms and wait... need training...oops first AKO account...form and wait. Can do training tomorrow...can't get government computer until I do training.... so I wait. So this nice company is paying me to sit in my office and play. I've done all my year end training etc. ugh, makes for very long days. I upswing is I made eye and doctor appts and got them all done ha ha.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    For me, I always considered "Woo" to be the same as w00t!! or Woo-hoo! So, if you get a Woo from me, it's positive.

Can you even see who gave you a "woo"? I do not think so... but even if you could, this is a perfect example of why "woo" does not work. If you get 100 woos for good reasons and 100 for bad... you have 200 woos. Now when they start using these stats (which they said they will in 2018) they will assume you have 200 bad marks. Words like "awesome" have clearly defined uses. They need to have "woo" replaced with something clear. IMO.

They did not say what they plan to do with the stats, but I think you can see the problem pretty easily. If they never use them, then who cares? I could not even tell you what my stats are, not even sure how to look them up if I wanted to know.

Again, their house, their rules. For me, I will do my best to completely ignore it and go get ready for a run instead. :)

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I LOVE that idea. So cool. Maybe when my kids leave the nest or decide to run with me. I can actually retire in 11 years (at 53) but I don't know if financially it will make sense. We will see.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @seanevan10 I want to do the Arizona Trail eventually. It's about 800 miles from north to south (or south to north). Probably just hike because it would already be a huge endeavor.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Another 4km in the pocket. That means I am more than halfway there for the month A little behind schedule due to winter weather but not too much. My husband and I will be running a 10k Urban trail run in July we decided For him to get into running again after a few weeks of not being able to due to work commitments and for me as a first "official" run.

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    For me, I always considered "Woo" to be the same as w00t!! or Woo-hoo! So, if you get a Woo from me, it's positive.

Can you even see who gave you a "woo"? I do not think so...

No, that was tongue-in-cheek.

• power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    power0304 wrote: »
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 7 - 16 km run
    December 8 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 9 - 16 km run / 11 km run
    December 10 - 5 km club run / 16 km walk
    December 11 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 12 - 10 km run
    December 13 - 12 km run
    December 14 - 16 km run
    December 15 - 18.5 km run / strength training
    December 16 - 18.5 km run
    December 17 - rest day
    December 18 - 16 km run
    December 19 - Stairmaster / Strength training
    December 20 - 16 km run
    December 21 - 16 km run

274 km - goal 350 km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    All this woo-ness. Tsk tsk tsk... Get to runnin' dem legs, not the mouth mon.

Not sure why Hermies from Futurama spoke through me there... Boredom?

Not running related. My coworker had to put his dog of 15 years down yesterday. So I got him a card, 30$ to Petco and a gift certificate for 1 dog adoption at the shelter. I'm not a gift giver.... Feels wierd.
    Running related. I ran..... Haha! :smirk: Ok I ran the other day the max distance my doc said I could. I have more niggles. I may not look it on the outside, but the inside me is 149 years old.

This may be it for a while.

I also created a thread in the MFP running challenge group for the injured that feel like all they do in this thread is complain, or need to commiserate with other gimps. Heck, maybe if you heathies feel like shining you're little light on us with some words of encouragement... :weary: we'll take it.

No hugs. I don't like being touched. :relaxed: love ya
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    12/1 9.75mi
    12/2 4mi
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4mi
    12/5 6mi
    12/6 5.64mi
    12/7 10mi
    12/8 4mi
    12/9 4.3mi
    12/10 rest
    12/11 5.5mi
    12/12 4mi
    12/13 9.25mi
    12/14 3.31mi
    12/15 10mi
    12/16 5mi
    12/17 rest
    12/18 5.5mi
    12/19 4mi
    12/20 8mi

6 miles plus 8 strides. Felt pretty good, the weather is perfect running weather. Cloudy and mid-50ies.

Afterwards I went to my kid’s school and had lunch with my 3rd grader and then with my 1st grader. It was their last day of school before Christmas break. So I had a slice of pizza, 2 cannolis, a few tortilla chips, 2 Hawaiian sweet rolls... good grief. I logged it all so dinner will have to be light!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    01/12 4.13 miles
    05/12 4.14 miles - really enjoyed this run, felt I was able to push a little harder.
    06/12 3.53 miles - windy, wet, dark, sluggish - everything yesterday wasn't
    10/12 4.04 miles
    19/12 3.83 miles
    20/12 3.53 miles - nearly didn't go bet feel so much better now

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I know you did the woo. :grin: still better than a hug.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - that sounds amazing! But as @stoshew71 said you need to modify your route to see all of us! Orlando! Although in the summer running here is not so fun.
    You can't get your wife to come along? I think you will find it hard to just go a mile on the trails, lol. They are going to be so beautiful... you won't want to stop. Can Kody come? Then you have to find dog friendly hotels which can be difficult and when you eat out.... what does he do? That sounds so fun though!!! You definitely have to plan it out.

