still having knee and shin pain

Options
I was 271 lbs lbs about 4 months ago. Now I am 229 lbs. I am 5'10 M, 26 year old.

When I was 250 lbs I tried to walk for 30-45 minutes and I ended up with knee and shin pain. I asked here about this issue and I was advised to see a doctor and get new shoes, so I did. Doctor said that there is nothing wrong with my knees and the pain is most likely due to me being obese.

Now I am at 229 lbs but still get this pain when I walk for 30-45 minutes. The pain is usually after I finish walking ( I don't feel pain while walking). When I stop walking for about 3 days the pain goes away, so it is clearly related to walking. I know I am still obese and have too much to lose, but do you think that it is normal for someone who is 229 lbs to get knee and shin pain after slow 30-45 walking ? Should I worry ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's terribly unusual.

Did you work up to that amount of time or did you go from couch potato to 30 minutes right away?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You said you saw a doctor--but was it an orthopaed?

I found a wonderful orthopaedic practice who has seen me for knee issues ranging from IT band syndrome (non-surgical) to a torn ACL (obviously surgical). I'm having PFPS issues myself right now on my "good" knee. Treatment is a round of physical therapy to strengthen my hips and glutes.

As said above, you may have done too much too soon/overuse injury, or it may be an issue elsewhere in your body that is manifesting in your knees (like the IT band syndrome or PFPS).

@JustSomeEm--I also see a chiro, too--he's not a quack either.

• delgrand
    delgrand Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't think it's terribly unusual.

Did you work up to that amount of time or did you go from couch potato to 30 minutes right away?

yes I was a couch potato, that's why I started slow walking instead of running or jogging.
  • delgrand
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I'm a runner, and my husband recently started running but had to stop due to knee pain. The pain for him is actually just below the knee. These stories are our experience, not advice. My advice to you would be to go BACK to the doctor and let him know you're still experiencing pain and have him do an MRI or run tests to make absolutely certain there is nothing wrong. But here are two stories for you:

As a runner, sometimes I get knee pain. In my case, it's usually because my hips are mis-aligned. I see a chiropractor when I have knee or leg issues, and he does an adjustment and I'm usually able to run again the same day. <--- Some people think Chiros are woo, but I have a good one, and he's been amazing and helpful.

In my husband's case, he's had an MRI and been diagnosed with Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS). In his case, the MRI showed no underlying issue, so it's just pain when he runs. He also sees a chiropractor and gets his hips adjusted which helps. Another thing we've recently started doing is Yoga focused on 'opening up the hips', which has really helped the hubby. We're hoping he can go back to running again soon. When he can, we'll restart the C25K program and gradually increase his distance... We probably ramped up distance a bit too fast recently which has caused him some problems.

Check out this link if you're interested: https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-knee

Note: PFPS is commonly known as runners knee, but runners do not have a monopoly on the condition. And @jemhh makes an excellent point - if you ramp up mileage too fast, you can aggravate pain and make it more likely you'll injure yourself. Slow, easy ramp-up is the way to go. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • delgrand
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You said you saw a doctor--but was it an orthopaed?

I found a wonderful orthopaedic practice who has seen me for knee issues ranging from IT band syndrome (non-surgical) to a torn ACL (obviously surgical). I'm having PFPS issues myself right now on my "good" knee. Treatment is a round of physical therapy to strengthen my hips and glutes.

As said above, you may have done too much too soon/overuse injury, or it may be an issue elsewhere in your body that is manifesting in your knees (like the IT band syndrome or PFPS).

@JustSomeEm--I also see a chiro, too--he's not a quack either.

The doctor I saw is not an orthopedic surgeon.

How did you get your ACL torn if I may ask ?

Thanks for the advice.

• mitch16
    edited December 2017
    Options
    delgrand wrote: »

The doctor I saw is not an orthopedic surgeon.

How did you get your ACL torn if I may ask ?

Thanks for the advice.

Probably a lifetime of being active (I'm 47), but the ultimate 'straw that broke the camel's back' came while freestyle skiing--I overshot a jump, landed on the flat in a bad position, and my knee gave out under me.
  • delgrand
    Options
    If someone was experiencing pain in knees and shins after walking at similar weight as my current weight, can you point out at what weight did you stop getting the pain ?

When I was 250 I thought that I needed to lose 20 lbs to get this issue resolved, but unfortunately it did not
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I would get shin splints at both my lower(around 190lbs) and higher weights (255lbs) when I'd been inactive for a while or if I tried to walk a longer distance than usual. Had nothing to do with the weight and everything to do with fitness level.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing consistent and sustained knee and pain from just walking, I would definitely want a second opinion.

I say this as a 235 lb man who had moderate knee pain from running at 260,
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Exercise by swimming instead. Less stress on knees.
  • mitch16
    Options
    delgrand wrote: »
    If someone was experiencing pain in knees and shins after walking at similar weight as my current weight, can you point out at what weight did you stop getting the pain ?

When I was 250 I thought that I needed to lose 20 lbs to get this issue resolved, but unfortunately it did not

What about cycling (not necessarily spinning as "jumping" and some of the standing moves still put weight-bearing stress on your knees)?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is relevant or not, but I find that I get shin pain while walking if my strides are too long. /shrug
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I was at 230lbs while pregnant with my last and maintained 210lbs until he was a year old. I had never before that pregnancy had knee pain but did it ever bother me while at those weights! As soon as I got below 190lbs it was gone. I am 5’7, so I was 60-70lbs above a normal range for my height.

I think weight can be a factor, but given the fact that many overweight people do not suffer from knee pain, I would get my gait and body mechanics assessed by a physiotherapist if I were you. They may determine muscle imbalances or other issues and give you ways to work towards being pain free.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I don't think its unusual either, when I first started walking and overweight by 20lbs I had awful shin pain - that subsided when I kept regularly walking. Are your strides very long when you walk? that might contribute, try changing your stride to shorter or walking at a slower pace. Your body will adjust and that shin pain will go.

For your knee pain - you'd need to go see about that although it might be to do with carrying extra weight - hopefully as you lose weight that will also go. I do have some knee pain when I over do things but I need to go and see someone about this because I have a feeling its my feet/my gait.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had right knee pain all the time at 270. By 230, it was gone. However, I just saw my doctor because out of the blue at 190 with no increase in activity or intensity, it's back. He is sending me for imaging - he suspects osteoarthritis and may refer me to PT depending on the results.

It's not as much now, you were saying? But still present? I would agree to scale back a little bit on the duration of your walks, and if that doesn't help, go back.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Whether it’s knee pain or shin splints or both, properly fit shoes are the first line f defense. Then proper stretching and warm up
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When a doctor says there’s nothing wrong, they mean there’s no arthritic degeneration or no injury. You probably have tightness in multiple areas from back to feet. A specific kind of massage release helped me.
    Have you been fitted for proper walking shoes by a specialty shoe store?
    Try shortening your stride a bit.
    Try shorter walks and build up or go more than once a day.
    Weight loss and strength training are important too.
    No one can say your pain will go away at x lbs. it’s different for everyone, many factors involved. I hope you find some things that help.