One month into training should I be cutting or gaining?

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    And I happen to think egg white omelets are delicious LOL maybe I haven't had enough of them yet

Add a couple of yolks. Please.
    Your list of favourite foods on your "diet" sounds both low in fat and off the pages of some men's health and fitness magazine. Being in a deficit doesn't require you to be so restrictive or stuck with such boring food options.
  • joshhansen360
    joshhansen360 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I was eating nutrient-dense foods that I didn't have to eat that many calories to feel satisfied.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I noticed when I was eating nutrient-dense foods that I didn't have to eat that many calories to feel satisfied.

Just because you're eating a lot and feeling full doesn't mean you're providing your body with sufficient nutrients. Restricting calories too much, and having too much of a deficit, is not healthy
  • joshhansen360
    joshhansen360 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for meals?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Whatever you like. Literally.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options

A balanced diet that meets your daily calorie needs.
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s body is different. I believe it’s a trial and error situation until you find what works for you. Some ppl can eat whatever they want and still be ripped while some ppl have to watch what they eat because if they look at some cake they gain 30lbs . I’ve been lifting for 10 years and I’ve found the best training methods for me are to incorporate them all! Lift heavy, lift moderate weight, drop sets, supersets,etc! Have fun with it! Give it a try ! It may work it may not. Plus your only a month in. Give it at least 3 months to see some results. If your not seeing what u want then tweak your diet or workout regimen a little bit and go from there.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Everyone’s body is different. I believe it’s a trial and error situation until you find what works for you. Some ppl can eat whatever they want and still be ripped while some ppl have to watch what they eat because if they look at some cake they gain 30lbs . I’ve been lifting for 10 years and I’ve found the best training methods for me are to incorporate them all! Lift heavy, lift moderate weight, drop sets, supersets,etc! Have fun with it! Give it a try ! It may work it may not. Plus your only a month in. Give it at least 3 months to see some results. If your not seeing what u want then tweak your diet or workout regimen a little bit and go from there.

For someone who hasn't been doing this long, a structured lifting program would be better than tooling around in the weight room.
  • Si_Brooks
    Si_Brooks Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Imo the only way you can lose fat and gain muscle is by bulking. 250 - 500 cals over maintenance. This way you are building muscle and putting on more weight, therefore reducing your body's overall body fat percentage. A 100kg kg guy at 17 % BF looks a lot leaner than an 80kg guy at 15% in my opinion.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Following this thread for tips and help.
    Being so strict eating for weight loss and now having trouble getting my head around eating enough to build without going back to the 300 lbs me. I do cardio once a day on the weekends and twice a day during the week (1000+ total a day) plus fairly heavy weights 6-7 days a week. It is all starting to close in on me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Following this thread for tips and help.
    Being so strict eating for weight loss and now having trouble getting my head around eating enough to build without going back to the 300 lbs me. I do cardio once a day on the weekends and twice a day during the week (1000+ total a day) plus fairly heavy weights 6-7 days a week. It is all starting to close in on me.

Have you even done a week of the heavy weights without nearly that much cardio to get a good idea of how much negative impact the cardio has?

It has some, may not be as bad in a surplus compared to diet, but recovery time doesn't drop to 0 because of eating more.

Is all the cardio so you can eat more in general?

Is the daily weights part of a split program, or experienced enough after 3-4 years to need 1x weekly program for muscle groups?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Si_Brooks wrote: »
    Imo the only way you can lose fat and gain muscle is by bulking. 250 - 500 cals over maintenance. This way you are building muscle and putting on more weight, therefore reducing your body's overall body fat percentage. A 100kg kg guy at 17 % BF looks a lot leaner than an 80kg guy at 15% in my opinion.

Except you would NOT be gaining just muscle, you would be gaining more fat too.

But true, just the mere transformations to body, even if just recomping, can mask whatever may be going on with weight or BF%.