Desperate to choose a weight loss plan - HELP

Options
I consider us all to be friends in weight loss here so I need your help. I am a young mom who works full time and my weight is getting out of control at over 220 lbs. I need a heart healthy diet that I can lose weight at a healthy pace and maintain a healthy weight throughout my life. With the bombardment of fad diets and ads for weight loss I don't know where to turn. I want to make a healthy long term lifestyle change that I can teach my child. Key word - healthy not fad. TIA so much!

Replies

• boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    when does the new ww promotion begin
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    when does the new ww promotion begin

You might find better answers to this question on the Weight Watchers website.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I consider us all to be friends in weight loss here so I need your help. I am a young mom who works full time and my weight is getting out of control at over 220 lbs. I need a heart healthy diet that I can lose weight at a healthy pace and maintain a healthy weight throughout my life. With the bombardment of fad diets and ads for weight loss I don't know where to turn. I want to make a healthy long term lifestyle change that I can teach my child. Key word - healthy not fad. TIA so much!

Calorie deficit. Use MFP
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One simple, heart healthy plan is DASH - dietary approach to stop hypertension. It was designed for people with hypertension, but is a great general guideline. I combine their recommendations (fruit and vegetable heavy, low to moderate protein, dairy, nuts, and grains), with MFP tracking to keep calorie counts where I want.

For me, it’s healthy, nutritious, and filling. But everyone is different so it may not work for you. The NIH has a free pdf on the guidelines, if you do a google search.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The plan to lose weight - Calorie deficit! I will spare you the how to because MFP is pretty self explanatory.

The get healthy part is a bit more challenging. Find things that are not so good like bad fats & sugar loaded drinks and replace them with good stuff like fresh veggies and water. Easier said than done because you will likely need to change your cooking habits too. Almost everything you can grill can also be fried and you know which is the better option. I used to dislike veggies in general unless they were cooked to death and had cheese. Now with better seasoning and olive oil they taste great. You will also need to get others around you eating better too, even more challenging. It won't happen all at once but it is possible and the health rewards will follow. It is now typical for me to go to the store and buy nothing but produce and lean meat or fish. Nothing in a box. Now if I could just stop buying stuff in a bottle, wine & beer. As you can see we are not all perfect but every positive step you take will help you and your family. Good Luck!