low carb-constipation!!

Options
churchgran
churchgran Posts: 28 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I drink over 100 oz water daily but in month #5 I am having a difficult time "going" and getting in all my protein. Help please.

Replies

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oat bran helps some people
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Fiber pills help. Lots of vegetables also help. For protein - eggs and meat.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Fiber from vegetables, fermented foods/probiotics (talk to your doctor about the latter), Adequate water intake, Sleep, and movement can help with constipation. For me personally, warm water with a dash of apple cider vinegar in the morning helps with my digestion. That's anecdotal, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Protein - meat, poultry, offal, seafood, eggs. Depending how low carb you are, beans and lentils are good plant protein sources.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Beans, as in pinto beans and the like, are excellent for both protein and fiber. It makes your protein and fiber goals easy to reach when it's a 2fer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Try psyllium husk powder/chia seeds/raspberries and leafy greens to up your fibre content.

Mix them all in a smoothie with some protein powder, and you'll get a protein and fibre hit in one.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk is excellent as long as you keep up with your water
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    i eat celery or dried cabbage with meals that don't include beans, veggies or lentils. it helps a lot, and the celery is very low in calories.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    increase your potassium intake
    it helps a lot for constipation
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplementation can be very helpful as well. Start slow with that one or you'll have the opposite problem though. :smirk: Start with one tablet and add a half tablet daily until your body responds.

As far as protein, choose less fatty cuts of meat. They are higher in protein. Carbs are a ceiling in grams. Protein is a range based upon your stats and activity level. Grams, too. Fat is to satiety...or the rest of your calories, which is adjustable based on how hungry you are. Unless you are following medical keto, you do not need to hit a super high fat number. Try prelogging your days so you can see which foods help you achieve your protein level.

Also, with that level of water consumption, you need to make sure your electrolyte levels are good. LC diets shed sodium, so you need to make sure you keep sodium up. Not enough sodium with a high water intake will cause you to flush both. This can cause dehydration, which doesn't help your bowel motility any. The lower carb you are, the more sodium you need. It's biology. 3,000mg-5,000mg daily minimum. Really. Sodium preserves the levels of potassium and mag.

So supplement mag and sodium (if it's low, and I'm pretty sure it probably is). But not potassium. We get more in foods than we think as up until recently labels weren't required to show it. Potassium swings are dangerous. If your sodium is right it will preserve potassium.

Feel free to ask if you need elaboration or details. You might want to join the Low Carber Group. This is a frequent question, and we have a couple of old threads posted on this topic in a sticky at the top of the group called "Open Threads."
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    HTH :drinker:
  • baconslave
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    to add.. magnesium oxide (the super cheap stuff) irritates my stomach. i do better with magnesium citrate. i take it at night, since it relaxes me. i think it even helps me sleep better. low sodium v8 is high in potassium in case you are interested.

Agree. I use mag glycinate myself, but lots of folk use the citrate form.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned the lubricating power of fats.

If you are low carb low protein, what is left to eat? I’m having a hard time visualizing your meals.
  • baconslave
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the lubricating power of fats.

If you are low carb low protein, what is left to eat? I’m having a hard time visualizing your meals.

Hmmm...Yeah you'd assume that if the person is low-carb and hitting that ceiling but having low protein issues then they are getting enough fat? But if they aren't eating enough then they may not be eating enough fat...then low-carb/low-protein could contribute to the issue.
  • sagesunshine
    sagesunshine Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Long time low carber here. You need to add in fiber. Psyllium husk is the best way. You can get enough fiber if you eat plenty of avocados and green leafy vegetables. Just watch the calories in the avocado.
    I make a modified version of one minute muffin and add in flax meal and chia seeds. I use 1T almond meal, 1T flax meal, 1/2T coconut flour, 1T coconut oil, 1T heavy whipping cream, 1 egg, 1-2T SF Torani's. Mix and microwave 1 min or to cook.

OMM recipes use varying quantities of ingredients. 1 2/3 T of this, 1/2 t of that, 3/4t of something else. I needed something I could do first thing in the morning with out thinking. I can use the same measuring Tablespoon and scoop one of each container. I have cut down on the coconut flour since it is higher in carbs. I microwave in pyrex cups and split between 2. I usually eat half the recipe.

Google Ketorade. It'll get your potassium and sodium in.

The super cheap magnesium supplements aren't fully absorbed. You're just wasting money. Get Magnesium chelate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Magnesium supplementation can be very helpful as well. Start slow with that one or you'll have the opposite problem though. :smirk: Start with one tablet and add a half tablet daily until your body responds.

As far as protein, choose less fatty cuts of meat. They are higher in protein. Carbs are a ceiling in grams. Protein is a range based upon your stats and activity level. Grams, too. Fat is to satiety...or the rest of your calories, which is adjustable based on how hungry you are. Unless you are following medical keto, you do not need to hit a super high fat number. Try prelogging your days so you can see which foods help you achieve your protein level.

Also, with that level of water consumption, you need to make sure your electrolyte levels are good. LC diets shed sodium, so you need to make sure you keep sodium up. Not enough sodium with a high water intake will cause you to flush both. This can cause dehydration, which doesn't help your bowel motility any. The lower carb you are, the more sodium you need. It's biology. 3,000mg-5,000mg daily minimum. Really. Sodium preserves the levels of potassium and mag.

So supplement mag and sodium (if it's low, and I'm pretty sure it probably is). But not potassium. We get more in foods than we think as up until recently labels weren't required to show it. Potassium swings are dangerous. If your sodium is right it will preserve potassium.

Feel free to ask if you need elaboration or details. You might want to join the Low Carber Group. This is a frequent question, and we have a couple of old threads posted on this topic in a sticky at the top of the group called "Open Threads."
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    HTH :drinker:

Ditto all of this. More sodium (salt), magnesium, and more fats (coconut oil, nuts) can help.

I also find exercise, a relaxing place (for me it is a library or book store) and coffee can also help a bit.

I usually avoid fibre when constipated. It acts as a bulking agent, and the last thing I need when it is hard to go is more.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You'll want to up your fat intake. I always say I "go" better when I have 3 things in the AM (Caffiene, Fat and Fiber). It's the perfect trifecta!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    churchgran wrote: »
    I drink over 100 oz water daily but in month #5 I am having a difficult time "going" and getting in all my protein. Help please.

Fiber (there are 2 kinds - soluble & insoluble)

Fat

Fluids

Activity

It's not just one thing
  • CallaBooty
    CallaBooty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Flax seed. It has largely carbs from fiber instead of sugars. Its like a keto "cheat" food for me.
    I was having constipation before my discovery of flax seed...
    Im no longer constipated.
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Some things that are keeping you constipated not in enough fiber, ideally on your myp it will tell you how many grams for your body weight that you should be eating. Also, not consuming enough fats can also cause this.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This is just my view but if this didn't happen until your 5th month LCing I would be looking into other possible causes. It's weird that for four months everything was fine but now it isn't. Usually LC constipation starts much sooner than that, within days for some people.