If you dind't start jogging/running yet

Options

Replies

• deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! Doesn't matter how far you can go. Just use it as your base and build from there. I used to think I could never be a runner. I was right because I never did it!

Most runners don't just start running miles one day. They build up to it! It's really no diffetent than weight training. You start with weights and move up in pounds.

Do it! You will already be faster than you were in the house!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So true. I started out just running a mile and now do about 7 miles and can burn 1000 calories since my route has alot of hills. I actually use this now as my main calorie burner
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Running is better than Xanax. And *almost* as good as sex. :wink:
    Sex would only win hands-down if you could also go out shopping for special shoes for it! :tongue:

Well...technically you could buy shoes for that...if you like stilettos..LOL
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It weird, I find that when I jog slow it's harder for me. It feels like such a burden and like I'm dragging behind me an anchor. But the more I up the pace and really add longer strides to my jog/run, I can go on forever. Anyone else find this to be true for them?

I have a tough time slowing down my pace. It throws me out of rythym & makes me work harder.
  • christina000
    Options
    I agree, I started jogging again 2 weeks ago. And I seriously have seen major improvements in the health of my mind and spirit. I'm sure my body too, but I am not focusing on my weight overall.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    Awesome post. I couldn't agree more. I started jogging two years after having my daughter who is now 6. I am an ex-smoker (smoked for 16 yrs but I quit 7 yrs ago) so I never imagined I could be a runner and here I am training for my first 10K in November. I love that running is good for my health (I have high cholesterol and exercising has helped keep it in check), it's a great stress-reliever, and just makes me feel good overall.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love it when I push myself to run one more mile and I am soaking wet with my effort. It's a great feeling! :)
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I've tried to go running/jogging but I have absolutely no endurance. I can't go more than 250 m before I have to stop and spend 5 minutes panting and chugging water. I can do about 3 x 250 m before I get a really painful stitch in my side and have to stop. The other day I decided I would run the 1.20 km from my place to the gym... I made it but I had a pounding headache that cut my workout short.

So I walk instead. I use an app to track my distance, speed, calories burned, etc. Since July 21st, I've walked 97 kilometres and burned almost 7000 calories. Walking can be a great cardio workout too and it's less tough on your joints. :)

I wish I could run, though, and maybe if I try again when it's cooler I'll have better luck.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sex would only win hands-down if you could also go out shopping for special shoes for it! :tongue:

Ummmmm....I believe you've seen some of my footwear collection.... :tongue:

ETA: I started running at the beginning of April, and was completely worn out for the first two weeks. At week three, I realised I loved running. I feel hard done by now if I have to miss a run in the morning!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    every once in a while i have to force myself to get changed and get out the house, but the feeling of being really knackered after a good run is the best!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    And I thought you wore your thigh-high patent leather numbers down to Tesco!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i tried the C25K twice.. I just can't do it. I think perhaps I'm still too big. Also, I think I need better sneakers. Also, Its hard for me to keep to a schedule of every other day for training b/c my schedule is ever changing. For now, I'll just stick to power walking. Seems to be working for my body. Maybe once I lose 50+lbs I'll be light enough to start jog/run.
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Just started! In week 1 of c25k! I'm sore, but loving the feeling!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've tried to go running/jogging but I have absolutely no endurance. I can't go more than 250 m before I have to stop and spend 5 minutes panting and chugging water. I can do about 3 x 250 m before I get a really painful stitch in my side and have to stop. The other day I decided I would run the 1.20 km from my place to the gym... I made it but I had a pounding headache that cut my workout short.

So I walk instead. I use an app to track my distance, speed, calories burned, etc. Since July 21st, I've walked 97 kilometres and burned almost 7000 calories. Walking can be a great cardio workout too and it's less tough on your joints. :)

I wish I could run, though, and maybe if I try again when it's cooler I'll have better luck.

I had the same problem when I first started running. I started out by walking and running alternately until finally I built up enough endurance to run the whole distance. But you are correct, walking is great cardio and you can definitely get in shape just by walking.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K twice.. I just can't do it. I think perhaps I'm still too big. Also, I think I need better sneakers. Also, Its hard for me to keep to a schedule of every other day for training b/c my schedule is ever changing. For now, I'll just stick to power walking. Seems to be working for my body. Maybe once I lose 50+lbs I'll be light enough to start jog/run.
    I was never able to run before and starting at 45 years old, I didn't think I'd be one now, either.

