Newbie! Exercising at home/for free?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a good sports bra. You shouldn't let bad bras stop you from doing what you want to do. I strongly recommend Panache, which only makes bras in larger cup sizes. You can sometimes find them cheaper on Amazon. Grab a tape measure and enter your measurements on bratabase.com to figure out the right bra size range for you.

Fleet feet does sizing/fitting at some of there locations.

My wife has similar issues, and getting properly fitted/sized and getting an appropriately supportive(designed for running vs fashion) gear seems to be helpful
  • PoppyFlower1
    PoppyFlower1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym and just recently joined a zumba class once a week. YouTube is great, I use fitness blender, gymra, and pop fitness. I did invest in dumbells over time, but not right at first.
    Sports bras fit more snug than you would think, once I found a properly fitting one it made a huge difference. I got a danskin one for 9 bucks at Wal Mart that fits well like my other more expensive ones.
    I don't go to the gym and just recently joined a zumba class once a week. YouTube is great, I use fitness blender, gymra, and pop fitness. I did invest in dumbells over time, but not right at first.
    Sports bras fit more snug than you would think, once I found a properly fitting one it made a huge difference. I got a danskin one for 9 bucks at Wal Mart that fits well like my other more expensive ones.

I have a "shock absorber" cushioned padded snugly fitting panache sports bra, a regular snug fitting underwired sports bra and also a regular underwired bra. I still have pain though and when I run feel a crushing feeling....not cardiac pain just the weight moving up and down even though they don't appear to be moving. The worst thing about my weight gain has been my bust. Now HH bras are tight. My waist is 34 inches compared to my 50 inch bust so very visible and whenever I try and exercise people will stare or comment. When I lie down they almost choke me and sit right under my chin. I have constant pain in my neck, shoulders, and sometimes lower back. So all exercise is difficult.

It's super depressing not being able to do any proper exercise. I tried swimming as it's non weight bearing but I was absolutely exhausted, it's hard work! I also had creepy guys saying stuff in front of me....also had that in the gym. I am very shy so each time induced crippling panic attacks and major anxiety.

This may sound stupid but I recently quit smoking and have gained a ton of weight. Should I start smoking until I've reached my weight loss goal? It speeds metabolism doesn't it. I'm not going to be able to jump until I've lower a good maybe 50lbs.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I have a "shock absorber" cushioned padded snugly fitting panache sports bra, a regular snug fitting underwired sports bra and also a regular underwired bra. I still have pain though and when I run feel a crushing feeling....not cardiac pain just the weight moving up and down even though they don't appear to be moving. The worst thing about my weight gain has been my bust. Now HH bras are tight. My waist is 34 inches compared to my 50 inch bust so very visible and whenever I try and exercise people will stare or comment. When I lie down they almost choke me and sit right under my chin. I have constant pain in my neck, shoulders, and sometimes lower back. So all exercise is difficult.

It's super depressing not being able to do any proper exercise. I tried swimming as it's non weight bearing but I was absolutely exhausted, it's hard work! I also had creepy guys saying stuff in front of me....also had that in the gym. I am very shy so each time induced crippling panic attacks and major anxiety.

This may sound stupid but I recently quit smoking and have gained a ton of weight. Should I start smoking until I've reached my weight loss goal? It speeds metabolism doesn't it. I'm not going to be able to jump until I've lower a good maybe 50lbs.

Noooooo, don't start smoking again! I'm a smoker and I hate it and (fingers crossed) am quitting this winter. Being overweight is bad for your health, but so is smoking, and it's so hard to quit! Weight gain related to quitting smoking is mostly if not entirely from eating more - smoking is an appetite suppressant, plus there's the boredom/oral fixation aspect. Work on getting your eating habits under control, be kind to yourself, and be patient. Experiment with meal timing and composition to find out what keeps you feeling full, or at least less hungry. If running or more vigorous exercise is too difficult right now, that's completely fine. Walking is great exercise and involves much less bouncing! You can do this!
  • PoppyFlower1
    PoppyFlower1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Noooooo, don't start smoking again! I'm a smoker and I hate it and (fingers crossed) am quitting this winter. Being overweight is bad for your health, but so is smoking, and it's so hard to quit! Weight gain related to quitting smoking is mostly if not entirely from eating more - smoking is an appetite suppressant, plus there's the boredom/oral fixation aspect. Work on getting your eating habits under control, be kind to yourself, and be patient. Experiment with meal timing and composition to find out what keeps you feeling full, or at least less hungry. If running or more vigorous exercise is too difficult right now, that's completely fine. Walking is great exercise and involves much less bouncing! You can do this!

