Best weight loss tips/advice!?!?

Options
Getting started on my weight loss journey!
Please give me, your best advice. I mostly plan to stay with the Paleo lifestyle. Any advise/suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    All the above!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make it all about hitting an achievable goal, like calorie, macros, minutes of exercises, etc., rather than a scale weight target.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Weigh loss is a set of things to do. #1 is your food diary.

Your food diary is for tracking everyday, not just the good days.

Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has been said, why do an elimination diet like paleo? Do you just enjoy paleo? If so, great. If it is a new diet completely different from your normal diet, it probably won’t last long.

I’ve lost 52 pounds in the last 13 months eating exactly what I ate before...just less of it and some lower calorie swaps.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy Paleo there's nothing wrong with that, but please don't feel you need a special diet to lose weight. Early humans ate a wide variety of foods, and when the gene for lactose tolerance in adults first appeared in Europe it spread like wildfire because it gave the people who had it such a survival advantage.

I'm down 112 lbs, eating moderate amounts of the foods I enjoy and exercising more. My recommendation would be to get in at least 15 minutes of intense activity a day, which will improve your health and earn you a few more calories to eat back. Track and log everything.
  • flyandsleek
    flyandsleek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exercise at least 3 days a week for 30 min
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Exercise at least 3 days a week for 30 min

While this isn’t bad advice, it’s not necessary to lose weight. One can maintain a calorie deficit and lose weight without any exercise.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ive just started my 2018 journey too (boxing day)
    - Logging all my food
    - weighing my food (my husband lost 30 pounds last year just by weighing and logging and cutting out bread).
    - Lifting heavier weights 2 of 4 weight lifting days (4 rep range)
    - 2 bootcamps or spinning each week
    - Doing the whole30 for 30 days to kick start and rid myself of sugar (or at least teach myself to be more aware of the sugar in food)
    18 pounds of fat to lose by June. No more excuses. Good luck.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 for 30? If that’s what I think it is, you may be a masochist.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Whole30 program for 30 days: no dairy, sugar or sweeteners, or gluten. Just vegetables, lean meat and good fat like olive or coconut oil or nuts. All whole foods, nothing processsed. Its hard. Day 3 and im light headed haha but i swear my mid section looks flatter. I slept really well too and feel energetic. I had an overindulgent christmas. Waaaayyyy too many treats and chocolate and i felt really sick and tired. Its only 30 days. I just need a reset to focus. Health is a full time job. I asked my doctor for advice. She said eat better and work out harder. Simple. I slip really easily once i "cheat" So i need to so something strict to get me started. Still logging and weighing everything and staying within my calorie allowance. I guess it is kind of masochistic but i have 18 Ibs of fat all on my upper body lol. Letting that happen was masochistic haha. Oh and i cannot weigh urself for the full 30 days.
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What happens when you start allowing the "banned" foods back in your diet after the 30 days?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Best advice?

Do you. Don't try every single thing suggested by others, but use common sense and your history to guide you to what works well for you. If you despise exercise even after trying many types, don't convince yourself that you will work out 4-5 times a week. If you tend to obsess over certain things, avoid those things as they pertain to your diet plan. Don't let me or anyone else tell you to eat a couple donuts and move on since you will enjoy the treat... if you know that you will just eat more donuts on a regular basis. If you like eating Paleo do it, if you think it's the only way to lose weight and would rather eat another style.... then do that instead.

It's the long term that matters, and small changes you can sustain change that long term. Don't be afraid to think for yourself, and accept that there will be both potentially good and potentially bad advice to be found on these forums. The advice you can live with long term is more likely to be the advice that is good for YOU.