19, Male, 509 lb. What do I even do at this point?

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just start...and don't stop. Think of it as life threatening, that is what got me started.
  • hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Start today, right now. Drink one glass of water, then refill it so it is ready the next time you are thirsty.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I would like to add to all the good suggestions you have gotten already. On top of logging every bite, working your way up to moving more, drinking water, adding in some new healthy food choices, I would like to add: find a real life accountability buddy. It doesn’t have to be someone who needs to lose weight but that would be great too. Someone who you can message or call daily. Compare food choices, share workouts, trade recipes, complain about sore or tired or wanting to eat everything in sight. But ultimately, someone who encourages and motivates you.

I have a few of these. Sometimes they know I just need encouragement, I can be so stale and uncooperative but just hearing about the fact that they already did their workout for the day or have a salad prepped and meat defrosting for their meal can be great motivation to get me to make better choices. Sometimes we do mini competitions like proving that we logged every day for a week and if you forgot a day you have to buy the coffee, or a number of active daily minutes or something like that. We share successes and failures, and it is really helpful to know there is someone like that to work with.

This community can be very helpful too, but is is nice to meet up with someone, head out for a walk, talk about nothing weight or health related in that moment, but know they have your back the minute you go home and need someone to bounce ideas off of.

• knhigham
    knhigham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everyone here by saying that the most important step is to log accurately and be honest about what you’re eating.

The silver lining in this is that because you weigh so much, you don’t have to starve yourself or cut out all of your favourite foods to maintain a deficit.

You also will burn more calories doing the same level of activity as a lighter person. So feel free to start out with increasing your step count. No need to go overboard and burn out.

Another important tip, develop a new hobby or goal unrelated to weight loss. It helps distract you if you find your mind drifting back towards food. Especially if you’re an emotional or boredom eater.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given but I just wanted to say you can do this!!! Be patient with yourself. Start moving. Use MFP and the forums and there will be people, myself included, happy to answer questions and help you in any way we can along your journey.

ETA Download an app like HappyScale (iphone) or apparently Libra (for android... I have an iphone). You put in your weight and goal and it breaks it down into many much smaller goals. It also tracks trends so you can see through the normal weight fluctuations. My weigh-in today was exactly the same as my weigh in yesterday but my "moving average" shows me down by .2 from yesterday.
  • elainemariebenes
    elainemariebenes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    no additional advice to give, just wanted to say don’t give up on yourself. you can do this and you are worth it!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What you do is take it one day at a time. Start today. Put your stats into MFP, figure out how many calories you need to eat to reach your goal weight. You can then forget that goal weight if it helps you.

Hear me out on this one.

It can be really overwhelming to think, I need to lose X number of pounds, when X is a big number. But it can be a lot more manageable to think, I'm going to lose 10 pounds. Then, after you lose that 10 pounds, I'm going to lose another 10 pounds. That way you're focusing on mini-goals that you will accomplish much more quickly on your way to achieving your ultimate goal.

You can do this with non-weight-related goals too. Maybe I'm going to run a 5K is a big goal, but I'm going to walk for 10 minutes is a mini-goal.

This doesn't work for everybody. If you're motivated by thinking about big goals rather than small ones, great! But if it's overwhelming, then focus on the small steps.

Also:

Get a good kitchen scale and measuring cups. Get into the habit of weighing all solid food and measuring liquids using the cups. This will give you an accurate calorie count, but many people neglect this step until their weight loss stalls and they can't figure out what they're doing wrong.

You do not need to give up any foods you like. You just need to figure out how to fit them into your calorie goals. That might mean eating smaller portions of high-calorie foods or eating them less often, but there is no food that keeps you from losing weight, just like there is no food that causes you to lose weight. It really is just a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn, and those calories can come from whatever food you like.

