Food and Emotions

Options
I'm wondering if anyone does Overeaters Anonymous? I've realized I have a problems. I'm addicted to sweet foods. I find myself eating sweets when I'm so full I'm going to bust but feel I NEED them. I can't stop thinking about them. I went a whole 2 days without sweets and I swear DH looked like a Twinkie. I obsess over them and it seems if I have some I NEED more. I've even convinced myself that I dont need to lose weight ( I'm 5'4 and 165 yes I need to lose weight) in order to eat sweets. I can't seem to stop. Also, if I eat sweet foods like fruit I can't stop. I feel I need to go cold turkey for a while. Anyone else have this problem? Please help!!

Replies

• MrsBlackman
    Options
    Oh my god, YES, I have exactly the same problem! I could sit and eat chocolate or ice cream ALL DAY LONG!!! I start to think "one or two bars won't hurt" and if I go a few days without, I get so moody! I snap at everyone and feel so down! I eat until I want to vomit then I feel so guilty! Why can't they do zero cal chocolate! LOL.
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options
    Oh my god, YES, I have exactly the same problem! I could sit and eat chocolate or ice cream ALL DAY LONG!!! I start to think "one or two bars won't hurt" and if I go a few days without, I get so moody! I snap at everyone and feel so down! I eat until I want to vomit then I feel so guilty! Why can't they do zero cal chocolate! LOL.
    OMG, I get extremely moody and I love my "alone" time with a plate of cookies. I agree with the wanting to vomit part , I feel the same way
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    try skinny cow ice cream.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! For me it was also a mind set. If I wasnt going to let myself have them, then I wanted them even more! I still have days that I eat everything or obsess about it, but its getting better. Through lots of prayer and changing my thinking (very slowly) from I need it, to I enjoy it but I NEED to get healthy. I dont deprive myself anymore, I just try to have a serving size of it. Not that it always happens like its planned, but with every victory I feel a little stronger :) You can do it!! Find your motivation :)
  • aapye78
    Options
    try skinny cow ice cream.
    Sadly it's not skinny if you eat the whole box. Seriously eating sweet foods just makes me want more and more until I'm sick. :(
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do have this problem as well. What works for me is I cut them out almost completely. I would have a "cheat day". A day to enjoy all the sweets and unhealthy food I wanted guilt free. Through the week I would look forward to this day. If I broke during the week I wasn't allowed to have my beloved cheat day. It was my motivation to eat right. Once you really get into the healthy lifestyle you begin to notice that your "cheat days" become less desireable when you see the product of being good all week. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months doing this.... not saying it will work for everyone I just know it worked for me.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi:flowerforyou: I downloaded a book today that may help...100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on any Diet.~Linda Spangle. She also wrote another book about emotional eating. Feel free to add me as a friend. I posted an excerpt from the book today. You can overcome emotional eating.
  • lms32164
    lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is good info from livestrong.com
    Sugar is one of the leading causes of chronic illnesses through nutrition. Any time that you have a craving, it might be a sign that you have a hormonal imbalance. The most common causes of hormonal imbalance are blood sugar imbalances and a lack of healthy nutrition. By employing all the methods below you can eat healthy and stop the sugar cravings.
    Step 1
    If you feel like you want a piece of candy, grab some healthy fruit instead. Fruits such as prunes and apples contain natural sugars and fiber to help make you feel full. Fruit also contains vital minerals and vitamins. You can also eat dried fruit, but avoid buying dried fruit with sugar and oils.
    Step 2
    Replace refined grains and regular flours with 100 percent whole grains like brown rice, amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa. Make sure the packaging of these products say 100 percent wholegrain.
    Sweetener Myths and Facts Sweeteners & Your Dietary Health: Learn the Dietary Facts Here. www.SweetSurprise.com/
    Sponsored Links
    Step 3
    Eat plenty of sweet vegetables. Vegetables such as sweet corn, sweet potatoes, turnips and carrots can satisfy your hunger and help curb your sugar cravings.
    Step 4
    Avoid consuming refined artificial sweeteners such as xylitol, isomalt, sorbitol, maltitol, lactitol and mannitol. These artificial sugars are not healthy and can cause dhiarrhea. Instead, replace them with natural sweeteners such as organic maple syrup, stevia or agave nectar. Agave nectar is low on the glycemic index so it is very beneficial for individuals with diabetes.
    Step 5
    Eat one or two servings of green vegetables such as spinach, bitter melon and broccoli. The bitter flavor of these vegetables can help curb sweet cravings.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/32898-fight-sugar-cravings/#ixzz1UAZHZVM6