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Dec goal 100 miles
    Dec 1.........0 miles.......MTD 0
    Dec 2.......13 miles.......MTD 13
    Dec 3.......10.7 miles....MTD 23.7
    Dec 4.......5.3 miles......MTD 29
    Dec 5.......5 miles.........MTD 34
    Dec 6.......2.2 miles......MTD 36.2
    Dec 7.......0 miles.........MTD 36.2
    Dec 8.......3.2 miles......MTD 39.4
    Dec 9.......10.2 miles....MTD 49.6
    Dec 10.....11.1 miles....MTD 60.7
    Dec 11.....0 miles.........MTD 60.7
    Dec 12.....2.4 miles......MTD 63.1
    Dec 13.....4 miles.........MTD 67.1
    Dec 14.....0 miles.........MTD 67.1
    Dec 15.....0 miles.........MTD 67.1
    Dec 16....,3.2 miles......MTD 70.3
    Dec 17.....14 miles.......MTD 84.3
    Dec 18.....3.1 miles......MTD 87.
    Dec 19.....2 miles.........MTD 89

Repeating Week 5 of C25K with my daughter since she got off track during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. She wants to run her 1st 5K in January. I’m on the hunt for one in the area now. Have a great day everyone.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Today was a rest day - so just one mile for the streak. I told my mom yesterday - remind me tomorrow morning - only go ONE MILE. She didn't. And I was so tempted to go farther because I absolutely love running in these 30-45 degree mornings while visiting here in VA. But I don't want to overdo it and get hurt. Although looking at my mileage - I only have 55 miles for the month ... so that is certainly not overdoing it. I have 78 for the streak, which started 8 days prior. Jeez, am I running less because I'm streaking?! Oh well, it's all good. I just didn't have time to plan it out but now that I'm on break from both the HS and university where I teach I should plan out the rest of the days!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14
    12/7 - 1.3 miles #RWRunStreak Day 15 + strength training W3C
    12/8 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 16
    12/9 - 7 miles! #RWRunStreak Day 17
    12/10 - 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day 18 + Glutes W4A
    12/11 - 3.11 miles #RWRunStreakDay 19
    12/12 - 2 miles #RWRunStreakDay 20 + Glutes W4B
    12/13 - 3 miles #RWRunStreakDay21 + arms
    12/14 - 3.5 miles #RWRunStreakDay22
    12/15 - 1 mile #RWRunStreakDay23 + Glutes W4C
    12/16 - 3 miles — 1 mile each in GA, SC, NC #RWRunStreakDay24
    12/17 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 25
    12/18 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 26 + Glutes- W5-modified
    12/19 - 8 miles #RWRunStreak Day 27
    12/20 - rest day, 1 Mile for the Streak — #RWRunStreak Day 28

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I know you did the woo. :grin: still better than a hug.

Nope, I was out running. Just got back.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@lporter229

He is either pretty good with few symptoms except fatigue.....or in the hospital, there isn't much middle ground. Only going on 3 1/2 years though.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - that sounds amazing! But as @stoshew71 said you need to modify your route to see all of us! Orlando! Although in the summer running here is not so fun.
    You can't get your wife to come along? I think you will find it hard to just go a mile on the trails, lol. They are going to be so beautiful... you won't want to stop. Can Kody come? Then you have to find dog friendly hotels which can be difficult and when you eat out.... what does he do? That sounds so fun though!!! You definitely have to plan it out.

I thought about meeting up with some folks to run with me but in order to do it in just 16 days, I won't be able to go too far off course and still have a chance of finishing before my vacation runs out. Trying to schedule the runs would also pose a problem. I suspect that a short run might turn into a long run in some places where the trail was just too wonderful to quit running (as you mentioned) and put me behind schedule. Or maybe I'd need more sleep (or less) than anticipated. I would LOVE to run with folks from this thread though. The likely scenario is that I'd post my anticipated schedule a day ahead of time and folks could join me if it works out for them.

I hadn't thought about bringing Kody but that might be a possibility. He'd be 12 years old by then but I do plan on keeping him in shape and at the correct weight. Hotels and eating out wouldn't be a problem. To keep the cost of the trip down I'd be camping or sleeping in the car and making my own meals and coffee. I might get a room once as a treat but will keep my creature comforts to a minimum. If something were to happen to Kody and he'd be unable to run, I'd have to cut my trip short and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I do love that idea though so I'll keep the possibility open.

I'm not going to list them but I've already figured out where I want to run in 13 of the 48 states. Subject to change of course. I'm expecting longer runs where I have to drive further between states and shorter runs in the east where the runs will be closer together. I figure 100 miles for the trip is realistic so that's about 2 miles per state. And there may be some bonus runs in there too in some of the larger states. Or maybe some runs where I can hit two states in a single run? Or run loops around 4 Corners monument to get 4 states in one run?

What would really make the run fun would be to talk one of my kids into going with me.

This isn't the only Big Plan I have. I also want to run the Camino de Santiago some time after retirement.

It may be just a dream, but I do hope to make it work and planning it is certainly something I enjoy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Sub 2 hour marathon with no water or fueling and almost 1000 feet of elevation. You know, that sub 4 marathon might actually be doable. I really need to find time for some actual long runs though.
    um.... unofficial World Record?