Depression and a new start

Options
Three years ago I lost over 80 pounds. I was 232 pounds when I stopped. Somewhere along the way, I lost myself. I thought I found the love of my life and became engaged only to break up three weeks after the engagement. He left me for another woman that he just knew for six months, and she became pregnant. I then ended up having a one night stand with a guy friend that infected me with trichomonas( a curable STI). Months later I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst. I was in deep depression half of the year. I am now 5'8 and 340 pounds. I am devastated. However today, I will change, and I will find myself again. At 25, I need to learn to love myself and to maintain my health. I deactivated all social media accounts and will focus on me starting today. Looking for much encouragement.

Replies

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am so sorry to hear how rough things have been for you. I can assure you that you are in good company.

I lost 50lbs in 6 months in 2012. I was so excited and happy. Then I got sick, landed in the hospital, nearly ended up homeless when my insurance didn't pay out and then started university. Through all of this, I gained 80lbs. I felt like a failure. I was so embarrassed. TBH, to this day, I am still humiliated and embarrassed that losing weight is something I need to do. I cringe every time I see a Facebook memory from the time I was smaller.

I was back to working at it, especially after getting engaged, but then my engagement ended and my courseload at school was insane. I ended up gaining another 10 lbs.

I've been working hard at it since last year, but feel super embarrassed that in 2017 I only lost 25 lbs and holy crap it was hard. But I've learned a lot and feel better prepared to take on 2018.

I am going to send you an fr. Anyone else reading this, feel free to add me. :)
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you recognized and made the most important first step there is in the process ... you are making YOURSELF A PRIORITY. That's the number one thing, before anything else - you and your health come first. Everything else is built around that! Stay strong and remember, consistency and patience are key. Also be willing to recognize that failure is part of the process. If you fall, it's ok... you get back up, learn from your mistake and don't let it happen twice. The GREAT news in all this ... you are 25!! You have so much undiscovered good stuff ahead of you! All those obstacles you've faced have made you stronger... you know this because you know the answer now.
  • SammiJKewley1969
    SammiJKewley1969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm going thru something similar. I lost over 100lbs and went from a UK size 24 to a size 8 and then last year was really tough. I ended up signed off work with mental health problems and on anti depressants. During the course of the year I've put over 80lbs back on and been drinking heavily which just makes everything worse.
    I restarted my health n fitness plan today with the focus on looking after myself better rather than just losing weight: so getting sober, eating more protein/less carbs and being more active. I intend to log in everyday and do my diary no matter what. I'd like more friends for mutual support. Feel free to add me anyone
    Sammi
  • Erin1082
    Erin1082 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over too. I began my journey in January 2016 and had lost 90 pounds by July. I hit a plaute and tried lots of adjusting. I gained weight so quickly over the holidays. I tried in 2017 to begin again, but had trouble behind committed. I've gained back all but 10 pounds, and in not entirely sure I didn't gain that over the holidays this year. I'm preparing to start over and would love new, mfp active friends. Feel free to add me.
    We can do this!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    TMI, but you'll succeed at weight loss by using the community here.
  • Dani13791
    Dani13791 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Your story touched me, and I too went through a massive weight loss, then gained it back due to mental health issues.
    However back on it, and this time on a great community of like minded people and with special workouts :)
    Keep strong.