Emotional Eating

Options
Does anyone struggle badly with emotional eating or has in the past? Like eating when upset/lonely/bored etc. What do you do can combat this?

I'm struggling quite badly at the moment even though I know it's not good for me but in my depression lows I don't care.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All of us do. Even those of us who don't experience depression. Some of us learn to control our emotions and our eating. It's not impossible, although in the depth of depression it may seem difficult.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try to stay busy. Being busy/productive is the best deterrent I've found. I do still struggle at times though.
  • RM4Fitness
    RM4Fitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time. It works to try and focus on something else. I try to channel it into something productive but sometimes it’s just better to nap than to give into the comfort of food. Keep your chin up, you can overcome it.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yep. Definitely. I am more aware now of when I'm eating emotionally, which is weird. I often have an inner monologue of "you're not even actually enjoying this." Next step is finding a different solution!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. Usually, I can talk myself out of it, but I keep diet coke around for when I can't.

The ONLY time I drink soda is when I feel like i NEED sweets and can't turn it off. Then I will have a diet coke, and it's so freaking sweet it usually hits the craving and it's no calories.

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    All of us do. Even those of us who don't experience depression. Some of us learn to control our emotions and our eating. It's not impossible, although in the depth of depression it may seem difficult.

^ Agree. Changing my usual thought responses to stress, disappointment and boredom has been helpful. Can’t out-think clinical depression of course, but watching and changing old thought patterns has been helpful.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Yes. I try to stay busy. Being busy/productive is the best deterrent I've found. I do still struggle at times though.

Great advice.

In order for me to keep busy, I have to avoid the old habit of over-exercising so I can be more consistent and keep my energy steady all day.

I used to try to out-exercise emotional eating and then I was exhausted and way too hungry and it perpetuated the cycle. Rest days became crash days, a trap for emotional eating. I work out smarter now, shorter workouts but daily, and I try to only exhaust myself occasionally and for fun, not for outrunning my diet. I’m struggling a bit right now too and need to get back on track myself.
  • gina9410
    gina9410 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spiderpug wrote: »
    My cat was killed 2 days ago and I just wanted to eat anything and everything. I kept telling myself it won't bring him back or stop the pain now the 'need' for that instant food gratification has gone - miss him :(

I’m so sorry for your loss! I know that doesn’t help the pain (I just had to put my dog down in October), but you deserve a little grace during such a hard time. Take care xx.
  • TbGirl92
    TbGirl92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Horribly. Any amount of stress starts triggering the urge. I just keep full and remind myself that I'm not actually hungry. Or instead of eating I clean, exercise, and keep busy.
  • biengardo1
    biengardo1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I want to emotional eat or eat out of boredness or being tired, I will pull out a good juicy book and get my mind elsewhere. It usually helps. After about 15 minutes, I am over it. When all else fails, got to bed if at night!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I found this thread today ... feeling the same ... the suggestions here really helped me.

@wellnesschaser I think that is what I have been doing - trying to do enough cardio so I can "earn" the soothing treats. And not really making progress as I near goal.

And @acorsaut89 I had just been browsing social media for the first time in weeks and viewing superficial and curated bits of lives ... yeah, no.

Best of all I don't feel alone at this moment... thanks for this ...
  • gaby_gz1988
    gaby_gz1988 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do. My depression and anxiety started about 2 years ago and I gained a lot of weight. I have always been overweight but not like this. I didn’t know it then, but I have a hormone imbalance. I also have hypothyroidism. I have good days and bad days. I am not sure if I’ll ever be able to control it (emotional eating), but I try to take it one day at a time. I find that occupying my mind helps. Good luck!
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater; I've known this for years! I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed, bored, etc.. It can be very hard to combat this especially during our low moods. I always crave junk when I'm stressed and I also get the "I don't care" attitude. In reality for me; I think I use it as an excuse. "Oh, I am sad or stressed over something in my life so that is more important than what I choose to eat right now". However, I never feel better after indulging too much; it usually makes me feel worse because I know that I am not happy with the weight I am at. I am really trying to be more mindful about the choices that I make and I'm not always successful in doing so. It's probably something I'll continue to struggle with but being more self aware is really helpful.
  • okborednow
    okborednow Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Spiderpug wrote: »
    My cat was killed 2 days ago and I just wanted to eat anything and everything. I kept telling myself it won't bring him back or stop the pain now the 'need' for that instant food gratification has gone - miss him :(

So very very sorry :'( My lovely little black and white boy Zorro died in October and we still miss him every day.

I echo the others that say cut yourself a little slack if you need to but try not to let it slide into a massive fall off the wagon. Hugs to you
  • okborednow
    okborednow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater; I've known this for years! I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed, bored, etc.. It can be very hard to combat this especially during our low moods. I always crave junk when I'm stressed and I also get the "I don't care" attitude. In reality for me; I think I use it as an excuse. "Oh, I am sad or stressed over something in my life so that is more important than what I choose to eat right now". However, I never feel better after indulging too much; it usually makes me feel worse because I know that I am not happy with the weight I am at. I am really trying to be more mindful about the choices that I make and I'm not always successful in doing so. It's probably something I'll continue to struggle with but being more self aware is really helpful.

This totally resonates with me! It so hard not to say *kitten* it when you're feeling like this and just eating what you want isn't it?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. Am struggling with it right now, actually. Rough week.

I’ve found that if I try to reframe what I need as “being kind to myself,” it helps. I drink tea and cuddle up under a blanket, or take a hot shower. I’ll allow myself a high-quality treat like a piece of dark chocolate (as opposed to a high-volume one like a big bag of chips). I take lots of breaks from work to rest and walk around. I watch BBC shows that I find soothing. I go to bed a little early.

I do what I need to do to feel cared for. Eating too much doesn’t make me feel cared for, so I redirect my attention elsewhere.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am super grateful for the recent responses here ...
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    I’ve found that if I try to reframe what I need as “being kind to myself,” it helps. ...
    I do what I need to do to feel cared for. Eating too much doesn’t make me feel cared for, so I redirect my attention elsewhere.
    However, I never feel better after indulging too much; it usually makes me feel worse ... being more self aware is really helpful.

Taking these as medicine for the day since that low mood is dragging on.