Help getting started

Options
I've read tons and tons of articles on how to lose weight - ones promoting different types of diets (Atkins, kept, pritkins, low-carb, low-fat, etc.), ones that tell you always eat breakfast even if you're not hungry/ones tellingndont eat unless you're hungry, ones telling you to start at a very low calorie deficit to start like only eating 100-200 less than current weight maintanace/ones telling you to start off at 1200 for females, a lot say no sugar, some say no grain (it basically when combined sounds like starving yourself). I'm so beyond confused and don't know where to start.

I'm a 26 year old female needing to lose about 100 pounds. I don't have a budget where I can buy fresh organic food and make the best healthy homemade meals but I will not be eating fast food either. I'm cutting out alcohol and soda. But most of my food will probably have to be from boxes or cans from the grocery store with some occasional fresh vegetables (because as I said very low budget) - i.e. cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, not nearly as healthy as I could be but it's all I can afford. I can't do any serious exercise just yet because right after I started trying to lose weight I had a serious car accident that left me with a major knee injury and three broken vertebrae.

So I need tips, advice, anything that can help me. Do I start with just a small calorie cut or go for the lower 1200-1500 range? I know I need to log everything and eat as healthy as possible but that's ir. So please treat me like someone who knows nothing about losing weight properly and educate me if you would please. I really want to be a healthier person and have a long life with my family (not just completely out to be skinny because I know that with my significant amount to lose I'll probably always have some loose skin). Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What does MFP tell you to do with your calories, when you input all your info into the setup? Go with that.

Also, organic food isn't any less calories than non organic and will make no difference to your weight loss. All the Pinterest and IG looking photos of "clean" and "healthy" foods are basically just fetish art, try to keep that in mind and eat foods you enjoy in ways that satisfy you while staying in a moderate calorie deficit. And dig in, it's not a sprint.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Get a calorie goal from MFP. Choose a reasonable goal for weekly weight loss. There's no need to drop to 1,200 right away (unless that is necessary for you and for most people it isn't).

Log your food accurately and consistently hit your calorie goal.

Realize you can eat anything and lose weight as long as it fits into your calorie goals, but that for most people what they eat plays a role in how satisfied they feel while losing weight (that is, an 800 calorie milkshake may be less filling than 800 calories of more standard "meal" foods). Some people find protein to be a key to their feeling full and satisfied, for others it is fat, fiber, the volume of food, or even carbohydrates. Nobody can tell you what yours are, but protein and fiber are often good places to start. Pay attention to how you feel after meals and that will help you figure it out.

You don't have to eat "as healthy as possible," you just have to meet your calorie goal and, ideally, you'd want to do this while eating foods that make you feel happy and energetic and that meet your nutritional needs. But this can include all kinds of foods.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Choose what you want to lose per week and go with it.eat what you like as long as you stay within what it tells you to MFP

Its easy this, simple and effective. Keep off fad diets, this will work if you are patient.

Good luck
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    IMO I wouldn't start with such a drastic calorie cut. What calorie goal does MFP give you to lose a pound a week with your stats? You definitely don't need to eat organic. You can eat fresh or frozen veggies, both equally good. It took me a while, but I do a lot of food prep with fresh, non processed foods. It has actually turned out to be cheaper than buying canned or boxed foods. I just look for sales and will freeze meats.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Forget most of what you have read about weight loss, especially if it comes from some sort of magazine.
    2. Eat what you like and can afford, at times that work for you, and stay within your calorie goal.

I have had success mostly eating the same stuff I always ate. Obviously some things had to change, if I wasn't over eating I never would have needed to lose weight, but I didn't have to go organic, eat clean, or start cooking super special meals. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so eat the meat, a smaller amount of potatoes, and throw in some veggies and I have a meal that fits better for me. Most of my normal recipes still fit, I just have to pay attention to portions and not eat too much of it. Tacos, chicken pot pie, casseroles, and spaghetti or alfredo dishes were all staples before and after I started dieting.

