Vegetarian

Options
Anybody have any tips on how to cut meat out of ones diet?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop eating meat, and eat other things instead. I think you need to specify your particular challenges to get more specific tips.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Identify when you're eating meat and replace it with other foods (beans, grains, vegetables, tofu/tempeh, and seitan are all popular choices, as are eggs and dairy if you're lacto-ovo vegetarian).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here are 157 vegetarian recipes featuring beans or lentils: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:25&f[1]=field_recipe_main_ingredient:789

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Completely Revised Tenth Anniversary Edition is a popular vegetarian cookbook which may be available in your library system.

(Libraries are a great way to try out cookbooks before you buy them. )
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think you need to specify your particular challenges to get more specific tips.

This.
  • taylkail726
    taylkail726 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, I love eating meat, but I don’t want to so that I can lose weight and maintain a balanced diet
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try to start with eliminating chicken, pork and beef. You can work on reducing or eliminating dairy and eggs and seafood later. I found once I did it the more and more I loathed what meat and saturated fat did to me. Be watchful of starches like bread, grains rice potatoes and fats even though plant based can make you fat. Think potato chips haha
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Okay, I love eating meat, but I don’t want to so that I can lose weight and maintain a balanced diet

You don't have to stop eating meat in order to lose weight or to maintain a balanced diet. One usually stops eating meat because of a moral, religious, or medical reason. Meat is a good source of protein. Why cut it out?
  • ekelley44
    ekelley44 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut meat out of your diet to lose weight. Choose foods that you like, weigh and measure them and stay within your calorie goal. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and have gained weight when I ate more calories than I was burning. It will be much harder to be successful if you deprive yourself of things you enjoy
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

There are plenty of fat, unhealthy vegetarians and vegans - cutting out meat is not the answer to losing weight or maintaining a balanced diet.

I love meat too, but do eat it less often - I eat a lot of eggs and dairy, but I do eat fish most days. I usually have beef/chicken etc at 2-3 meals per week. Eating meat hasn't stopped me losing weight or having a balanced diet!