More veggies to eat

Options
Ok, I plan to cook homemade greens w/ turkey tails for dinner. It’s one of my favorite vegetables next to spinach, carrots, and broccoli. However, I want to try different vegetables to eat so I can make a habit of eating varieties of them each day. Don’t worry, I eat salad every day. So any suggestions? :)

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I do sauteed greens almost every day.

Another thing I like is blended veggie soup. Bring carrots, turnip, potatoes, and white beans to a boil. Once they're soft use an emulsion blender and then add chopped up kale.

Roasted root veggies like carrots and parsnips are great.

Also, baked fries out of yuca (more of a starch, but it's different).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Asparagus and mushrooms are favourites of mine.

And butternut squash
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There's only a few veggies I like - broccoli, sugarsnap peas, cauliflower and asparagus.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, I plan to cook homemade greens w/ turkey tails for dinner. It’s one of my favorite vegetables next to spinach, carrots, and broccoli. However, I want to try different vegetables to eat so I can make a habit of eating varieties of them each day. Don’t worry, I eat salad every day. So any suggestions? :)

Just keep trying new ones. I make a "salad" out of chopped veggies; carrot shreds, sliced celery, and thawed green peas - great with Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing. Harder to find, but thawed "french style" green beans make a nice salad add in too. Jicama is nice & crunchy in a salad.

Roasting is great for root vegetables, it makes them sweeter (carrots, parsnips, beets). Roasted squash is yummy too.

Try grilling. Asparagus with soy sauce and sesame oil is a favorite of mine.

Stir fries are a great way to use whatever veggies you have on hand. Casseroles, soups - add more veggies. Mac'n Cheese (for example) is still great with steamed cauliflower added.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Any greens, try them all. Radicchio and endive are non green greens, IMO.

At this time of year: winter squash (try them all), root veg (same, examples are beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga), brussels sprouts, green beans. Also jerusalem artichokes (also called sunchokes).

In general and often available although some are more summer or late spring vegetables: cauliflower, asparagus, celery, leeks, fennel (I adore fennel).

Make it fun -- go to the produce section, look around, try something new. Look up recipes for new to you vegetables or try vegetables you are familiar with in different ways.

Good site for vegetable-centered recipes (with an index): https://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient.html
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    To eat more veggies I have stopped thinking so much about vegetable "sides" and started doing more one-pot / one-pan meals where veggies and meat are cooked together.

Easy, fast, flexible combo: 5 oz any ground meat + 6 oz any starchy veg (e.g. potato, squash), diced + 6 oz cruciferous veg (e.g. cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts), diced or sliced + 2 oz onions sliced thin + garlic + 1/2 tsp seasoning mix (curry powder, or cajun seasoning, or other favorite blend etc.) + 1/4 tsp salt + 4 oz greens (optional) + 2 oz frozen beans or peas (optional).

Brown meat in a large skillet, add garlic and onions for a minute with the seasoning, add the rest of the hard veggies, add a 1/4 cup of water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes; add the greens and beans for the last 3-4 minutes. Can go in a lot of directions depending on the seasoning. I did Japanese curry last night; Spanish skillet with smoked paprika and sage is another fave of mine.

Makes 2 very reasonable servings or 1 honkin' big serving.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Beets? I wrap the beets in foil and roast them then store them in crisper, still in foil, until ready for use. You can stir-fry the greens, tear them raw into a salad, or braise them like turnip or collard greens.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies, especially to start the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts, corn, squash, spinach...walk through the produce section or frozen food aisle and pick up some veggies you haven't tried before.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Brussel sprouts, corn, squash, spinach...walk through the produce section or frozen food aisle and pick up some veggies you haven't tried before.

Seconded: This is really fun.

I'm lucky to have a big produce place not far away, and they stock lots of unusual veggies for the local international community. I find things I've never had, Google them on my phone right there in the store to see if they sound plausible and to make sure they aren't fussy to cook, then buy promising ones.

Farmers market is also good, and usually the vendors can suggest cooking/eating options.

I've had bitter melon (which is really like a squash), some tiny cucumber-like thingies whose name I forget that you saute, various mushrooms, red amaranth "greens", and more. Plus there are fruits: Jackfruit, mamey, and I did a fun side-by-side taste test of fresh lychee, rambutan and logan.
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mixing cut in half brussel sprouts with chopped Bell peppers, mushrooms and chunked onions in a bowl with a little virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegarette. Spread it on a baking sheet and roast it in the oven . ... Sooooooooo yummy!!!!
  • Stretchad
    Stretchad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frozen peas are always a great idea to have on hand. They're good warmed up as a side, or even cold thrown in a salad. Also easy to stir into soups and stews right before serving.
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts or even shredded and sauteed are delicious.
    Sweet Peppers (Red, Green, Yellow, Orange) are all delicious. Great for dipping into hummus, diced into a salad, or sauteed. I like to make a big stir fry with as many vegetables as possible - specifically red pepper, zucchini, mushroom, carrots, broccoli, peas, and any greens I might have on hand. Incorporate a little soy sauce and ginger paste and a protein and you've got a good meal.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Zucchini tots. Grilled zucchini. I like onions and peppers cooked like for fajitas. Also grilled onions and mushrooms together.
  • crysgabriela
    crysgabriela Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MUSHROOMS!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My mind has been blown. I just Googled "turkey tail" and found out that it is a mushroom and not a part of the turkey I never knew existed.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My mind has been blown. I just Googled "turkey tail" and found out that it is a mushroom and not a part of the turkey I never knew existed.

You may be right, but I assumed dennisl31789, the OP, was talking about these:
    rt45jmp3xdlg.jpg
  • kcahillsells
    kcahillsells Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    roasted Brussel Sprouts are my all time favorite and very easy to make.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Green beans, mushrooms, peas, peppers, zucchini, the long skinny lighter-purple eggplants, chili peppers... I find that I like turnip noodles in a stir-fry (turnips cut with a spiralizer).
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Stir fry’s are a great way to try new vegetables.
    You can stir fry almost any veg.
    Beans, scallions, bock Choy, broccoli, spinach, celery, Carrots, onions, peppers, corgetts, eggplant.
    Add noodles or rice along with soy sauce and sesame oil and you have a complete meal.

I also steam broccoli, cauliflower and kale for only a couple of minutes then add a can of chick peas and stir through a little pesto.
    It’s delicious and also a full meal.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love my veg.

Except asparagus, beetroot, aubergine and avocado (technically a fruit)

My favourites which I eat daily are
    Mushrooms. onions, garlic, kale. cauliflower.