I think these two links are extremely helpful and can help you get the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~best wishes
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    1. Forget most of what you have read about weight loss, especially if it comes from some sort of magazine.
    2. Eat what you like and can afford, at times that work for you, and stay within your calorie goal.

I have had success mostly eating the same stuff I always ate. Obviously some things had to change, if I wasn't over eating I never would have needed to lose weight, but I didn't have to go organic, eat clean, or start cooking super special meals. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so eat the meat, a smaller amount of potatoes, and throw in some veggies and I have a meal that fits better for me. Most of my normal recipes still fit, I just have to pay attention to portions and not eat too much of it. Tacos, chicken pot pie, casseroles, and spaghetti or alfredo dishes were all staples before and after I started dieting.

I think these two links are extremely helpful and can help you get the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~best wishes

I was coming in to post the sexypants link. Read it, do it. Enjoy your successes and learn from your failures.
  • seaglasstreasure
    seaglasstreasure Posts: 40 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    IMO I wouldn't start with such a drastic calorie cut. What calorie goal does MFP give you to lose a pound a week with your stats? You definitely don't need to eat organic. You can eat fresh or frozen veggies, both equally good. It took me a while, but I do a lot of food prep with fresh, non processed foods. It has actually turned out to be cheaper than buying canned or boxed foods. I just look for sales and will freeze meats.

To lose 1lb per week it says 1,550. I have a very short height - 5'1" barefoot, 5'2" with regular tennis shoes. The lowest safe it says to eat is 1,200 so I couldn't even lose two pounds without exercising a lot and not eating the exercise calories back which people said you need to eat your exercise calories back.
  • seaglasstreasure
    Options

~best wishes

Thank you very much! I will definitely check those discussions.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Use the guided setup on MFP and set it to a 2lbs per week loss and see what your goal should be. Eat those calories. All of them. Eat whatever you want so long as it fits in those calories (even ice cream, carbs, whatever bad thing other diets say is the devil... doesn't matter so long as it fits). Weigh and measure your food to make sure you're being accurate, and don't "skip" logging anything. If you stay within that magic number you'll lose weight.

Give it time and be patient - as someone already said, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Think ahead in months. If you lose 2lbs per week for a month, that's 8lbs. That's almost 50lbs in 6 months, and you can do it eating whatever you want, so long as it fits into your goal. If you can't do it, set your weight loss per week lower so you can eat more. A loss is still a loss - you're looking for a sustainable lifestyle, not a crash diet that you'll burn out on and end up right back where you were.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The thing that all of those diets have in common is that they only work if they get you to eat less than you use. The amount of calories that you consume to stay at your current weight is your maintenance number. Anytime you consistently eat less than that number, you will lose weight. How much less determines how fast you lose. But remember, speed isn't everything. You need to find a deficit that you can consistently maintain, maybe not every day, but averaged over weeks and months, and you need to be prepared to eat less for the rest of your life. The less you weigh, the fewer calories it takes to maintain your weight. This is why people often regain weight: they eat a very low calorie diet to lose weight quickly, hit their goal weight, and go right back to their previous eating habits.

So (1) figure out roughly what your maintenance calories are, (2) figure out an eating style that allows you to maintain some sort of deficit, and (3) make changes that will last you the rest of your life so that you don't regain the weight you lose. You can do this - it really is a lot simpler than it sounds. When the goal is losing weight, it doesn't matter what kind of food you eat, when you eat, or what your macro balance is. These can all be valuable tools to help you maintain the deficit you need, but bottom line is you need to eat less than you use.

