Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Vegas will have fantastic Mexican food.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the recommendation for Lotus of Siam. I would do that over Le Thai. The food is great. The neighborhood is really dicey. Take a cab or drive.

My favorite Mexican restaurant is La Casa De Don Juan. It's in the arts district. The mole is fantastic:-) Again, the neighborhood isn't that great so I would suggest going early and taking a cab.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    In and Out is overrated.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    whats the saying? what happens in vegas.... stays there? ha!, we got good burger joints in Canada, but I think we make the best on our own bbq, does vegas not have any gourmet food,? your going to vegas to eat burgers? well, I bet I am pretty close to wherever you are in Canada, bring your wife. you will have more fun here then in vegas! My husband does the most amazing burgers!
  • dbanks80
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't think of Vegas as a place to go for culinary amazingness...the food was pretty standard imo.

I agree and pretty bland imo. But I just go there to drink and party not food.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Wicked Spoon is awesome. You probably have to stand in line. Go, anyway, and go hungry. (If you go to Reef first, it will be the best buffet experience in your whole life.)

I say skip In 'n Out and go to Pink's Hot Dogs.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Vegas has some of the best restuarants in the world. It depends on what you want to spend on food. Your burger places are just fast food burgers, is that what you are looking for? More sort of classic or iconic American type places or do you want really great food?

I second Lotus of Siam over Le Thai. I love Le Thai and it is really good tho if you are downtown and want food.

If you like arepas Viva las Arepas is at the strip and Oakey (far north end). Art of Flavors is a great frozen custard place next door. These are SUPER casual, locals places. Another popular locals place for breakfast is the Omelet house on Charleston. It is the opposite of fancy.

Lola's has amazing southern style food. It's down town (Charleston and Main). Also downtown is Makers and Finders. They have a lavendar latte that I am in love with. They serve a weird hybrid blend of latin food. There is a new bar across the street that is half bar, half thrift store. Super funky. If you want a funky organic experience, PublicUS is on the other side of downtown. Food is great, people are weird. I like it. It's just a fancy coffee shop, tho.

I spend the bulk of my time downtown so you can see these are my haunts. You have to be able to dig the dirty downtown/burgeoning revitalization aspect tho. You can also visit one of the memorial gardens from the October shooting when down there.

For fancy strip stuff, STK is crazy big right now.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I don't think of Vegas as a place to go for culinary amazingness...the food was pretty standard imo.

Dude you're hitting up the wrong places!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Dude you're hitting up the wrong places!

I agree. I am going to try that Wicked Spoon though.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If you run out of ideas and are willing to wander off the Strip, Google the list of places that Guy Fierei has featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive-ins and Drives).
  • peanutbuttertoastgal
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Stay close to a restroom.... every time I eat something there... especially buffets...

Just keep this in mind. ;)

Pro Life Tip!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a good burger but I don't really think I'd ever hit up a fast food chain to find one. It's been a long time but I've been to some great places to eat in Vegas. The 2 that stand out most were the nice fancy restaurants at The mirage and Paris. I really don't recall having a bad meal in Vegas, but then again I didn't eat at cheap chain places.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for pizza, I had some pretty good pie at Pizza Rock just off Fremont St.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am of the unpopular opinion, but I recently went to AZ from PA excited to try In N Out since everyone raves about. It was a major disappointment; Five Guys is better. I wish I could go back and eat at a non-chain instead of that place.

I always Yelp to find out what other people are saying about food in a certain area. I do not remember eating anything in Vegas that blew me away though. :) Have fun!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've lived in Vegas since 90. The strip buffets are really good IMO. I like Benihana's new location in the Fashion Show mall. Maggiano's Little Italy, Pizza rock, Grimaldis pizza, shake shack, Sugar Factory, Cabo Wabo, Bubba Gump. White Castle recently opened on the strip. Golden Steer for a classic Vegas vibe (expensive but great food).
    Five Guys > In n out
  • erika307
    erika307 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try Skinny Fats... their food is awesome. They have “skinny” and “fatty” versions of their meals. Both are yummy :)
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Since no ones weighed in on the vegetarian portion of your I will. Most restaurants will have a menu online so your wife can look at her options ahead of time and plan out her meal. I have also found most places quite accommodating to us that like a more plant based diet and have never found anyone to be rude or insulting if I ask for something without meat. There are also a lot of vegan/vegetarian places to eat if you know where to look or happen to stumble across them. I use Happy Cow to find them https://www.happycow.net/
    My favorite places to eat in Vegas are Egg Slut and Gordon Ramsey's Pub and Grill. On my list for my visit in March I have added Peppermill, Nacho Daddy, Pizza Rock, and Burgr.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh and on a side note Steve Wynn, owner of the Encore and Wynn in Las Vegas, is a vegan so a lot of the restaurants in those hotels have multiple vegetarian/vegan options.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree that In N Out is overrated. I grew up in Southern California, and it's just a normal burger place. If you want to try it just for the novelty idea, fine, but don't waste a whole meal there. Go for a snack and get a cheeseburger (like 300ish cals) and split a fry with someone. You'll get to taste it and still leave room for actually good stuff.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Stay close to a restroom.... every time I eat something there... especially buffets...

Just keep this in mind. ;)

Pro Life Tip!

Well as a Vegas native who has eaten out hundreds of time in my lifetime I, nor anyone I know has gotten sick every time they eat here. Granted I do not go to buffets hardly ever, but if you are eating from a trough of food that is sitting out for anyone to touch, sneeze and cough on, then you might get sick. On the other hand, I have gotten some suggestions of restaurants to try when I want to go out and eat.