Running question

Options
2»

Replies

• KristoferNeal
    KristoferNeal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try to incorporate some sprint sessions in. 30/60's or 60/120's might help you with speed work, and taking longer rests and lowering your running pace could help you to run for a longer period of time. Long distance running is purely mental and energy appropriation. You have to teach yourself and your nervous system/muscles how to continue pumping for longer periods of time.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Vary your running workouts. They don't all have to be the same distance or speed. I run 6x a week. One day a week is my "long" run (spoiler: not super long) with no breaks. Twice a week I do a 1.5 mile easyjog followed by 8 three-minute faster run intervals, each spaced with a 1 minute break. Three times a week I cover 3 miles with super-easy interval runs spaced out with 1 minute breaks. Those are just to burn calories because I like food so much lol.

If I were training for a long distance, I'd do it different. Probably fewer runs a week, focus more on endurance in more of my runs, going for at least 30 minutes a pop before breaking into intervals, and my long run would be longer.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could try the c120k app and start halfway through, after the 5k goal is achieved.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I take shorter strides and as others said, run reeeaaallllyyyy slow. You should be able to maintain a conversation while running, that's how slow. Take your time! You can always pick up the pace later.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Walking breaks are fine. Especially if it means you are retaining proper form rather than devolving into a sloppy slog (in which case you risk injury and will quite probably average out to a slower pace than if you took the breaks).
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I would second doing an actual training program to increase stamina, which will likely have you running fewer days per week.

I'm currently training for a half marathon and my week usually has runs of varying lengths and paces. For instance, my last week was 4.16 miles at 10:44; 8.46 at 10:56; 3.25 at 9:46; 4.49 at 10:23 so I have a few "shorter" runs and one "long" run each week.

I notice my long runs require me to push into that space where I really start to struggle with tiredness or being a bit out of breath and I'll need at least a day of recovery before running again. I've found that struggle at the end (as long as it's not too severe) is how progress is made.

And, walking breaks are fine.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    1117429 wrote: »
    Hi there fellow runners. Ive been running for almost a year. I do a 5k a day, I am participating in my first 5k in September and I would love to eventually to half a marathon but I was wondering when runners run for a long time do you ever stop for a breather ? I can go 45 minutes straight but cant seem to go longer without rest period.
    Is it cheating if you take a breather ?
    I dont know how some ppl can run 2 hours lol

When I was training for half marathons, my sister, who has been running for 30 years, gave me this great tip that might help you : Run your normal pace for 10 min then walk for about a minute ("10 and 1") then run another 10, and so on. This was a great way to improve my endurance and go further. Now if I want to run for more than and hour, I just immediately plan on running 10/walking 1 for the whole time.

Moreover, this is a really helpful strategy for a "race" (10k or more) because even when you don't care about your time, it's so exciting when you start the run with a huge bunch of other people. You feel like you are superwoman and instinctively run faster than your normal pace, and you risk burning out. Doing 10-1 keep your pace in line for the whole distance.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    As others have said... slow down a bit to better pace yourself. An occasional break to walk is fine, but if it's happening on every run every time at every time increment, then there's something about your training/conditioning that needs work.

Also, when you say you're running a 5k every day, do you mean every single day, 7 days a week? That's pretty serious - no injuries or recovery issues?

yes I was doing that 7 days a week no injuries but some shin splints but I recently fell off the wagon sadly and will be were I was but smarter this time, I think I burnt myself out a bit and I am also newly pregnant so will need to take it slowly again Ive done alittle less then three 5ks this weeks , then less and less the previous weeks
    so hoping to get back on the healthy trail get better with my eating,
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi there fellow runners. Ive been running for almost a year. I do a 5k a day, I am participating in my first 5k in September and I would love to eventually to half a marathon but I was wondering when runners run for a long time do you ever stop for a breather ? I can go 45 minutes straight but cant seem to go longer without rest period.
    Is it cheating if you take a breather ?
    I dont know how some ppl can run 2 hours lol

no not really a cheat but what you need to consider is that you continue at lest a brisk walk for your cardio system. But if you start to feel a bite that is going to force you to stop slow down with no way around it work on your breathing because a burn out normally happens when that heart rate goes up way too high because of anything. every time i want to put time or miles in i either focus on adding so and so min each week or so and so miles each week but normally only one or the other. when it comes to running your breathing is going to stop you far faster than your legs. hope this helps a little.