Running question

Options
BrookeRunningMom
BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
edited July 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi there fellow runners. Ive been running for almost a year. I do a 5k a day, I am participating in my first 5k in September and I would love to eventually to half a marathon but I was wondering when runners run for a long time do you ever stop for a breather ? I can go 45 minutes straight but cant seem to go longer without rest period.
Is it cheating if you take a breather ?
I dont know how some ppl can run 2 hours lol

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Your longer runs aren't supposed to be at the same pace as a 5k run. Good resource is McMillan running.com it will help you determine places for various training runs based on a race effort time.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options
    Wonderful thank you everyone
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    1117429 wrote: »
    Hi there fellow runners. Ive been running for almost a year. I do a 5k a day, I am participating in my first 5k in September and I would love to eventually to half a marathon but I was wondering when runners run for a long time do you ever stop for a breather ? I can go 45 minutes straight but cant seem to go longer without rest period.

Congratulations on your upcoming 5k - For training I use walk/run. At the beginning of a training cycle I walk for 8 minutes then run for say 5. The following week I walk for 7 minutes then run for 6. walk 6 then run 7 etc... I do this week after week until my race at which time I am running the entire distance comfortably. I am able to enjoy my runs a lot more and cut down on burn out. Enjoy !!!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you running every single day, or do you just do 5k each time you're running?

Backing off some - doing 3-4 runs per week - will help also.

~Lyssa
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Why would it be cheating? Are you cutting the route short? Are you kicking puppies or wildlife?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Run-walk is how I'm training to build my endurance.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Are you running every single day, or do you just do 5k each time you're running?

~Lyssa

Hi there I do a 5k a day
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options
    Thats wonderful everyone ! Thank you !!
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I feel the need to take a breather coming on I slow down, focus on breathing in through my nose, exhaling by mouth and push through it for another minute or two. It's an easy way to discover whether I should take a break or if I'm just experiencing a mental block. When it's a break I need, I take it no problem without reservation. Not only does it enhance the remaining part of my run but also the next and the next as well and makes increasing distances easier whenever you're so inclined to do. The body remembers when you listen it and treat it right, lol
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options
    coretemp wrote: »
    When I feel the need to take a breather coming on I slow down, focus on breathing in through my nose, exhaling by mouth and push through it for another minute or two. It's an easy way to discover whether I should take a break or if I'm just experiencing a mental block. When it's a break I need, I take it no problem without reservation. Not only does it enhance the remaining part of my run but also the next and the next as well and makes increasing distances easier whenever you're so inclined to do. The body remembers when you listen it and treat it right, lol

Thats wonderful advice thank you
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Hi there I do a 5k a day

That might be too many runs per week if you want to be increasing your distance. Cut out a few of those runs, and slowly add distance to 1 run each week.

Have a look at this 10k training program - you'll see that he only includes 3 runs.http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

If you're running 5 times a week already, you might be able to follow this one: http://halhigdon.com/training/51123/10-K-Training-Guide-Intermedite-Program, which is 4 runs, 1 speed work day, 1 rest day and 1 cross training day.

~Lyssa
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Hi there I do a 5k a day

How long have you been doing that for?

Adding in rest days so you can do a longer run would be beneficial unless you've been running for years.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options

~Lyssa

Hi there I do a 5k a day

How long have you been doing that for?

Adding in rest days so you can do a longer run would be beneficial unless you've been running for years.

For about 9 months
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As others have said... slow down a bit to better pace yourself. An occasional break to walk is fine, but if it's happening on every run every time at every time increment, then there's something about your training/conditioning that needs work.

Also, when you say you're running a 5k every day, do you mean every single day, 7 days a week? That's pretty serious - no injuries or recovery issues?