How to turn down food?

Options
I have a hard time turning down food that's handed to me, especially if the giver is trying to be extra nice and I am in their home. I tend to eat it even if I don't want it, am full, and it doesn't even taste very good. I felt like I beat this issue recently, but in reality, it hasn't come up all that much. I was handed food last night that I didn't really want. I tried turning it down and even suggested a lighter alternative. Then I absentmindedly ate it anyway. 900 calories later, I got a stomach ache, had to take an antacid, and had to lay down until I digested. I got angry, I mean, really angry; full of self-loathing. I had a lot to do that didn't get done because of my self-induced pains. I felt gross. I wanted to blame the giver, but I know only I can take responsibility for what goes in my body. Today, I don't feel so sick, but I don't trust myself to handle these next couple of weeks very well. Surely this situation is going to come up again and again with holiday events, and I am only going to have so much "rejection" energy in me. Struggling to turn down food is not new, but this newly following self-loathing isn't productive or helpful. It seems I've made the problem worse. I am not sure how to prepare myself for these next couple of weeks :(

Replies

• amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good on the words, it's the brain to mouth part I struggle with. It's SO ingrained in me to accept anything I'm given. If I can starts with the words, the correct thoughts are sure to follow.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    "I'm counting calories and that won't fit in my calories for the day"
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    "No thank you" is usually enough. If the giver needs more a "It looks great but I can't" should do it.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    People do care. It's better than saying you're on a diet, it starts a conversation. It has for everyone I've told.
    I've lost 11 pounds.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pop some gum in your mouth. Mint gum helps me not to eat when I do not want to.
    "No thanks."
    "I'm not hungry"
    Move away from the food. Get your mind and hands involved in something.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Prelog your food the day before so your diary is complete. Any extra food from others requires you to move out some of the other food you already planned.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Not if you explain it correctly. Unless, they are also restricting.

Mind you some people hear this and say - It's Christmas, you're on a diet, that's terrible!

But whatever, I don't need that negativity in my life. I just say it's NOT a diet.