Working out 5 days a week ok

Options
Hi there, I lost 125 pounds just by eating healthy and walking everyday. I was just wondering if doing a full body workout 45-60 would be ok 5 days and the weekends rest day, just to do something different. I had 2 brain tumors when I was younger and on meds right now for seizurer, so i am waiting for a clear from the dr so I can do a little bit of strength training with weights. Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do resistance training on back to back days
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bad idea - where's the recovery time?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lift 5 days a week, you shouldn't be doing a full-body routine. You could do some sort of split, though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I lost 125 pounds just by eating healthy and walking everyday. I was just wondering if doing a full body workout 45-60 would be ok 5 days and the weekends rest day, just to do something different. I had 2 brain tumors when I was younger and on meds right now for seizurer, so i am waiting for a clear from the dr so I can do a little bit of strength training with weights. Thanks

Depends on what the workout is. But going from 0 to 5x a week is a big jump. Try maybe 3x a week and walking on the other 2
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It depends on the program.

There are full body conditioning/strength programs for GPP that are programmed for every day(5-7 days a week).

You're going to progress in a different way than if you were doing a focused strength program with progressive overload built in.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    definitely depends on what you are doing. Being active every day is always a good thing. Your program should have rest days, but even on rest days its ok to get up and do something like active recovery , or walking or playing or whatever. I've done strength programs 5 days a week , but each day I was doing something different, and it was more like cardio/circuit training with some weight lifting built in to the circuits.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your programming, but typically 5x a week full body is not a good idea for recovery. Is this an actual routine you are following?

Sometimes I do full body back to back, but it is the way my program is written.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Would ever other day work.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    If you're going to lift 5 days a week, you shouldn't be doing a full-body routine. You could do some sort of split, though.

I am not lifting weights.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I am not lifting weights.

Um, ok. So what does your "full-body workout" consist of?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do it 7 days a week, SO YES!
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    I look up videos on YouTube found some full body workout without equipment. Like Hasfit
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I look up videos on YouTube found some full body workout without equipment. Like Hasfit

If you're doing body weight resistance training, you want to give yourself the same opportunity to rest as you would if you were lifting weights.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do 5 days a week but only 3 days are strength traning. On the other days I do yoga and HIIT circuit training type classes.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The 5-6 day a week programs I've done break it up so you focus on legs one day, back and arms another and then repeat, also had a core and flexibility day once a week.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that determine what is right for you. I aim for 4 or 5 days a week. Each day has 30-35 minutes of weights followed by 3-4K run on the treadmill (working up to 5k).

For the weights I do one major lift a day at most: bench, squat or press, deadlift. There are a complementary exercises as well.

Now, I am not trying to build massive size, but I am still pushing for strength while still losing weight.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and workout 5 to 7 days/week lifting, hiking and rowing.

Currently doing compound lifts (DL, SQT, BP & PC/OHP) with some rows and body weight exercises (pullups, pushups and dips) for 1 hr 3-4 days a week. Hike 5-10 miles 1-2 days/week. And row 10k meters 5-7 days/wk on my Concept2.

It's helping to maintain my strength, weight and fitness at age 67 w/o feeling fatigued, exhausted or overworked. :)
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was doing 5-6 days of mixed up routines of (light/heavy days) weights, Orange Theory (cardio), rowing and core at home. Not because I had to, but because I LOVED the post workout endorphins. After about 6 months I stopped seeing results - in fact I started going backwards. I re-engineered my routine and now workout 3 days one week/4 days the next week... I'm finally seeing results again. there is such a thing as overtraining.