Low FODMAP diet plan

Hi! I am new to MFP and following a low FODMAP diet plan. Would love to connect with others who are following this plan for motivation, support, tips, recipes, etc.

As a note, I don't like calling it a "diet since for me this will likely be the way I will continue to eat...so more of a lifestyle plan.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    edited December 2017
    Your motivation ought to be that eating low FODMAP makes you feel better. Unless you're not eating low FODMAP because of food intolerances (which is really the only reason to eat low FODMAP)?
  • yogabarregirl13
    yogabarregirl13 Posts: 19 Member
    Moosmum1972 and Alatariel75...I am under doctor and dietician care and on this plan for health reasons.

My motivation is to feel better. My comment about wanting motivation/support was more about the fact that it is restrictive and hearing that others are following it and having relief of symptoms is motivating to keep at it.

My comment about it possibly being a lifestyle way of eating is because it is already suspected that a number of the foods will remain off my list of foods I can eat after the elimination/challenge phases are completed. Hopefully more foods than I think will be able to be re-introduced so it won't be as restrictive.
  • Lavenderpixies
    Lavenderpixies Posts: 32 Member
    It is hard to begin with and quite the process as you figure out what are triggers and then if you have to completely eliminate or if you have a tolerable quantity and what that is, but yes it is worth it, it can be life changing (depending on how bad your symptoms were to begin with) and it gets much easier once you have got over the initial figuring everything out.
    Four years on and I’m so incredibly grateful I was presented with this as an option, let me know if you have any questions and I’m happy to offer support .
    Good luck!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I don't really follow the "diet", but have identified many FODMAP foods I need to avoid. Actually I figured out the food I need to avoid then looked up the FODMAP list and there that all were.

It kinda sucks, but once you know what to stay away from and feel better, it's worth it.

Feel free to add me. I'm a work in progress. :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Not following FODMAP but I like meal planning. What foods do you know are OK so far?
  • yogabarregirl13
    yogabarregirl13 Posts: 19 Member
    Lavenderpixies, Elise4270 and jgnatca - Thanks for your posts.

When I was first presented with the plan it was almost as if I had written down many of the foods that bother me in the "Foods to Avoid" sections (some of which I was already avoiding). What I was surprised about was that there were a number of foods that I was regularly eating that could be culprits for my symptoms and I didn't know it.

I was successfully following the plan for a few weeks in the spring and was feeling better. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon (or plan) so to speak. Now I finally feel I am in the head space and have the time to commit to the planning and preparing I need to do to follow the elimination phase. I do feel like I am getting the hang of it although I often consult the guide from my dietitian as well as the Low FODMAP app on my phone. I have also invested in a couple "Low FODMAP cookbooks" (although I still double-check recipes to make sure the ingredients are ok). I am tracking what I am eating and noting any symptoms that arise. I will go back to see my dietitian in the latter part of January.

I eat a lot of fish, chicken, rice, quinoa, gluten-free pasta, etc. Any sauces, dressings, etc that I use are made at home. I buy a number of gluten-free products (although the labels are all checked since some are high in FODMAPs). While I am not celiac, choosing gluten-free at least makes it easier as a starting point. I finally found some dinner rolls that are light (I find many gluten-free breads too dense) and have been enjoying mini sandwiches for a change (was getting tired of my rice crackers).

I am definitely a work in progress. My intention for 2018 is to be healthy in mind, body and spirit. I practice yoga regularly and have started meditation practice as well. Now it is time to really figure out and follow the food thing so that I feel good on the inside as well.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

• SylvieKing
    SylvieKing Posts: 5 Member
    My doctor is sending me to a low fodmap dietitian which is quite the distance from my home, but still looking forward to it. I've been doing a bit of research, but mostly all the information I found is in Australia, which is fine, but I'm in Canada (East Coast) and some of the brands are the not the same, especially the breads, pastas etc. Any Canadian low fodmap food tips?