Goal weight?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm 5'7" and 140. Could you tell me what I should weigh?
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options

140 at 5'7" sounds good to me? Maybe just try to improve fitness/lift weights and not worry about it?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    So I started at 163 pounds, I'm not at 138 pounds..
    I'm 5'4 female. What should my goal weight be?

What's wrong with your weight now?

She's only 5'4" at that weight.

She's most likely going to be "only" 5'4" at any weight (although I grew a half-inch somewhere between high school and my 30s - I had stopped measuring in between because I figured I was through growing, then noticed that when the doctor's office measured, I was always a half-inch taller than what I had been).

138 and a 5'4" is in the healthy BMI rang (23.7).
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

And? What's wrong with 138lb at 5.4"

Do you...want her to get taller? I’ve been trying, so far no dice.

So?

She's most likely going to be "only" 5'4" at any weight (although I grew a half-inch somewhere between high school and my 30s - I had stopped measuring in between because I figured I was through growing, then noticed that when the doctor's office measured, I was always a half-inch taller than what I had been).

138 and a 5'4" is in the healthy BMI rang (23.7).

Oh my! I completely forgot to check back here. @WhereIsPJSoles Lol! How funny! xD I totally misread the OP. I did not realize it was a typo when she wrote "So I started at 163 pounds, I'm not at 138 pounds." I thought she was 163 lbs right now, and had not yet reached 138 lbs (perhaps an random goal?). Indeed, at 138 lbs she is just within range of a healthy BMI.
    @shelbyantonette1fty7 I am two inches shorter, so for me, 138 lbs is slightly overweight, and I remember that I still looked chubby. It wasn't until I was under ~125 lbs that I started liking how I looked. However, another woman on this forum is your height and consistently struggles to get in the 130's, but looks ridiculously stunning. Therefore, as others have written, within certain limits, your goal weight is just arbitrary. Are you healthy both mentally and physically? Are *YOU* happy with how you look? Think about it, and take the proper course of action from there.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Go with what you are happy with! I set a goal of the high end of my BMI. I'm 5'7", so it said 158lbs. I'm 169 now and don't feel like those last 11 pounds will make me "done". I've decided to make a new goal of 150 and then reasses again. I'm trying to look at things as more fluid and not a hard set end goal. Gonna take it a few pounds at a time at this point!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 137. I look good anywhere between 115-145.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3 and want to be 115. I don’t know how I feel when I get to 130 though. I might decide I want to stop, who knows. The only thing I’m after at the end of the day is a flat stomach.
  • CLN_Joyce
    CLN_Joyce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and want to get to One-derland.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    When you like how you feel and what you see in the mirror then you will know that you are there, not neccesarily about X number ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go with what you are happy with! I set a goal of the high end of my BMI. I'm 5'7", so it said 158lbs. I'm 169 now and don't feel like those last 11 pounds will make me "done". I've decided to make a new goal of 150 and then reasses again. I'm trying to look at things as more fluid and not a hard set end goal. Gonna take it a few pounds at a time at this point!

I'm 5-7 and the last 11 lbs made a huge difference! Recomp also has helped improve my appearance and strength with no change in weight after 14 months in maintenance at the high end of BMI range.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on my body's previous "happy weight" - where I was fit, trim, and I could maintain that weight without excessive calorie cutting, but with mindful choices. The weight my body was happy at.

Since fitness is goal #1 for me, the weight can be slow to come off, but will be easy to maintain once I get there as long as I stay active.

My goal is 128-130. I'm 5'7"
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Goal weights are completely dependant on the person. I'm 5'11 and 141lbs, so my views are skewed.

My Mom is 63 and 5'4 and I think she's aiming for 145 (which, yes, is still considered overweight, but for her looks great).

If I get above 150 I start looking "chubby". I've seem people who weigh 160 at my height and look AMAZING. Totally depends on body type.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

You can use the calculator I linked to above to get a range:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 128lbs. I don't really have a goal weight, I just wanna appear leaner with some muscle tone.
  • lingreg2198
    lingreg2198 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’5 and I’m currently 117 and goal weight is 112.
  • mfz73
    mfz73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and aiming for 115-125 lbs, anything higher than that and I will not be satisfied. I already know this because I have been at a lower weight in the past. At 140 lbs, I still felt and looked overweight. I'm not judging, just stating my truth. Do what works for you. It's your body.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I'm 5'7" and I range between 135-140. I'm fit and happy with that weight. I could go a bit lower or a bit higher and still look good. I guess it depends on your body type/fitness how any given weight is going to look on a person.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    And this is why there is a range of healthy weights for the same height. Not one number fits all!

I'm 5 foot 9, currently at 135 lbs, shooting for 125 lbs.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'3 male, currently at the heaviest I've been...180. I want to get to 150 during 2018, and then get down to around 130.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Know what the beauty of a goal weight number is? It's not written in stone. You can freely change it upward or downward whenever you feel like it, for any reason or no reason at all.

Choose a weight that sounds good to you, considering your height and frame. Say it's 135, just to pick a number out of the air. Start working toward it. If you like how you look/feel when you get to 140, congratulations - you've just reached your goal weight. If you get to 135 and still aren't satisfied with how you look/feel, shoot for 130 and re-assess. Repeat as necessary until you get where you want to be.