19, Male, 509 lb. What do I even do at this point?

Options
I don't even know what to type here. I just feel depressed. Last time I was weighed was at the doctor early this year and I was 480. I just bought a new scale and it says I'm at 509. This whole time I thought I was losing weight and I was just gaining. Tell me what to do. I feel like I'm dying.

Replies

• ebdonoianjr
    ebdonoianjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand how frustrating it is stepping on the scale and not seeing any results! What I did first when I started was change my diet. I cut out soda and junk food, drank more water and that made a huge difference by itself. As far as exercise you can just start out slow like take 30 minute walks outside or on the treadmill. I used my dog as an excuse to go for walks but anything that gets you moving around is good. I know you can do it and you’re at the right place for some support and encouragement!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    And yes, read the sticky posts. There's a few on logging accurately. Start there. You can do it.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself and MFP...weigh your foods (any food you eat...I'm a grazing snacker personally) and log them, follow the guidelines MFP gives you...baby steps. You can do this!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well the most important thing is to never give up. No matter if you have bad days there are also good days. you just have to let yourself see them.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're asking for help. I want you to know that you really can do it. It takes hard work and for me it has not been easy at all. But we are here to support you. You are worth it and you will reach your goals one step at a time. Feel free to friend me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to eat less. If you think you're eating less, but you're gaining weight, weighing and logging food intake is a very good idea, as long as you do it consistently and honestly and aim to hit your calorie target every day. If you struggle to stick to your calories, there are many ways to make eating less more comfortable.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When you say you thought you were losing, what were you doing that caused you to think that? Have you been weighing and logging your food, and eating at a deficit?

That's what to do. Put in your stats, get a calorie recommendation, and go for it. Eating at a deficit works - I'm down 112 lbs in a year, and there are many people here who have lost far more. You can get hold of this and get your life back!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool for helping people but keep in mind that you will get advice from a lot of different people with a lot of different nutritional knowledge and some may be good and some may be incorrect. I would say that if you are not truly motivated to lose the weight you will not be very successful. weight loss occurs when you burn more calories than you take in and you need to decide how that will occur. You don't have to exercise at all if you don't want to as long as you are eating less than you are burning. I think the first step is figuring out how much you need to eat to lose weight and then start being accountable for every bite that goes in your mouth! Good luck to you!!!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Weigh your foods and log. After you have a bit of a log going, you can look into it and look into nutritional deficiencies that could also be causing cravings and hunger.

I've gotten rid of over 125 pounds and have done it the slow way, through modification of my eating, through resolving nutritional deficiencies, and through eventually starting a fitness regime. I will agree with those above who say to consume a little less. Sometimes the easiest way to start the change is to take something constant and modify it. For example, if you drink a 2 liter of cola a day, change to drinking one, or shift to diet. It's a slow change, but it's one that's easy to keep.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I started at 308lbs in January 2017, it was the biggest I had ever been, I felt the same, in despair, pretty much thinking this was going to be another half arsed attempt but I stuck with it, I started by logging at first then when I felt up to it I started exercising, going for small walks at first, doing 3 mins at a time on my dusty neglected exercise bike, just little steps, you take it 1 day at a time and see it as a life long thing not just a temporary fix, I have had my ups and downs like many others have, I don't want to get into it all here but I had some diet breaks along the way, switching favorite foods for lower calorie foods like switching to baked crisps instead of the fried ones I used to eat, switching to popcorn sometimes also, lighter cheese and butter (vegetable spreads) cutting out things I thought were a waste of calories, see calories as money in a way lol would you waste your money on this or that basically, I found cutting nuts and seeds out or just having a teeny amount now and then also helpful, search online for lower calorie / lower carbs/ fat etc etc of foods, doing research helps a lot, pre-log your day as that helps also, I know a lot of people here are into the whole meal prep I think its called where they cook in bulk for the week, I personally don't trust myself with that method but it has helped many others but really first steps would be just logging food, possibly going to your doctors and see if they can advice you at all, getting into a routine with it all, I wish you all the best x