Issues with Protein Powder

Options
Hi everyone! I’m looking for ways to increase my protein but I’ve found that powders (and a lot of protein bars) really bother my stomach. I get this feeling of being uncomfortably full and get that nauseous feeling in the back of my throat, almost like I need to gag. I’ve tried whey protein and I think pea, and got the same effect with both (they were mixed with water). The feeling lasts for a really long time and it’s bad enough that I’m wary of experimenting with it. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, do you think it’s a dosage issue (I usually have one scoop) or maybe it’s the powder itself? I’d love any suggestions because I could use some more protein in my diet. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Are you just not able to get it through diet? It would be the best choice if you can for more then one reason. Chicken is a great choice. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes supplement with whey protein powder but it is tough on the stomach.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For me it was drinking it that bothered my stomach. For me, the solution was this recipe: https://thebeltsander.org/the-beltsander-brownie/

Sometimes now I even vary it by mixing vanilla protein powder with 10g of oat flour to make a vanilla one.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Have you tried increasing protein in your meals? Powders are easy and convenient supplements but really aren't necessary. I personally don't think it would be worth the tummy aches. I ususally exceed my protein goal (which is high to begin with) by building my meals around high protein food. Greek yougart and eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese goes well with most foods, grilling several packages of chicken to last the week and building meals around it...just some tips
  • gina9410
    gina9410 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    name the powder so people can look it up. it could be an ingredient in the label. some people have issues with careegenan or some artificial sweeteners. ** also name the reason for taking this powder. you could get your protein other ways *** you're not lactose intolerant are you?

I’m not sure on the name of the powders I’ve tried, but I could look into that ingredient. I’m not lactose intolerant but don’t consume dairy regularly. I’d like to increase my protein because I don’t reach my daily goal through MFP—I’m usually average around 40g a day when I should be at 60g. I figured a protein supplement would be an easy way to make up the additional 20g.
  • gina9410
    Options
    Are you just not able to get it through diet? It would be the best choice if you can for more then one reason. Chicken is a great choice. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes supplement with whey protein powder but it is tough on the stomach.

As of right now chicken is the major source of my daily protein but a little unrealistic for me to reach my goal (60g). I would love to reach it through diet but I can only eat so much without feeling stuffed.
  • gina9410
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    For me it was drinking it that bothered my stomach. For me, the solution was this recipe: https://thebeltsander.org/the-beltsander-brownie/

Sometimes now I even vary it by mixing vanilla protein powder with 10g of oat flour to make a vanilla one.

Yeah, honestly I’m not big on liquids in general. I stick to water and don’t consume it with meals. I’m wondering if that’s another thing to try, whether on an empty stomach or full? I don’t know, but this recipe sounds interesting. I’m interested in trying it, it doesn’t bother you at all?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    gina9410 wrote: »

As of right now chicken is the major source of my daily protein but a little unrealistic for me to reach my goal (60g). I would love to reach it through diet but I can only eat so much without feeling stuffed.

That's approximately a cup and a half of chopped chicken breast. I'm wondering if the issue is that you're eating higher volumes of fat or carbohydrates and that is what might be crowding out your ability to get the protein you want?

Not that there is a problem with using protein powder, but if it makes you sick there are options.
  • gina9410
    Options
    That's approximately a cup and a half of chopped chicken breast. I'm wondering if the issue is that you're eating higher volumes of fat or carbohydrates and that is what might be crowding out your ability to get the protein you want?

Not that there is a problem with using protein powder, but if it makes you sick there are options.

Probably, haha. I’m still pretty new to this, for the most part my diet is healthy I’m just falling a little short on my MFP goal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen- but it was a creatine thing- not protein for me- but I just stopped using it- I couldn't deal with it. (Granted I was also only drinking- not eating) have you tried eating it?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    40 grams is pretty low. Any of these foods will bump up your protein with reasonable calories:

Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, canned tuna or salmon, shrimp, protein bars (although some can be pretty high cal).

Make sure you are using correct entries in the database as well. There are lots of non-obvious choices that can add another 5g or so protein like whole grains, beans, some veggies. I got 12 grams of protein in my breakfast from rolled oats, peanut butter, and the quarter cup of milk in my coffee.

If the protein powder you used includes an artificial sweetener, some people get digestive issues to one kind or the other. For me sugar alcohols are a no go, but I'm fine with all the other common ones.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have this issue, but those symptoms are what a friend has when he consumes protein bars (or anything with sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread (below) for ideas about alternatives. You won't be sorry.

It helped me get to 100g protein daily as a vegetarian, without protein powder, protein bars, or fake meat. (There's nothing wrong with any of those if people like them and don't have problems eating them. I just don't find them sufficiently tasty.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • gina9410
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Check out this thread (below) for ideas about alternatives. You won't be sorry.

It helped me get to 100g protein daily as a vegetarian, without protein powder, protein bars, or fake meat. (There's nothing wrong with any of those if people like them and don't have problems eating them. I just don't find them sufficiently tasty.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Thank you!! This is actually super helpful! I would prefer to get my protein through my diet but it seemed difficult. I'll definitely use this, though, thanks!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Agree here with @janejellyroll; that's not a lot of protein (60g) it should be easy to meet that goal just by eating chicken alone throughout the day. Are you on an extreme low calorie diet? Lots of things have protein, even if you ate say a cup or so worth of chicken breast each day you'd still only need to make up maybe 20g of protein. Bread, beans, fruits, dairy, etc. all have protein in them to some degree. Be careful also that the entries you're selecting are correct in the MFP database. There are some in there that only register calories and no macros. Before you select one look at the macros and make sure they are filled in. You could also try a protein bar, some have between 15 to 20g of protein in a single small bar, and some as high as 30g in the larger ones. Eggs are also a great source of protein. I hit 170-200g of protein a day and all but 60g of that is from food sources. 60g of it is from a protein isolate shake in the mornings.
  • gina9410
    Options

Agree here with @janejellyroll; that's not a lot of protein (60g) it should be easy to meet that goal just by eating chicken alone throughout the day. Are you on an extreme low calorie diet? Lots of things have protein, even if you ate say a cup or so worth of chicken breast each day you'd still only need to make up maybe 20g of protein. Bread, beans, fruits, dairy, etc. all have protein in them to some degree. Be careful also that the entries you're selecting are correct in the MFP database. There are some in there that only register calories and no macros. Before you select one look at the macros and make sure they are filled in. You could also try a protein bar, some have between 15 to 20g of protein in a single small bar, and some as high as 30g in the larger ones. Eggs are also a great source of protein. I hit 170-200g of protein a day and all but 60g of that is from food sources. 60g of it is from a protein isolate shake in the mornings.

200g of protein in one day? That blows my mind. I didn't realize 60g was so low, now I'm embarrassed! No, I know myself. I'm only lightly active and very thin (but healthy!), I'm just trying to meet my nutrition goals through MFP.

But thank you for the tips! I'm definitely going to check on the MFP entries and make sure they're including macros, that would definitely impact my results.