Sugars from fruit

Options
What are the thoughts on this i have been eating clean small meals for 2 weeks now my only sugars are naturally occurring ones but i am allways over my sugars from fruit even though i am allways under carbs is it ok if its fruit sugars? The only sugars i add are about 40g of honey over the day.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Do you have a reson to limit sugar?
  • stonedog1
    stonedog1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

No i am just trying to stay within my macros which i guess if im sraying under cabs i am staying under the big macros or hitting them >▪<
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not a macro, it's a subset of carbs.

If you are in your carbs but high on sugar, the only thing I'd look at is fiber (fruit has fiber, but it depends on the fruit) and diversity of the diet. Certainly you should make sure you are not eating fruit instead of vegetables, as vegetables are important. Beyond that, if you prefer fruit to starchier sources of carbs like grains or tubers, I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact, I don't even think staying under a particular carb number is that important so long as the diet is diverse, nutrient dense, and in particular includes enough protein and fat for your goals and for what makes you feel best.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    stonedog1 wrote: »

No i am just trying to stay within my macros which i guess if im sraying under cabs i am staying under the big macros or hitting them >▪<
    Macros is carbs, protein and fat, the nutrients that provide energy, calories. Sugar is a subset of carbs. Your main focus would most likely be on calories. A good macro split should help you stick to an appropriate amount of calories. Don't get so hung up in hitting macros that you lose focus on total calories, or burn out.
  • stonedog1
    stonedog1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat 300-600 grams of veg every day and wholemeal bread and or wholemeal pasta or brown rice everyday and im running at 30% protien so i think i have all that covered.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    stonedog1 wrote: »

If it's bothering you, edit your macros and change the macro settings to allocate a little more to sugars. This isn't exactly religion or rocket science - though many here seem to think it has to be more complicated than it is.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it's causing you stress then stop tracking sugar and track something more useful.
    I didn't see any point in tracking sugar (a carb) and carbs so switched sugar to fibre instead.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If it's causing you stress then stop tracking sugar and track something more useful.
    I didn't see any point in tracking sugar (a carb) and carbs so switched sugar to fibre instead.

I also switched my sugar to fiber.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I don't even track carbs. If I'm tracking calories, protein, and fat (and treating the latter two as minimums -- minima?), I don't see the point in tracking carbs, since once I've hit protein and fat, I can have as many or as little carbs as I want within my calorie limit.

I track calories, fiber, protein, fat, potassium, and iron -- everything except the calories have goals I treat as minima.