I hope it helps. I was also addicted to sugar but now I am fullfilled by using steps such as these. Best wishes! Lynne
  • aapye78
    Options
    I do have this problem as well. What works for me is I cut them out almost completely. I would have a "cheat day". A day to enjoy all the sweets and unhealthy food I wanted guilt free. Through the week I would look forward to this day. If I broke during the week I wasn't allowed to have my beloved cheat day. It was my motivation to eat right. Once you really get into the healthy lifestyle you begin to notice that your "cheat days" become less desireable when you see the product of being good all week. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months doing this.... not saying it will work for everyone I just know it worked for me.
    That's an idea, I may try that thanks
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem (except where chocolate is concerned) haha! but have read about it in bevioural and nutrition journals. It's kind of a viscous circle--when you eat these things (sweets) your body craves more. If you can manage to keep these things out of your house and body, you'll eventually stop craving them. You might need the committed support of those around you to accomplish this; and your own resolution so you don't end up sabotaging your goal.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just can't leave it if it's there. For me at least i let myself have some but i don't have it in the house. I buy single portions which may be more expensive but it is better so i go to the icecream van or walk to the shop to get whatever. If it's int he house i can't think of anything else till it's gone.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can certainly relate to what you're saying - often I eat purely because I get an uncontrollable urge to do so - it has nothing to do with being hungry! I have also thought about joining Overeaters annon, but have never actually done so. Like you, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has joined! I am very much an emotional eater too - if something goes wrong, or upsets me, I comfort eat.

At least you overeat on fruit sometimes - that can't be as bad as eating other things! With me it's usually either chocolate or crisps/savoury snacks.

Anyway, I do sympathise - but I think you'll find a lot of other people have had this problem too. Hope you are able to find the help you need, either on this forum or elsewhere. :smile:
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't do Overeaters Anonymous, but I am doing another 12 step program, Adult Children of Alcoholics. Google overeaters anonymous, the site has lots of information and how to find meetings. I understand your issue. I don't necessarily crave sweet things, but I fill my bored moments with mindless, compulsive eating. And sometimes, I feel like a smoker must feel when I am depriving myself of the compulsion to eat, to pacify myself.
    I just read "Is Overeaters anonymous for you?" Looks like it is.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think about food all.the.time. I love food. I feel better when I eat lots of yummy things. But I'm learning that feel good feeling doesn't last. And then I feel sick after. So I'm trying to remember that before I give into cravings.
  • tiggerlilly1001
    Options
    . do have this problem as well. What works for me is I cut them out almost completely. I would have a "cheat day". A day to enjoy all the sweets and unhealthy food I wanted guilt free. Through the week I would look forward to this day. If I broke during the week I wasn't allowed to have my beloved cheat day. It was my motivation to eat right. Once you really get into the healthy lifestyle you begin to notice that your "cheat days" become less desireable when you see the product of being good all week. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months doing this.... not saying it will work for everyone I just know it worked for me.
    I think that is good idea.
  • aapye78
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just can't leave it if it's there. For me at least i let myself have some but i don't have it in the house. I buy single portions which may be more expensive but it is better so i go to the icecream van or walk to the shop to get whatever. If it's int he house i can't think of anything else till it's gone.

I have another issue with my husband bringing it into the house. I have actually found myself feeding it to the kids more than I should just so it will be gone. UGH.
  • cuca17
    cuca17 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the problem with bread, but lately I've been behaving. When you feel that way, drink water and instead have an apple or any other fruits. Good luck and hope we all can reach our goal. At least once a week you should eat your favor sweets... today I will :drink:
  • MrsBlackman
    Options
    I can't keep them out of my house, my 'skinny' husband says he HAS to have chocolate to take to work! GIT! LOL.
  • aapye78
    Options
    I can't keep them out of my house, my 'skinny' husband says he HAS to have chocolate to take to work! GIT! LOL.
    see that's my problem, I also have an underweight child on a high calorie diet ( not junk but high calorie).
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I have another issue with my husband bringing it into the house. I have actually found myself feeding it to the kids more than I should just so it will be gone. UGH.

My OH is addicted to sugar. I've told him that he can't buy it when i'm around and he can't store it in the house where i know where it is.