Are you supppsed to stay in the fat burning zone?

Options
2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    In addition to specific training goals, this could also have relevance to diabetics. Knowing how many carbs vs fat will be burned in a given exercise session can help with those who require careful meal planning.

Do you know of diabetics who are relying on this idea or are you just throwing stuff out there? The diabetics that I know keep their glucose meters handy and wouldn't rely on a guesstimate of how much of a given substrate is used when exercising.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and somewhat follow this... with a much more complicated approach than what is described.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    900 cals in 20 minutes. ....big fat lie.

Dammit...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In addition to specific training goals, this could also have relevance to diabetics. Knowing how many carbs vs fat will be burned in a given exercise session can help with those who require careful meal planning.

Do you know of diabetics who are relying on this idea or are you just throwing stuff out there? The diabetics that I know keep their glucose meters handy and wouldn't rely on a guesstimate of how much of a given substrate is used when exercising.
    From this article that shows varying carb amounts people diabetics should eat in relation to exercise intensity, here is just one comment:
    I liked this article. It defined what the different intensity levels were by the exercises in each level. I also take my glucometer with me when I go to the YMCA and work out on the treadmill. If I get shaky, I take my bloodsugar reading then and treat myself before it gets to an emergency situation.

Except that article says nothing about in a "fat burning" zone. It says, in the actual article, for diabetics to check blood glucose with a meter and then have some carbs to offset the exercise use of blood sugar. In the actual article:
    Because of the risk of hypoglycemia, you should always check your blood glucose level before you exercise. Having a carbohydrate containing snack prior to exercising is one way to prevent exercise related hypoglycemia. Use the chart below to make the recommended adjustments, based on your glucose reading, before you exercise. Click here for a detailed, printable chart that shows single (15-gram) servings of carbohydrate-containing foods.

None of this is relevant to the OP, btw.
    Ok, here is someone with diabetes who talks about the fat burning zone (along with other zones) in relation to his condition. This is still related to the OP, as the question didn't explicitly state whether for weight loss.

OP was asking -- pretty obviously from a weight loss perspective -- whether you should try to stay in the fat burning zone and avoid more intense cardio. The answer is no, period.

That someone who is diabetic (which this thread was not about) may need to adjust fueling strategy based on intensity of exercise DOES NOT change that. Similarly, as I and others mentioned, the so-called fat burning zone may be used in endurance training and endurance activities, but that does not affect the answer to the OP's question which was (essentially): is it always better to stay in the fat burning zone and to try to avoid more intense exercise when trying to lose weight. The two contrasting views on the topic presented in the OP demonstrate this.

And once again, the link you give did not support your original point in that the poster was not saying diabetics should avoid the cardio zone or any such thing, but that TESTING will determine how you need to refuel (and you may be able to predict this based on intensity of exercise, especially with experience). OP was not asking "should I eat differently if I do cardio" or "I am diabetic, how should I time my food around exercise." Those are specific questions. OP was asking: "for fat loss, is there a reason to stay in the fat burning zone only," which is reflective of advice you hear, and terrible advice it is.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While lower intensity exercise burns a higher percentage of fat with that type of exercise, burning more calories because of a higher intensity for the same duration will usually burn MORE fat overall.

So let's say someone burns 100 calories doing low intensity exercise for 30 minutes. Let's also say that the burn is 60% from fat. That's 60 calories.

Now let's say that same person does a high intensity workout and burns 250 calories in the same 30 minutes. Let's also say that the burn is only 35% from fat. That's 87.5 calories.

So the reality is, you STILL burn fat doing either, but realize that burning more calories overall STILL burn more fat. And we're not talking STORE BODY FAT here but dietary fat.

To burn STORED BODY FAT you have to be in deficit and you actually burn the most body fat AT REST.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So you're burning 250 calories instead of 100 only burns 27.5 more calories? That seems like a lot of wasted effort.

You're also burning fat when later that day you're eating your meal and your body is filling your glycogen back up instead of burning those carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    900 cals in 20 minutes. ....big fat lie.

Well that isn't what he was trying to sell. What he was saying was that people that burn crazy calories like 900 in a short time are not really burning fat. He did say in one video that he burns 47 in 30 minutes on a treadmill and that would burn more fat.

He's just a foul-mouthed salesman trying to sell complexity where none is required.

You need to think far broader than just the relatively short period of time most people are exercising.
    Fat burning isn't just within the exercise period - it's what your body does when you are in a calorie deficit.

After intense exercise your partially depleted glycogen reserves will be topped up later when you next eat - you have diverted those carbs/calories eaten from immediate use to restocking your reserves and will be burning more fat because of it.

Have a read of this from Lyle McDonald....
    https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=79
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

From this article that shows varying carb amounts people diabetics should eat in relation to exercise intensity, here is just one comment:
    I liked this article. It defined what the different intensity levels were by the exercises in each level. I also take my glucometer with me when I go to the YMCA and work out on the treadmill. If I get shaky, I take my bloodsugar reading then and treat myself before it gets to an emergency situation.

Except that article says nothing about in a "fat burning" zone. It says, in the actual article, for diabetics to check blood glucose with a meter and then have some carbs to offset the exercise use of blood sugar. In the actual article:
    Because of the risk of hypoglycemia, you should always check your blood glucose level before you exercise. Having a carbohydrate containing snack prior to exercising is one way to prevent exercise related hypoglycemia. Use the chart below to make the recommended adjustments, based on your glucose reading, before you exercise. Click here for a detailed, printable chart that shows single (15-gram) servings of carbohydrate-containing foods.

None of this is relevant to the OP, btw.
    Ok, here is someone with diabetes who talks about the fat burning zone (along with other zones) in relation to his condition. This is still related to the OP, as the question didn't explicitly state whether for weight loss.

OP was asking -- pretty obviously from a weight loss perspective -- whether you should try to stay in the fat burning zone and avoid more intense cardio. The answer is no, period.

That someone who is diabetic (which this thread was not about) may need to adjust fueling strategy based on intensity of exercise DOES NOT change that. Similarly, as I and others mentioned, the so-called fat burning zone may be used in endurance training and endurance activities, but that does not affect the answer to the OP's question which was (essentially): is it always better to stay in the fat burning zone and to try to avoid more intense exercise when trying to lose weight. The two contrasting views on the topic presented in the OP demonstrate this.

And once again, the link you give did not support your original point in that the poster was not saying diabetics should avoid the cardio zone or any such thing, but that TESTING will determine how you need to refuel (and you may be able to predict this based on intensity of exercise, especially with experience). OP was not asking "should I eat differently if I do cardio" or "I am diabetic, how should I time my food around exercise." Those are specific questions. OP was asking: "for fat loss, is there a reason to stay in the fat burning zone only," which is reflective of advice you hear, and terrible advice it is.
    I wasn't saying that diabetics should only be in the fat burning zone, but rather having an awareness of the fat burn vs cardio zone is relevant to them.

But certainly, with regards to weight loss, I do agree that there is no importance there.