ETA: And remember that this is a process and that your weight isn't a single, stable number. There are lots of great links to check out around here, but bottom line is, it's normal not to see overnight results. You've got to be patient and determined.
  • seaglasstreasure
    Options
    Use the guided setup on MFP and set it to a 2lbs per week loss and see what your goal should be. Eat those calories. All of them. Eat whatever you want so long as it fits in those calories (even ice cream, carbs, whatever bad thing other diets say is the devil... doesn't matter so long as it fits). Weigh and measure your food to make sure you're being accurate, and don't "skip" logging anything. If you stay within that magic number you'll lose weight.

Give it time and be patient - as someone already said, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Think ahead in months. If you lose 2lbs per week for a month, that's 8lbs. That's almost 50lbs in 6 months, and you can do it eating whatever you want, so long as it fits into your goal. If you can't do it, set your weight loss per week lower so you can eat more. A loss is still a loss - you're looking for a sustainable lifestyle, not a crash diet that you'll burn out on and end up right back where you were.

Yeah it won't set me at a low enough calorie goal to lose two pounds per week without over exercising and then not consuming the burned exercises calories. Calorie counting only I can only lose just over 1lb per week. And people told me it's not safe to try to lose 2lbs per week by exercising and then not eating back the exercise calories.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

To lose 1lb per week it says 1,550. I have a very short height - 5'1" barefoot, 5'2" with regular tennis shoes. The lowest safe it says to eat is 1,200 so I couldn't even lose two pounds without exercising a lot and not eating the exercise calories back which people said you need to eat your exercise calories back.

What is your current weight? If you need to lose 100 lbs, there's no way it set you up with 1550 calories. Put in the correct stats in MFP and see what it says. You have to put your current weight in, and your goal weight. It sounds like you put your goal weight in as your current weight. Only very small 5'1 people would need 1500 calories.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Some great advice on this thread

I can tell you from experience it really works. I started needing to lose 140lb. Now just 73 after 23 weeks.

Weigh solids accurately on a digital scale
    Measure liquids in either measuring cylinders or teaspoons.

Make a start. You will learn plenty.
    Make lots of friends on here for inspiration and support.

Keep us updated

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yeah it won't set me at a low enough calorie goal to lose two pounds per week without over exercising and then not consuming the burned exercises calories. Calorie counting only I can only lose just over 1lb per week. And people told me it's not safe to try to lose 2lbs per week by exercising and then not eating back the exercise calories.

1500 is a good place to start. These numbers are all estimates anyway.

After a few weeks you can tweak that goal up or down based on actual results. Don't get too hung up on....it's 1.5 pounds a week vs. 1 pound a week. Just pick a number you can live with for awhile.

Here's an estimator for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) aka maintenance..........include exercise (if you intend to do it): http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then take 500 calories (1 pound a week) or 750 calories (3/4 pound a week) off the top and skip logging exercise altogether. Your exercise calories would be accounted for in TDEE, but not in MFP.
  • seaglasstreasure
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »

What is your current weight? If you need to lose 100 lbs, there's no way it set you up with 1550 calories. Put in the correct stats in MFP and see what it says. You have to put your current weight in, and your goal weight. It sounds like you put your goal weight in as your current weight. Only very small 5'1 people would need 1500 calories.

See for yourself; I inserted a picture. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know how to fix it.
  • sagesunshine
    sagesunshine Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1550 should get you a 1 pound a week loss. If you are too hungry and will quit the diet then you need to up your daily to 1600 or 1650. You will have less of a loss but you won't give up in discouragement.
    I don't want you to fail. Too many times I've gone on a 1000-1200 cal diet and given up after 3 days because I was starving.

Why does every one always say to eat back your calories? There is no one diet for everyone. Eat back your calories if you need to, but if you don't need to, then don't.

Cheap food doesn't have to make you gain weight. Expensive food doesn't mean you'll lose weight.

