Newbie! Exercising at home/for free?

Options
I'm currently the biggest I've ever been but can't afford to go to a gym. What can I do to
Trim and tone for free? I can't run as I have very large breasts and even with three sports bra's on running is too painful. Any ideas appreciated

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The bodyweight programmes can all be done at home, as can some of the dumbbell ones, and are a great place to start. I'm currently doing the Strong Curves bodyweight programme (I think under the bodyweight ones as Bootyful Beginnings) and love it - the Strong Curves e-book is something like $8 from Amazon, and includes all the templates for the more advanced programmes as well, plus instructions for something like 300 different exercises all up. I've also done the Nerd Fitness one in the past. Fitness Blender is another great website with tons of free workout available. Even yoga can give you a good bodyweight workout, that's where I started out, and it's particularly good for developing core strength and functional movement. I highly recommend Yoga With Adriene on YouTube. And walking. Never underestimate walking!
  • PoppyFlower1
    PoppyFlower1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :-)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    The main factor in weight loss is making sure you're in a calorie deficit - this comes down to you being accurate about what you eat and drink that contributes to your calorie intake. Losing fat/weight will make you look and feel more trim and toned.

Exercising with or without a gym is great - the body weight programs mentioned above would be a good start for incorporating resistance training. This will help you to maintain muscle. You can also just make an effort to move more - walk, take the stairs, dance etc
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have never used a gym.

Check out www.fitnessblender.com (you can search specifically by low impact workouts which might be the best for getting started). 100% free.

Also check out Leslie Sansone at-home walking workouts. They're fab. You can find them on YouTube or DVDs online or places like Target or WalMart.

You can burn calories as simply as marching in place and other low impact movements! No need to run or go outside of your home whatsoever.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I echo all the previous recommendations. Also, do you by chance have stairs in your home? Walking up and down those for 30 min. will get that heart rate up! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have never gone to a gym, I pick someone new each and every day and do it free
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Agree with all other comments. I do use a gym but when I started I was self conscious about my weight (I learned later I shouldn't have been but that's another story), so I started with, just moving. I decided that in my 40 minute break in work I'd use 10 minutes, every day, and walk. That was the start and I built on that over a year from 10, to 20, to 30...you get the picture. I eventually joined a gym but I lost a lot of weight by doing that.

Bottom line? Find something you enjoy and do that. Best of luck to you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My home is my gym. I have a stationary bike now and dumb bells but I used to use the workouts on youtube like Jessica Smith TV and Fitness Blender - so many to choose from so there's no chance of getting bored :smile: .
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Search for "Leslie Sansone" on YouTube. She has walking workouts that are basically gentle aerobics (no jumping-type moves) in different lengths so you can find something that works for your fitness level.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    12 inch Aerobic Step is a great way to get your cardio in. Packs away easily.

I get mine out, put some music on and away I go. Low impact and progressive, as you lose weight and get fitter there are all manner of ways to make your Aerobic step programme harder. This is great for CV fitness and calorie burn

But you need to be doing resistance work too as mentioned above. I promise you you can do it if I can. I was 292lb, sick and seriously unfit.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm currently the biggest I've ever been but can't afford to go to a gym.

Understand, as others have said, that weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym.

Exercise is great for health but unless you are doing tremendous amounts of exercise you will far more effectively generate a calorie deficit through not eating things rather than by exercise.
  • debbiebrzo
    debbiebrzo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really like the popsugar fitness videos on youtube!
  • gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've lost 14 lbs so far by counting calories and getting 10,000 steps most days. I've missed a day or two here or there. You don't have to get an expensive Fitbit. I just use a pedometer from Amazon that was $20. I like the Omron brand as it's small enough to fit in my bra. I wouldn't start out with 10,000 steps if you usually get 2,000 - 3,000, as I did before starting. I got shin splints and had to rest a week. Just wear it for a day or two to see what you average, then gradually build it up. It does tone for those who start with no muscle tone. My husband has noticed and he's not one for empty compliments! I march in place a lot because I homeschool and don't have time for long walks. So I march or jog in place as I teach and supervise. It really works, and isn't hard to do!

I have very low energy, always have even when a normal weight, and this is good because it helps tone but doesn't leave me so exhausted that I can't move for hours or days. I'm sure higher intensity exercise is more effective, but not for me, because I simply don't end up doing it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a good sports bra. You shouldn't let bad bras stop you from doing what you want to do. I strongly recommend Panache, which only makes bras in larger cup sizes. You can sometimes find them cheaper on Amazon. Grab a tape measure and enter your measurements on bratabase.com to figure out the right bra size range for you.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest Fitness Blender and Leslie Sanson. Fitness Blender is nice because you can enter your fitness level, what type of exercise, how long you want to exercise, etc. to get videos that you can do. They have videos from gentle stretches to intense cardio. Leslie Sanson is basic and easy, but keeps you moving. I found one of her DVDs at a yardsale and I like to pop it in occasionally because I really don't mind it at all. She's upbeat and if you have joint issues, her videos are gentle.

You may also want to look into "prison" bodyweight exercises or "You are your own gym." They're great if you don't have equipment.

Walking is always an option as well. You don't gotta go fast, you just need to move more than you are now. Increase your speed or distance a bit every few days.

I'm also going to echo what others have said about eating less calories and healthier foods though. Most major weight loss comes from your diet. Exercise just helps you look and feel better.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym and just recently joined a zumba class once a week. YouTube is great, I use fitness blender, gymra, and pop fitness. I did invest in dumbells over time, but not right at first.
    Sports bras fit more snug than you would think, once I found a properly fitting one it made a huge difference. I got a danskin one for 9 bucks at Wal Mart that fits well like my other more expensive ones.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I started resistance training at home doing sets of wall push-ups every other day or so. After a bit I added squats and lunges, then started doing the Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight circuit. I just bought the Fitness Blender bodyweight program, so that's next up for me. Working out at home is the best. Although if you have the space, I would suggest investing in a floor mat (I've got a couple sets of these) - they're reasonably cheap and make working out a lot more comfortable.
  • timgallegos15
    timgallegos15 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone is saying, google body weight exercises and start off with those, always increasing sets and reps, at your pace. Start off with walking. Walking burns calories as well.... But like someone mentioned, use MFP to be in a caloric deficit, to lose body fat and weight.... Best of luck, you got this....
  • PoppyFlower1
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a good sports bra. You shouldn't let bad bras stop you from doing what you want to do. I strongly recommend Panache, which only makes bras in larger cup sizes.
    Thanks, I love panache and only wear their tango 2 range, I have literally one in every colour. It's not just the bra's though when I went for a run in the park I was harassed and followed by....believe it or not......children. So the issues are endless
  • PoppyFlower1
    Options
    Thankyou :-)