Cold weather running effect?

Options
I'm curious- this is my first winter running outside, and we have a big cold front that moved through, it's 15 degrees out (wind chill of -1) I had taken off 5 days running from being sick, but I did my normal walking warm up, and my Achilles were screaming pretty quickly (which doesn't happen to me) and I felt shin splint pain very low near my feet, only made it 2 miles, just not a good run day! But could the cold be affecting my muscles? With how cold it is should I be sticking to the dreadmill? Trying to figure out what temperature is okay to run in for me to still get benefit because I really hate the treadmill

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I run outside in the winter and have not experienced anything like that before. I'm wondering if you tensed your muscles because you were cold and that was changing your strike? Sometimes I have to remind myself to keep my arms loose because I do tend to keep a rigid upper body when I'm cold and that has caused me pain in my shoulders.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if your muscles were adequately warm, even with a warm-up. When you're dealing with cold temps, you might need to dress in two layers on your legs to keep them from getting cold and rigid.

There's an old saying, "There's no bad weather, just bad equipment".
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I run/walk outdoors every single day rain or shine (luckily it rarely snows here). I run at 40 and higher, but stick to walking when it’s much colder. Not so much for aches and pains, but I’m starving after running in the cold. I don’t have a treadmill option.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    At those temps I'd be on the TM.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I run outside and this is my second winter running. It was about 20 here today with the wind chill. I have never had those particular aches and pains, however I do sometimes notice my right knee getting a little tight from an injury that happened almost a decade ago. It happens every winter. Have you ever injured those areas before?? Perhaps you need to warm up those areas more? We’re your pants warm? I wore cotton leggings to run today and my thighs at the end were a little frost bitten and that feels like “burning”.
    I personally love winter running and would rather run in 20 degrees than 90 any day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own temperature thresholds for heat and cold. Some people can run outside in any weather from -20 to 110. Some people just can’t tolerate the extreme temps (on either or both ends). You’ll have to experiment to find out where you in that.

I find that regardless of what clothing I’m wearing, my muscles just don’t stay loose enough to run when the temps are below 20. And I tend to be rather miserable in frostbite-inducing temps anyway. So I’ll be inside when it’s that cold. Thankfully, I’m in New England and that only happens for a few weeks of the year. As is evident from this thread, YMMV depending on your personal temperature tolerance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I have been working to expand my temperature tolerance, since I really prefer to run outside if at all possible. I do find that my legs are stiffer when it's colder, even though they don't feel cold. Start slow and then keep your pace easy. I know that isn't always easy to do, because you instinctively want to speed up to warm up. Just accept that your first couple of miles will be cooler than is really comfortable. By mile 3 you should be fine.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been working to expand my temperature tolerance, since I really prefer to run outside if at all possible. I do find that my legs are stiffer when it's colder, even though they don't feel cold. Start slow and then keep your pace easy. I know that isn't always easy to do, because you instinctively want to speed up to warm up. Just accept that your first couple of miles will be cooler than is really comfortable. By mile 3 you should be fine.

This is really true. When the temps are in the 20s and below, if I am not uncomfortable in my first mile or two then I am likely overdressed and will be uncomfortable for the rest of my run. To me, the first mile is the worst thing about running in the winter.
  • jkorth59
    jkorth59 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You might gain a lot of respect in your neighborhood when they see you jogging with icicles hanging from your face......It shows your dedication towards fitness
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    jkorth59 wrote: »
    You might gain a lot of respect in your neighborhood when they see you jogging with icicles hanging from your face......It shows your dedication towards fitness

Or lack of good common sense.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have run many winters in very cold temps and haven't experienced anything quite like that. You may need another layer on your legs and maybe more of a warm up. Just start your first mile slow and easy.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have issues like you described, its usually when I dont warm-up enough and start running all tensed up. I have found for myself that I have to warm-up for about 20 min. before I head outside. Once I head outside warmed-up I can stay relaxed.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Though I have been running for years, this is my first winter I am not taking off. I have noticed that when the temps are below freezing or thereabouts, I feel it in my knees and left hips. I think it is just my body saying "WTF it's cold". :D