I Dislike Food Prep

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against cooking per se, although sometimes it seems that food preppers are the latest in a long history of Luddites.

I occasionally get the impression they feel superior for not taking advantage of anything cleverly designed to be convenient, and guilt-trip others for not doing things the hard way.

Some of the meals look nice though.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can't say I love food prep, but I do ot out of necessity. One day a week I spend a few hours getting my breakfast and lunch items ready for the upcoming week. I just don't have time in the mornings to weigh everything out, so prepping allows me to just throw the measured stuff into my lunch box. I dont prep for the days I am home...only days I work.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for how to make yourself enjoy cooking. I personally love it - I do most of the cooking with the exception of the few recipes my boyfriends does really well (mostly anything on the grill and a few others). There are, however, several days that I just don't feel like cooking when I get home.

If you don't have a crock pot I highly recommend it. Just throw some stuff in and leave it. Get a big one so you can have plenty of leftovers. If you search online there are plenty of easy recipes, including many that freeze well so you can make a bunch when you're in the mood and when you're not just thaw and cook.

ETA: If you do use a crock pot, also get the liners! Basically plastic bags that you put in the crock pot to avoid a messy clean up at the end. They'd be in your grocery store by the Ziploc bags.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love to cook but also hate to prep and also have days where I just don't want to cook for the family. So I spend a little more and get pre prepped items such as cut up veggies, pre made sauces, etc. you just have to be sure there isn't a lot of added sugar, fat or preservatives. Then when I go to cook I just throw it all together. I have also found that really learning some basic kitchen skills have made things faster. Get a food processor, crock pot, and basic pan and you can do almost everything. There are so many quick and easy meals you can find to make. If you have the ingredients on hand it's a quick 10 minutes and then throw everything in the dishwasher.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sasha1776 wrote: »
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

I dislike (and so don't) food prep, I dislike (but do) cleaning up after cooking. I love to cook though and enjoy eating. I think I actually like to cook better than I like to eat.
  • dawnfross
    dawnfross Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weeknights are heat-n-eat. Take-out Chinese and Greek cover two weeknights plus next-day lunches. Yogurt w frozen fruit, PB, and granola a third. Chicken and veggies cover Thursdays. And Friday night is sushi night out. I often make soup or stewed chicken on the weekends. It's cost-effective because one take-out dish feeds two people and often provides leftovers for next-day lunches. There's less food waste and minimal clean-up. Salads are woven throughout all of it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I just microwave most everything. Otherwise I use the George Foreman (which I hate, but it belongs to my sister so I can't complain. I liked the Hamilton Beach version better). I operate on convenience.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I like the fresh meals. I hate coming home after a long day and having to cook. Each meal I try to cook enough for at least 2, pack one, and put it in the freezer so I have a quick dinner all I have to do is reheat. Cleaning up is the WORST though!

Lunches I have MealPal so that's not really an issue, lots of healthy choices here! Since I can't STAND eating the same thing (even for one meal) day after day, I need to mix it up or I'll end up making bad choices.

I also hate throwing food out, so if I'm not sure I'll use it up before it spoils, I tend not to buy it at all (like salad mixes).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I hate having to make a game time decision on what to have for lunch when I’m already hungry. Prepping for an hour on Sunday is a way better option IMO
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like to cook but don't like to clean. I meal prep as a necessity, to keep my calories in goal. Only cook 1-2 nights. Usually Saturday and Sunday and the work week is leftovers or eating out once a week tops. But I also don't have to clean up so if I make a mess that's someone else's job which is nice.
  • OuchArtist
    OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I like to cook but don't like to clean. I meal prep as a necessity, to keep my calories in goal. Only cook 1-2 nights. Usually Saturday and Sunday and the work week is leftovers or eating out once a week tops. But I also don't have to clean up so if I make a mess that's someone else's job which is nice.

Like... who loves to clean at all haha
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Instant Pot is a life saver.. but yeah even though it's once per week for like an hour, I feel like it takes all day lol