Thankyou so much for this comment. After posting I went and bought cigarettes.....was about to light one up outside when I saw I'd had a post reply.....and your post has literally stopped me from smoking now. I'm not going to put myself through all the pain of that initial quit phase again..... I just need to eat less and move more and I will finally be one of those 'healthy' people lol.
    Thankyou again you can do this too, good luck with quitting we are stronger than cigarettes x
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thankyou so much for this comment. After posting I went and bought cigarettes.....was about to light one up outside when I saw I'd had a post reply.....and your post has literally stopped me from smoking now. I'm not going to put myself through all the pain of that initial quit phase again..... I just need to eat less and move more and I will finally be one of those 'healthy' people lol.
    Thankyou again you can do this too, good luck with quitting we are stronger than cigarettes x

Aw kittens, that's awesome! *high five* For real, this is totally doable. I've been at this for a year now and have lost 40 pounds so far - it took me about three months before I was consistently losing (which was super discouraging), but once I got into a groove, it's been so much easier than I expected. I genuinely believed I could never do this. I wasn't doing anything but walking until August of this year either. Figuring out that you can control your weight just by eating less is a powerful thing!
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Aside form going out for walks and runs, I have successfully done Leslie Sansone's walk videos. They are great and her workouts are gentle.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

You're absolutely certain that the chest pain is caused by..."impact" and not other medical concerns? I don't want to second guess your knowledge of your own body--I just get concerned when someone mentions chest pain. My dad had a heart attack at a relatively young age, so I take it pretty seriously.

You will probably wind up losing some breast tissue as you lose weight, since breasts are largely fat. You might not lose cup sizes, at least not at first, since cups are proportional to your band. During the first 80 or so pounds I lost, I went from a 40 to a 32 band, but I was still a DDD cup. During the last 20 or so pounds, I went down to a D. Just from anecdotes posted here, some people go down cup sizes early in their weight loss and some don't. It really varies from person to person.

Frankly, the people in your gym sound like kittens. (I mean, MFP is just going to change whatever I say here to "kitten," so I might as well do it myself.) Is that part of the reason why you would rather not go to the gym? I would look for a new gym if mine was full of people like that. I'm also guessing that the management of your gym might like to know that some gym users' harassment is making you unable to work out there anymore.

As far as exercise goes, any sort of movement that you weren't doing before is progress. Walking down the street and back counts as exercise. You don't have to exercise in order to lose weight, but it's good for your body anyway.

Please don't start smoking again. That's part of why my dad had a heart attack when he was 47. He recovered, but it took a long time after that for him to commit to stop smoking.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes please don't start smoking again. It's much harder to get rid of the destructiveness of smoking then it is extra weight. As a nurse I've seen how both things affect people at the end of their lives and while neither is pretty I feel like the ones who smoked regret it the most. They wish they could have stopped so many times and didn't and then they are dying and leaving their loved ones it's so sad. You did an awesome thing by stopping smoking and if you can do that you can fix your weight. Your body just needs time to get used to not having that nicotine so it might be slower for you for awhile. Work on your diet first and move when you can anyway you can. Best of luck.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Lost all my weight from a calorie deficit. Eventually I did add walks just because I felt so damn good.
  • Tygirl2016
    Tygirl2016 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I understand. I suffer from breast pain that consistently correlates to my exercise choices (even with good bras!) I am holding out hope that shrinking them will open more exercise doors for me. Right now, I try to mostly stick to exercise that limit bouncing, basic strength training and yoga. One of my favs for strength and low impact cardio is Jessica Smith..she has lots of free youtube videos with workouts to do right in the living room.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Walking is free and easy. You can do it every day. If the weather is bad, put some music on and just move. Dance, do high knees, low kicks, side steps, running grapevine, whatever you want. Just move. Body weight exercises are free. You can buy some hand weights for about $10 each. There are you-tube videos for just about every kind of exercise. You could probably do a different one every day for a year.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Try waterfit aerobic classes.. Their awesome!!!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    So and I am not trying to be mean, but some gyms around me are like $10 a month and we know we can spend that easily on bad foods.

Do you have any type of cable that has exercise programs available? With ours Comcast there is an On Demand area with workouts. Either that or if you have Walmart near by they sell workout videos.
  • stacymj_96
    stacymj_96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally use fitness blender's website and youtube channel! Good luck on your journey!
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned...but if you can access to youtube...hasfit or popsugar is great, been using them recently....beachbody if you can afford to pay for it...or Nike training club app for free on your phone. I've used them all to help with my weight loss efforts
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just walk. I joined StepBet, and that's my motiviation to get out there 5 or 6 days a week, rain, shine, cold weather, hot weather, tired, energized, busy or leisurely. I can check out audiobooks from our library to download, so I put on a book and I go walk for my required steps.

No planning, no elaborate schemes. I just walk while I listen to a novel.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Walking, dancing... lots of free workouts on You Tube.
    Start small and build up if you are new to exercise.
    When I started there were exercises that were uncomfortable or painful. I had to do seated workouts for awhile.

I would count more on watching calorie intake for weight loss than exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I'm currently the biggest I've ever been but can't afford to go to a gym. What can I do to
    Trim and tone for free? I can't run as I have very large breasts and even with three sports bra's on running is too painful. Any ideas appreciated

I don't run because I dislike running. Plenty of other free/cheap ways to get cardio:
    * I'm fixing to bundle up and go for a walk, even though the Feels Like temperature is 22 degrees.
    * I'm hoping for some snow soon so I can go snowshoeing. Got them from a friend who got them for $5 at a yardsale. Snowshoeing is so easy...and yet so hard.
    * On rainy days in the winter I can do yoga.
    * As others have said, there are lots of free videos on youtube.
    * Your library system should also have exercise DVDs.
    * In a few months I will be gardening again.
    * Next summer I will be swimming.
  • TLHwls2017
    TLHwls2017 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In the same boat
    Bought these
    Especially like the 10 min workouts
  • TLHwls2017
    TLHwls2017 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    DVDs