Any Senior’s out there?

Options

Replies

• 5838fish623
    5838fish623 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Male 69, been here just over a month. I walk and do yoga. Focusing on logging everyday and enjoying the journey.
  • pannyj
    pannyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You guys are a HUGE inspiration to me. I'm just starting back on MFP. I'm 58 and have gained about 40 lbs over the last 5 years due to "inactivity". I live in a rural area - no gyms close, but have a fairly nice set up in my home. Problem is getting started again.

I've had 2 very bad horse accidents since 2010 - one with multiple pelvic fractures and fractured sacrum. Two years ago broke 5 vertebra resulting in a 3-level fusion, 4 ribs and a lacerated liver. Finally feeling like getting back in the saddle (so to speak). Needing some advice on practical foods. I live on a cattle ranch - beef is a mainstay. We eat 3 meals a day, breakfast, dinner and supper.

Needing some meal ideas. I do work outside the home and get home late - all seem to be working against me.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    pannyj wrote: »
    You guys are a HUGE inspiration to me. I'm just starting back on MFP. I'm 58 and have gained about 40 lbs over the last 5 years due to "inactivity". I live in a rural area - no gyms close, but have a fairly nice set up in my home. Problem is getting started again.

I've had 2 very bad horse accidents since 2010 - one with multiple pelvic fractures and fractured sacrum. Two years ago broke 5 vertebra resulting in a 3-level fusion, 4 ribs and a lacerated liver. Finally feeling like getting back in the saddle (so to speak). Needing some advice on practical foods. I live on a cattle ranch - beef is a mainstay. We eat 3 meals a day, breakfast, dinner and supper.
    Needing some meal ideas. I do work outside the home and get home late - all seem to be working against me.

You might consider IF. If your doing heavy physical labor on the ranch in the mornings, that might be difficult. If not, then just start eating at lunch. Keep lunch light, then eat a normal dinner. See if that works for you! Good luck.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    62 here. I've been on MFP for almost two years but only got serious about losing weight and getting fit around the end of February this year. Been going to the gym (weights and rowing) regularly since then and have lost about thirty lbs so far. Had knee replacement surgery on the right knee the middle of November and just had my first day back at the gym today. Felt good to get back to it. The other knee goes at the end of February.

Always happy to make active friends here for giving an receiving support on the fitness journey.
  • pannyj
    pannyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good to meet everyone.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @pannyj you don't need any special food or special meal timing.

You will probably do well just reducing portion sizes.

(Any version of IF is a personal preference and not needed for, and doesn't speed up, weight loss)

If you haven't already put your stats into MFP to lose 1lbs a week (drop to .5lbs when you have 15-20 left).

Get yourself a digital food scale and start weighing wverything you eat- slices of bread, veg, fruit, pre-packaged, everything. Liquids, oils, dressings, alcohol, juices, etc, use measuring cups and spoons.

Double check for correct entries, there are plenty of incorrect ones. Single foods, use the USDA, pre packaged check the entry against the package.

When you exercise log it and eat back those calories. You may have to adjust what you eat back after a month or so of accurate logging as all calorie burns, no matter where you get the data from, are only estimates.

(I was lucky and the calorie burn MFP gave me for exercise was quite accurate. I didn't need to adjust but plenty of people do- just compare your real life results against the numbers you are given)

Cheers, h.
  • paulab4me7982
    paulab4me7982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed 25Dec but I’m so glad to be back using the food diary for healthy food choices , keeping an exercise record and TOTALLY feeling better. Who else noticed all that rich food didn’t taste that good? I also found I didn’t feel that great by the end of the festivities either
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am 72 tired.been through a lot of stress with the holidays
    Just started daily burn today to get me motivated love to join
  • gfjazz
    Options
    Add me as a friend
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am 57 this year. I have lost around 20 pounds on mfp- I want to lose about 10 more BUT I am taking it slowly and making sure I am active. I got a fitbit for christmas and I enjoy walking and seeing if I reach my goal each day. This is a great site and you guys inspire me a lot.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Quick add of a pic. As you can see, learning to swim, and improving my overall fitness, has been a real plus to my life.
    d5tvn58uogpa.jpeg

I know I'm not a senior yet, but I do hope I get to be and @middlehaitch I just have to say that you look awesome and I hope to look this good in bikini one day <3
  • gfjazz
    Options
    Back hard to find group don't know how to save the team. Tomorrow venturing out in fridges temperatures. Church then breakfast in kay on yo Indiana free tickets to oak ridge boys concert excited I love them it's going to ba an all day adventure for me stress but hubby wants to do this.happy New Years from ohio
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. I retired this year. I lost 70 lbs two years ago ( this march). I've struggled much more with maintaining but I keep working at it
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I’ll be 70 in February. I have been losing weight and getting healthier for the past five years. (SW 376 CW 187). I follow WW plans. Do aqua aerobics, swim laps and walk our dog.

Our oldest son (age 48) recently asked me if my funeral and burial plans are set up. I know he means well and when his FIL passed his wife’s family had to deal with some issues.

I told him I had friends in their 70s, 80s and 90s and didn’t want to be planning my funeral over Christmas!

My wife wants to be cremated and have her ashes scattered under a beautiful tree in the Fall.
    I’m more traditional and would prefer a grave, so just like so many things in our 49 years of marriage we DISAGREE! LoL

Nice to chat with other Seniors.
  • gfjazz
    Options
    Jan 1 dailyburn want to do a streak see how many days I can exercise in a row.will it work towards seeing measurements go down also doing WW weigh in wed my third but holiday treats
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all. Just discovered this thread. Thanks for starting this group, @paulab4me7982.

I'm Steve. 63 years young. Started a serious weight loss program in March at 250 lbs. Had lost 45 lbs. On a diet break right now. Am up about 10 lbs. We shall see how much of that is water weight when I go back to calorie restriction in a couple of days. Goal weight is 185-180.

I walk and hike for cardio activity. Lift some heavy things and work out with a group at the gym. Trying to be a good example for those "kids".

Still working and not planning to stop as long as I am physically able to climb ladders and walk on roofs.

I will be back checking in with y'all in this thread. Add me as a friend if you like. I'm on here most days and I like to share support and encouragement.

• paulab4me7982
    paulab4me7982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Keep up the GREAT and positive attitude
  • Debra_LMB
    Debra_LMB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Will be 62 this year!