Any horse riders?

Options

Replies

• horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Horseryder77-
    Thanks! :D The boy (in front) is actually a dun, just can't see his dorsal stripe there, but he pretty much glows in the sunlight (when he hasn't rolled in mudpuddles, hah!) The filly is sorrel, but from the Belgian side of the family she got the pangare gene which lightens up that mane and tail and underbelly and such. (I find horse color genetics fascinating; can you tell? lol!)

I hear you completely on the money thing. I'm a kind-of-recent graduate ('09) and work is not finding me easily (oh, the joys of seasonal jobs) so I've had to cut out showing this summer. I'd actually be at a show right now, doing the low level jumpers, but alas... no funds! (Didn't show on my horses, as they're still so young-- borrowed one from the barn I train at for shows!)

Punky is supercute! Love that forlock.

pahahaha it cracks me up that I thought they were both palominos. The sorrel DOES look like a palomino a bit though! And I can definitely see now that the other one is a dun. Horse genetics ARE fascinating! I should have known considering I'm majoring in animal science... I guess at first glance that's just what came to mind. I still think they're adorable though :)

And yeaahhh it sucks that money has to get in the way of doing what we love :-/. Stupid limitations
  • roses6
    roses6 Posts: 8
    Options
    I LOVE horses!!! Actually that is one of the reasons I started my weight loss journey is to get in better shape for endurance riders. I have an Arabian and QH. Gearing up for the fall endurance rides.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Getting back into riding! I haven't seriously done any riding in about 10 years since moving to Canada, my horse is here with me and has been since 2004 but I just haven't been able to work the timing out right (he's about 30 minutes drive away).

I sat my first pony around the age of 3 and from the age of 7-21 I was riding often and showing competitively in dressage as well as hunter jumper. I miss the show ring sometimes but I've been happy to just watch from the side and take photos of it instead. I know I don't have the drive to put all the effort anymore into it, my guy is getting on in years and would take so much to get him show ready even for a small schooling event.

My boy is 21 this year and I've had him since he was about 2-2.5 years old (i was there when he was born). He's a 17hh chestnut Holsteiner gelding named Flame (I didn't get to name him lol i would have picked something more adventurous!). We've done everything from showmanship to endurance. He's been semi-retired during his time here in Canada, but with my son now old enough to attend daycamps(FREEEEDOM!), I'm going to be spending some time out there getting him back in action. I'm looking forward to our groundwork next week followed with a serious nose to tail bath, shaving and main pulling. I hope to have him going smoothly under saddle again by the end of August so that I can continue in the fall without having to do too much of a struggle in getting him going as my time will be limited to 2.5 hours while my son is in school.

166884650_58548698bc_m.jpg
    Flame Jumping by miaouphoto, on Flickr

158209850_b10bc972c2_m.jpg
    Standing nice by miaouphoto, on Flickr
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Oooh he's lovely :smile:

LOL apologies for the Appendix thing, hahaha it's not something I've ever heard of in connection with horses so I wondered if it was one of those helpful "autocorrect" things you get when typing from an iPhone or something :laugh:

I don't have my own horse but this was a TB mare I fell in love with last year on a week's riding holiday, who I would bring home tomorrow if I could:

Jazmine2-1.jpg

She was just fabulous and so laid back. We went hacking, did dressage and jumped. And I was riding with a really bad problem with sciatica so my right leg wasn't working properly, but she was a dream to ride.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In fact I am leaving this weekend for a weeklong trail riding/camping vacation in the Ozarks.

Have fun! That sounds like a blast. I did a weeklong trek through Spain once, and that was an absolutely amazing experience. Rode an Andalusian... got me hooked on the breed! :) My two are Belgian/Quarter Horse crosses, though. Someday I'll get an Andalusian ;)

I would LOVE to do some riding in Europe. I really want to take the kids to Europe when they are older - I was actually thinking of Ireland, but I bet Spain was gorgeous!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all these beautiful horses you guys have. :love:

I've ridden hunter/jumpers (at around 3' 3") my entire life and rode for my college, but I haven't been on a horse in about three months and miss it so much! Hopefully my schedule will permit it soon. I've also worked with racehorses and am a complete addict/racing-obsessed person. :smile:
  • CarlaDye
    CarlaDye Posts: 17
    Options
    I also ride. I do Dressage and 3Day Eventing. We have 6 horses. A retired 21yo TB broodmare, a semi retired 21yo QH that I evented thru prelim, and 4 Trakehners. Since the kids said they were not going to ride anymore a year and a half ago, I've been riding all but the mare. Unfortunately, the horse market like the economy was and still is in the toilet, so I've not been able to sell any of the horses. I am currently showing 2 of them.