So you need to budget your calories and your money about the same and still be content. A head of lettuce is usually $.99 and can feed me 4-5 times with very few calories. $.99 worth of meat won't fill me as much. But also I'm not happy with lettuce only, and I'm not happy with meat only. Beans are cheap but I'm not eating them every day. Eggs are cheap. I like eggs. Still can't eat everyday but they do make up a big part of my diet. The biggest changes come from swapping out high calorie or higher cost foods with cheaper foods. A whole baked potato instead of a bag of chips. Homemade rice instead of box convenience food rice.

Eat cereal for breakfast. Oatmeal is cheaper but if you like cereal, eat it. Don't eat breakfast if you're not hungry, but don't set yourself up to eat junk from the vending machine on your coffee break because now you're too hungry. Hard boiled eggs are portable. Make egg muffins, mini egg quiches and take them with you.

Sandwiches are fine. Do you put mayo on them? Cheese? look for small things that you can cut out or reduce. I smaller layer of mayo, or no cheese.

Some veggies are cheaper, some are too expensive. Cauliflower was $2.97 a pound the other day. I can get ground beef for almost that much.

Celery is usually $1 a bunch. I can eat celery all day long. That's a good value for me.

I'm diabetic and follow Keto, and 1200 cal day. My opinions are varied.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why does every one always say to eat back your calories? There is no one diet for everyone. Eat back your calories if you need to, but if you don't need to, then don't.

Because that's how MFP is set up. In the OP's case, should she exercise (and she said she can't do much), not eating them back wouldn't be as detrimental (provided net calories are at least 1200) as she can afford a higher deficit. But you still need to fuel your body after you exercise, which is why you eat at least a portion of those calories back.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1550 should get you a 1 pound a week loss. If you are too hungry and will quit the diet then you need to up your daily to 1600 or 1650. You will have less of a loss but you won't give up in discouragement.
    I don't want you to fail. Too many times I've gone on a 1000-1200 cal diet and given up after 3 days because I was starving.

Cheap food doesn't have to make you gain weight. Expensive food doesn't mean you'll lose weight.

So you need to budget your calories and your money about the same and still be content. A head of lettuce is usually $.99 and can feed me 4-5 times with very few calories. $.99 worth of meat won't fill me as much. But also I'm not happy with lettuce only, and I'm not happy with meat only. Beans are cheap but I'm not eating them every day. Eggs are cheap. I like eggs. Still can't eat everyday but they do make up a big part of my diet. The biggest changes come from swapping out high calorie or higher cost foods with cheaper foods. A whole baked potato instead of a bag of chips. Homemade rice instead of box convenience food rice.

Eat cereal for breakfast. Oatmeal is cheaper but if you like cereal, eat it. Don't eat breakfast if you're not hungry, but don't set yourself up to eat junk from the vending machine on your coffee break because now you're too hungry. Hard boiled eggs are portable. Make egg muffins, mini egg quiches and take them with you.

Sandwiches are fine. Do you put mayo on them? Cheese? look for small things that you can cut out or reduce. I smaller layer of mayo, or no cheese.

Some veggies are cheaper, some are too expensive. Cauliflower was $2.97 a pound the other day. I can get ground beef for almost that much.

Celery is usually $1 a bunch. I can eat celery all day long. That's a good value for me.

I'm diabetic and follow Keto, and 1200 cal day. My opinions are varied.

Not everyone says to eat back your calories, but the people who do say it are saying it because that is the way that MFP is designed. Whatever method you choose, it's wise to *somehow* account for the calories you are burning though activity.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Although the Calories In, Calories Out is mathimatically correct - eating in moderation is not what got me to be overweight. So no chips, icecream, candy, etc. in the house for me to avoid temptation. To each their own.

My advice - weigh everything. Do your best to stay away from processed foods - a sandwich of white bread, sodium filled turkey isn't going to fill you up. Buy things on sale and plan around it that way. Don't eat canned beans - eat dry beans and freeze them. Frozen fruits and veggies are a good option this time of year. Wait for sales and then stock up on lean proteins, etc. Pinterest is your friend. Find budget friendly/diet friendly recipes.

Good luck.