Take a look at the "100+ pounds with no surgery" group. There are some good people over there: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you thought you were losing weight I'm assuming you made some positive changes to your lifestyle in the last year. That's great - not everything is reflected on the scale. Give yourself credit for all you have done. But you need to see this as a process, a journey. You're going to have to keep making small adjustments and learning new skills as you go - we all do. Your next step is to weigh yourself more regularly so you know how your lifestyle changes affect your weight. If you did this every week, for example, you can then do more of the things that drop your weight and less of the behaviours that increase your weight. I wish you well - keep going. Tiny steps in the right direction do eventually get you there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many good tips here and hugs to everyone giving grest support. Kudos to you for making changes! In adfitiin ti everything above, i encourage you to take before pucs and measurements rught now. Best to take full length pics front, back, side, and face closeup. As uncomfortable as that might feel right now, your future self will thank you. To this dst, 3 1/2 years after starting and well i to maintainence, my progress pics kerp me going.
    For measurements i suggest neck , chest, upper arm, waist at belly button, hips, and thigh.
    Start small and keep going consistently.
    "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results." Robin Sharma
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Of course every scale provides a different reading. They are calibrated differently. Stick to using your home scale and follow the MFP program. I use a free iPhone app called Happy Scale. You plug in your current weight every so often and it shows a steady downward trend.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You've gotten far away from where you want to be, but you can start retracing your steps today and get back to safety. That's all I got.

Oh, and love and hugs.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There's already a lot of great advice been posted so I just wanted to wish you the best, you can do it!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    As it stands you can burn about 3 kcals per minute just by standing. Get 15 minutes standing per hour 10 hours per day, that's 450 calories of non exercise activity thermogenesis or NEAT.

if you then eat at a deficit you'll drop steadily. It is going to take time to make a big dent but you are young. Once you start being able to move more you will make progress.

Stay in touch
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    See it as adopting a new and healthier lifestyle that will serve you well throughout your life rather than a "diet". The problem is diets end: and then what? That's why so many people lose weight and put it on again in a couple of years.

Your doctor's scale and the scale you bought are going to give different numbers, and inexpensive bathroom scales aren't that accurate at the top and bottom of their ranges. You don't have to worry about the end number now, just today; all you have to do as others have said is work on making better choices, make reasonable goals (don't fall into the trap of setting goals with a timeline attached), log everything, be honest with yourself, but also understand you'll probably make some missteps along the way. You'll have a high maintenance calorie count now because it takes more calories just to maintain your current weight; that will go down as you lose.

When I started on the weight loss journey, my doctor suggested focusing on dietary changes only at first, and adding in light exercise later. Don't kill yourself exercising, it isn't necessary to lose weight and at your weight, carries a certain risk with it. I'd clear it with a doctor before starting on an exercise program that involved more than walking.

I lost 60 pounds, then stalled out and went on maintenance. I'm about 15-20 pounds from my end goal now, and as I get closer, the weight loss gets slower and slower. You'll see the same thing. I personally don't like to monitor the scale daily, other people do - if you find it depressing or anxiety provoking, just weigh once in a while and concentrate day to day on calories in-calories out (CICO).
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA - just keep trying- you can do this! take your time- you do not need to rush the weight loss- it is a journey and it does take time- there were lots of good suggestion and this site has tons of good advice.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Just start with baby steps right now. It can certainly be a daunting task if you look at the whole picture. Start right were you are. Start logging your food here for a week without making big changes. Then look over that week and see what's going on. It will surprise you.

I agree with this. Just logging your food makes you much more aware of exactly how much you put into your body. I mean, little things add up, or sugary beverages add up. The very first thing I did was start sticking to round serving sizes of drinks. Instead of pouring myself a huge cup of juice, for example, drinking it until it was done, refill, repeat, I started measuring out and keeping track of 1/2 cup or 1 cup servings. I even marked a plastic cup with lines so I didn't have to measure every time.

• TLHwls2017
    TLHwls2017 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That most important step (realizing that you need help) you already took so CONGRATS!