I had a lot of difficulties with C25K at the beginning, too, which for me was in April. I ended up creating my own Week 0 where I jogged for only 30 seconds and walked for 90 seconds. After a few weeks, and some conversations with other runners, I'm sticking to intervals. I'm up to 3 or 4 minutes running and 1 minute walking, with an eventual goal of 6 minutes/1 minute for the length of a 10K. Maybe even a half marathon. I'm not pushing for speed at this point, just trying to keep to a 12 minute mile.

Don't be afraid to take it slower if you need to. This isn't some sort of contest or endurance race. If it's too much, back off, but keep trying. My suggestion would be to add a few bursts of jogging in with your power walk, even if it's just 15 or 30 seconds at a time, then walk for several minutes again. I'm betting you'll find those jogging sessions get easier and easier as well as eventually getting longer.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    And I thought you wore your thigh-high patent leather numbers down to Tesco!

Waitrose, dahlink, Waitrose....one simply cannot abide Tesco!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    C25K week 7, Got through the first 20 minute run of week 5 and wanted to shout it from the mountain tops! It really does feel SO GOOD!!!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    C25K week 7, Got through the first 20 minute run of week 5 and wanted to shout it from the mountain tops! It really does feel SO GOOD!!!

Go you! It's such a brilliant feeling, isn't it? Very, very well done! :flowerforyou:
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

+1
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    I tried the C25K twice.. I just can't do it. I think perhaps I'm still too big. Also, I think I need better sneakers. Also, Its hard for me to keep to a schedule of every other day for training b/c my schedule is ever changing. For now, I'll just stick to power walking. Seems to be working for my body. Maybe once I lose 50+lbs I'll be light enough to start jog/run.

I absolutely agree that you do need to be able to schedule in regular runs but they don't have to be at the same time every day (although I admit I prefer to run in the early mornings). You might have a point about the running shoes - I do feel this is something which really cannot be compromised. A really good sports bra is a must too.

I don't agree with your comment that perhaps you're too heavy! I started a few weeks before my 48th birthday, at 60lbs overweight. I've lost 22lbs since then, and am fitter than I've been for goodness knows how long!

When I first started C25K, it was really difficult, and there were several times during that first two weeks when I was quite literally in tears from the pain in my thighs after a run (I use the term 'run' very loosely!). Some MFPers will no doubt remember that. Berry will - she really helped me during that time!

I've blogged about my first experience of C25K - you may find it useful. :smile:

http://icanyoucanwecan-blog.blogspot.com/2011/07/c25k-week-1-not-quite-ready-to-engage.html

However, I persevered, and I am so glad I did. I just told myself that giving up was not an option. I applied the same stubborn attitude to my running as I do to life - nothing is going to get the better of me!

I haven't graduated C25K yet because at Week 6, I went back to the start so that I could run with my friend, who was inspired by my efforts (yay)! We got up to Week 8 a few weeks ago and then I got a cold, which went to my chest, plus I had a few days off because I got shin splints (which are fine now). For the past two weeks, we've repeated W6, D2 so that I can re-build my stamina (my chest is almost recovered now) and fitness levels. We also changed our route to include long uphill runs to further build up my levels (one side of the entire park is all uphill). Although it was hard, it seems to have done the trick!

We've decided that we're not going to go with the rest of C25K just yet because although we've both run 25mins with no walking several times, neither of us are ready to go back to that just yet, so on our next run, we're doing 5mins brisk walk to warm up (I usually do 30-60 mins cardio before we go out as well - *that's* how much fitter I am now!), and then run 15, walk 5, run 15, brisk 5min walk to cool off. We'll do that a couple of times and see how we get on, but I predict that it won't be long before we reduce the walking to 3 mins in between, and up the length of the runs. We'll probably be running for 30 mins in less than a month...I hope!

The point of all this is that no matter how big you are (and Brownski860, your starting weight is roughly my current weight!), you *can* run if you really have a mind to. And if you don't believe me, look at this video:

http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html

Now tell me you are too big to run!