How to turn down food?

Options
13»

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    [quote Sometimes I will say I have other plans, but I never tell them what those are. If they ask about my plans, a look of incredulity and a raised eyebrow stare (look of Excuse me?!) is generally enough as I repeat the thank you and that I can’t make it. Just because people want to know something doesn’t give them a right to the answer.

People have a hard time accepting boundaries sometimes.
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more!

• rebben23
    rebben23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will say “Oh, no, thank you” or, if I feel they went out of their way to make something especially for me or because they knew I always enjoy ______, I’ll say “Just a small bit, please”. And then I’ll eat my few bites without guilt.

I think this is a time of year where people equate food with love - wanting to bake/cook for those they care about. I never want someone to feel like I don’t appreciate them thinking of me (with food!), so I do try to fit a bite or two in if I can!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a problem accepting whatever and when backs are turned throw it out!
    Easy peasy!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me long ago......better wasted in trash can than in me!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just tell them: sorry. That particular food gives me really bad gas. Always works :)
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Always walk round with a plate with food on if it's a buffet then you can say you still have some. If a no offends ask for it to be wrapped for later as you would like to enjoy it later. Then save for later or bin it.

Not the best advice. Why waste food?? Be honest, why does this need to be made into a big deal? I hate lying, especially over trivial things because then it becomes a habit. People should accept that you don't want to eat. Unless they are physically forcing it down your mouth, there really isn't a problem. Just refuse!
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Haven't had a problem accepting whatever and when backs are turned throw it out!
    Easy peasy!

I am actually quite shocked at this! Why is this acceptable?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    No is a complete answer.
  • Tygirl2016
    Tygirl2016 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I understand the "throw it out" comment. As a teacher, I get offered a lot of food from other staff and students! I found it too difficult to turn down a child's offer, so now I accept the food and tell them I will enjoy it later. It feeds the trash can at the end of the day unless it is something that I truly want to fit into my plan.
  • Mewwwww
    Mewwwww Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dont be on or near your period.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    "No thank you" always worked for me. I will repeat that if I have to (stressing the No part more) and if the giver keeps insisting it will become a case of "which part of NO is not working for you, the N-part or the O-part"

Only once did the giver follow up with; "No need to become rude", with a reply from me "I find it very rude to insist that people accept your offer despite their polite decline". Which finally made them back off and they now know not to ignore a "No thank you"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I have a hard time turning down food that's handed to me, especially if the giver is trying to be extra nice and I am in their home. I tend to eat it even if I don't want it, am full, and it doesn't even taste very good. I felt like I beat this issue recently, but in reality, it hasn't come up all that much. I was handed food last night that I didn't really want. I tried turning it down and even suggested a lighter alternative. Then I absentmindedly ate it anyway. 900 calories later, I got a stomach ache, had to take an antacid, and had to lay down until I digested. I got angry, I mean, really angry; full of self-loathing. I had a lot to do that didn't get done because of my self-induced pains. I felt gross. I wanted to blame the giver, but I know only I can take responsibility for what goes in my body. Today, I don't feel so sick, but I don't trust myself to handle these next couple of weeks very well. Surely this situation is going to come up again and again with holiday events, and I am only going to have so much "rejection" energy in me. Struggling to turn down food is not new, but this newly following self-loathing isn't productive or helpful. It seems I've made the problem worse. I am not sure how to prepare myself for these next couple of weeks :(

I had an unintentional 900 calorie meal last week...I made focaccia from scratch and made the mistake of figuring out how many calories were in it AFTER I ate :(

I should have known from all the olive oil...maybe I DID know and that's why I didn't put it in the recipe builder until after dinner, lol.

My mom is kind of a food pusher. She'll offer me everything in the house, lol. But she's just doing it to be hospitable and has no problem with my "No, this is plenty."
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Shift your focus away from deprival and eating to please --it *is* a really yuckky place to be.

First, it is perfectly OK to simply realize that the holiday season just totally works against trying to lose, and while for some people they can do it, you may not be in that place. Maybe you can just go on maintenance for a week or two... a week or even two is really a blip in the whole process.

Next, go in with a better plan. I try to go into a family food gathering, and scope out what really looks good. And I eat it. But only ONE small serving, and keep it to one medium-sized dinner plate. I focus on what I feel will really make me happy.

Drink a lot of water or no-cal beverages, to keep your mouth busy. It also helps keep people from constantly trying to freshen your drink.

• DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tygirl2016 wrote: »
    I understand the "throw it out" comment. As a teacher, I get offered a lot of food from other staff and students! I found it too difficult to turn down a child's offer, so now I accept the food and tell them I will enjoy it later. It feeds the trash can at the end of the day unless it is something that I truly want to fit into my plan.

My teacher friends donate sealed packets to charities and rest homes.

Yes! Heck, even a neighbor, church, homeless shelter, how about your mailperson or favorite lady at the post office. Spread the Love!