Is it poss to loose 60 pounds in 5 months?

Options
I have my sister wedding in june, I was wondering if it is realistic to loose 60 pounds in 5-6 months? And if so, Some tips that could help?

Replies

• deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it depends on your start weight. I'm on day 34 and have lost 22lbs. But I do expect the first 10 lbs were water weight because they come off really quickly.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you need to lose, as people said above. But if you work hard and start now, you should lose a good bit of weight, even if it's not all of it. To put it in perspective- I'm 5'7". I started at 214 and I am down to 167 in 4 1/2 months. Part of it is because I set my goals pretty aggressive (not always easy or sustainable) and part of it is because my thyroid meds dose went a bit whacky with the weight loss and caused me to lose more than I probably would have. The closer I get to my goal the slower the weight is coming off, so keep that in mind as well!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is it possible....possibly. ..
    Should you do it.....no.

Why the hell not? I did it as I posted above and quite safely too

In that time I reversed diabetes, got my BP back to normal and rid myself of Fatty Liver.

The OP may not be able to do it safely but that does not mean you can just say carte blanche it cannot be done

Where do you people get off? You're no doctor or expert I'll wager.

It depends on starting weight, as you noted above. Most people probably should not aim for more than 2 lb/week, although they might get a bonus water weight loss. For some, with more to lose, faster is okay.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it is safe/reasonable to lose 1% of your total bodyweight per week. so find out what that is for you and go for it! :)
  • nicola4720
    nicola4720 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With sheer dedication yes. I lost 56lbs (4 stone) in just under that time frame, safely, eating healthily, with Slimming World (a programme similar to Weight Watchers etc if you are not in the UK). I found the key to being able to stick to that was organisation, planning ahead with a weekly menu, from that menu what did I need at the supermarket etc. Cooking from scratch and not eating processed/sugary rubbish. As others have said even if you don't hit 60 you could be extremely close. Good luck.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    At an aggressive loss of 2 pounds per week, you can expect to lose 40-50 pounds. I would recommend you do some type of lifting program, too. Why? I lost 30 pounds in five months and lost muscle tone in my upper arms and forearms. I also started losing hair! My arms look not so great, and I wish I’d approached my weight loss differently.

This.
    You can lose fast but you might not like how you look after the weight is gone. OP focus on losing a sustainable amount, 1-2lbs a week and lifting to maintain muscle mass. Muscle is leaner than fat and can actually make you look smaller than you really are. People still have a hard time believing how much I weigh because my muscle mass makes me look like I weigh less, despite me being tubby asf.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's just about possible if you really up your workouts to get some real calorie burns in there and set to 2 pound a week loss. Realistically you're probably looking at half that if that's all you have to lose which is still a great loss.

tips:
    1) don't starve yourself if you can't eat enough to fuel yourself you won't be able to keep it up for 6 months this isn't a crash diet its a marathon if you try to sprint it like a 100m race you'll give up. Be sustainable.
    2) invest in digital food scales, spoon measures and jugs and weigh and measure everything
    3) log EVERYTHING even if you have a bad day, every beverage, condiment and cooking oil. If you consume it log it.
    4) no generic food entries, so no medium potatoes or homemade lasagnes weigh everything and note down individual ingrediants don't guess.
    5) try to avoid eating out as much as possible, menu calories are only a guide and depends more on the generosity of the staff.
    6) up your activity as much as possible, walk more, cycle more, leave the car unless necessary, take the stairs, start a classs or workout you enjoy whether it's zumba swimming or whatever and if possible get a workout buddy so you have someone to help motivate you move move move!

Good luck :)