Struggling to feast

Options
Is it me or is anyone else struggling to let go and eat some party food ? I never thought id be like this up until as recently as yesterday but i am.

Ribbish food is scaring me.i hope yous get what i mean?

Replies

• SammyD242
    SammyD242 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yup. I get it.

My diet is on a roll, but I'm convinced if I eat one piece of pie I'll gain 30.lbs overnight.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    i mean, I understand what your saying. But wouldnt it also then also be just as disordered thinking to feel you HAVE to stuff yourself just because a time of year or a party? Neither is really a healthy mindset. Its okay to prioritize your goals above your moments of wanting to eat snacks. Unless your like severely under eating out of food fear id consider it a good thing that your focusing on your goals and are committed. If your undereating in general, Maybe go to your doctor and discuss it, Vs the forums on MFP.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i mean, I understand what your saying. But wouldnt it also then also be just as disordered thinking to feel you HAVE to stuff yourself just because a time of year or a party? Neither is really a healthy mindset. Its okay to prioritize your goals above your moments of wanting to eat snacks. Unless your like severely under eating out of food fear id consider it a good thing that your focusing on your goals and are committed. If your undereating in general, Maybe go to your doctor and discuss it, Vs the forums on MFP.

No im not undereating, but i guess i dont want to derail myself, usually at xmas i eat well and think nothing of it but now seems different, i cant put my finger on it

Dunno
  • Blythmag
    Options
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    Yup. I get it.

My diet is on a roll, but I'm convinced if I eat one piece of pie I'll gain 30.lbs overnight.

Im not at that stage yet but i get you
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

No im not undereating, but i guess i dont want to derail myself, usually at xmas i eat well and think nothing of it but now seems different, i cant put my finger on it

Dunno

sounds like a good thing to me. Your not broken for not wanting to derail yourself
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is anyone else struggling to let go and eat some party food ? I never thought id be like this up until as recently as yesterday but i am.

if you don't want to eat the food then don't eat it there is nothing wrong with it but if you do want to eat stuff you can do one of a few things. 1. you can eat whatever you want given it's just one meal sitting, chances are it might put you off for a little but you just have to get back to your plan the next meal. at the most you will loss one or two days but that's it. 2. you can shoot for the healthier choices offered, meats without glaze, doubled eggs, homemade potato salad, ect and try and avoid anything processed. 3. the day before you can either fast up until the party or do a really good workout to help get your metabolism up a little.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I don't really deprive myself to begin with, so I don't feel the need to binge - or avoid binging, either. If I want a bit of something, I can have a bit.

You can eat all the things, just not all of it, and not all of the time.

That being said, trigger foods are bad for some people, so I get it!
  • Blythmag
    Options
    Today i popped into work on the last day before hols, they had all brought food in to have a small party, i couldnt bare to pick at it like i usually do, thats so not me, i ate the healthiest thing i could see as i was a little hungry. Im determined to keep this going but i also WANT to enjoy myself.

Weird this
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you don’t want it, don’t eat it. Easy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Today i popped into work on the last day before hols, they had all brought food in to have a small party, i couldnt bare to pick at it like i usually do, thats so not me, i ate the healthiest thing i could see as i was a little hungry. Im determined to keep this going but i also WANT to enjoy myself.

Weird this

You don't have to eat ALL the food to enjoy yourself...

You can enjoy yourself without eating anything, or with just eating a couple of treats...

You just need to decide which you want to do and not worry about your decision
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It's sad when the holidays aren't even about food and we question our normalness because we don't want to participate in the gorging of food and simply just eat and enjoy the other parts of the holiday.

I am really anti Christmas.. spending money and food.. it stresses people out so bad they cause accidents. Hurt others. Hurt themselves. And leave themselves in huge debt for january.. those same family members would.. or at least should enjoy your company without all that.

I've gotten to the point now where I basically just show up for Christmas. I don't really gift much. I don't expect gifts back either. However the premise of this holiday being so money/gift/food focused leaves me feeling guilty about just showing up and enjoying it which I shouldn't
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's sad when the holidays aren't even about food and we question our normalness because we don't want to participate in the gorging of food and simply just eat and enjoy the other parts of the holiday.

I am really anti Christmas.. spending money and food.. it stresses people out so bad they cause accidents. Hurt others. Hurt themselves. And leave themselves in huge debt for january.. those same family members would.. or at least should enjoy your company without all that.

I've gotten to the point now where I basically just show up for Christmas. I don't really gift much. I don't expect gifts back either. However the premise of this holiday being so money/gift/food focused leaves me feeling guilty about just showing up and enjoying it which I shouldn't

Yeah, I do my best to do the parts of the holidays that are meaningful to me while leaving the parts that aren't meaningful or cause me stress/unhappiness behind.

I know this isn't possible for everyone, but to the extent people can do it, I highly recommend it!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I get it!! I've tried to unwind a bit and indulge but I can get my mind around it. I end up not eating whatever it was and opting for some veggies. Or I'll stress about the food choices, and wish there were healthier choices. Definitely weird for me!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I truly don't have that problem. That is, I can eat sugary desserts and gain 10 lb overnight easily. Often.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have just lost 24 lbs. pretty quickly. I have not binged in those 8 weeks. New for me. I am making so much better choices and if I want to continue losing, I can't be eating too many carbs at a meal and then have dessert. So I have to pick and choose what I will eat and won't eat. I think it is a good thing that you are not so focused. I am actually knowing when I am just about full and I can now stop. (I hope it lasts)
  • Blythmag
    Options
    I let go a little bit yesterday but was still mindful of being a piggy.i was better than i usually am.
  • yaddakadu
    yaddakadu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm struggling pretty hard. But the day is over with now and I did pretty good. I ended up in the "green" so I'm all good. Actually really proud of myself, because there was some really good looking food in my face pretty much all day. *pats self on back*
  • Blythmag
    Options
    yaddakadu wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm struggling pretty hard. But the day is over with now and I did pretty good. I ended up in the "green" so I'm all good. Actually really proud of myself, because there was some really good looking food in my face pretty much all day. *pats self on back*

Well done
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean and I used to be afraid to break out a little. But now I kind of understand that one meal will not ruin all my work.. not even 1 whole day. I can't eat what I used to anyway so that helps, now I have a handful of chips not a bag, I eat a couple of lollies, not a bag. I basically enjoyed having a taste of most things Christmas day. Today was back to normal.