You would think with a much riding as I do, that I'd be skinny as a rail, but not so. I just turned 50 and had a turning 50 physical. While my blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart rate are good for someone my age and weight, my doctor was on me about my weight. It has been gradually creeping up, until I weight more than anytime in the past. I joined MFP a month ago today and have lost 8lbs. My interim goal is to lose 25lbs by mid September. I've qualified 2 horses for the American Eventing Championships (AEC) and 1 horse a 2 levels for the Regional Dressage Championships. I figure a slimmer more svelte figure will help me feel better both physically and appearance wise.

I would welcome suggestions on what to eat at shows. Since I've started MFP I've run into problems getting light headed, dizzy and almost passing out at the show I was at this past weekend as well as at dressage lessons the last 3 weeks. And to add insult to injury, I gained 3 1/2 lbs at the show. I took all my food and drank extensively as it was very hot.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I ride, saddle seat equitation... saddlebreds manly, although we have a couple of morgans and a racking horse at the barn too.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There are many horsey peeps on MFP!
    I am a fellow eventer and German Warmblood breeder in Idaho.
    Here is the link to my introduction:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Teerai
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a June newbie. We have 4 horses--a retired Trakhener mare, who is in her late 20s, her last foal now a teenager, my Hannoverian mare, and a QH named "Crawfish N' Bud" (yes, we bought him with that name!), who is actually very elegant in spite of that. I can see them under the trees from the kitchen window, hiding from the heat.

I've never been slender, but I've always been pretty fit. Now I'm trying to lose the weight (a lot) I put on after two major surgeries last year and not really being able to ride at all until just recently--I used to work as a groom in a h/j barn, then switched to dressage, and competed successfully through third level and won a couple of regional awards. Now I'm thrilled just to be pottering around on my mare.

I was so happy to see in the exercise data base that their are horse activities already listed! Now what about exercise calories for doing stalls? I've been logging it as "gardening" because that was the closest I could think of...
  • PaulC9554
    PaulC9554 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bumped for my daughter
  • Andreafaygo
    Options
    i also ride :) 6 days a week, i'm a dressage rider and have just started jumping with my boy :)
  • horsepal
    horsepal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's always great to see other riders on MFP. I have two, a 16.2hh black TB gelding, Mr. Big and a lovely Black QH mare with 4 white socks and a blaze...Boots. I have done everything in my 48 year riding career but mostly now I trail ride. And In Central Oregon we have great trails to ride.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I got back this week from a week-long trail riding trip. I was so worried that I would be so sore after the first day that I would not be able to ride the next 4, since I do not ride regularly anymore. However to my surprise, I was not sore at all and felt soooo much better than even when I rode regularly and in competitive trail 15 yrs ago. I was about the same weight back then, but I am in so much better shape now, fitness-wise. I guess the running and 30DS really paid off! We were in the saddle 4-5 hours most days except for our 7hr excursion on Wednesday, that was only suppose to be 6 - but we were never 'lost', we always knew we were 'here'!! haha
  • Horseymama
    Horseymama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So neat to find other horse enthusiasts here! I too am a horse person. I currently own a 6 yr old AQHA mare who I am schooling over fences and we will see where she goes. She is pleasure bred (hunter, English, western) yet she's a feisty girl! I am 33 with three little ones, so I dont get riding as much as I'de like. I used to event when i was younger and that was a ton of fun, would love to try it again one day! For now I just enjoy my mare, take lessons when time permits, through the western tack on once in a while and chase cows, hit the trails and just have great times with the horses and friends!!
  • TBHunter
    TBHunter Posts: 28
    Options
    I am horse person too!

I have rode Hunter/Jumpers most of my riding life (started in the med pony hunters then moved up the ladder to the 1.10 Meter jumpers. I have done a little eventing as well (which is what I hope to do with my young filly when she is old enough!

This year I am showing the flats and the 1.0 meter jumpers with a couple of my boss's horses, as well as teaching lessons!
  • takingperfection
    Options
    I'm going to friend all of you, it's nice to have friends who like horses!
    I ride English and have mainly been pleasure riding since I was 9 (I'm 18) but I'm going to college in a few days and will be on the equestrian team. So YAY showing!!! I love hunters and eq, but my last horse was a total jumper so I've learned to love that too!
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Wow lots of English riders here, I started out riding pony hunters in Southern Cali. Moved to Tx in 1990 to show cutting horses which is what I did up until a year ago. My mares are with colts and bred back now I have a nice coming 2 yr old that I would like to do some reined cow horse on. Would love some other horse friends on here
  • Melindaleigh12
    Options
    Another one here! Have done h/j since I was little, now I really want to just keep riding! No shows for me anymore (darn mortgage!) But I do have a hanovarian/treckainer that I'm getting back into shape! I'm on my mobile so please new horse friends feel free to ad me as it takes forever for me to ad on my mobile!!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a horsey person too. I have 4 horses & a tiny pony. I try to ride 5 to 6x a week, and I do ALOT of long-lining, ground work with them too. Horses do take ALOT of energy to take care of properly, not just when you're riding them!!! I have two retirees (28 yr old Appy & 26yr old TB) that I've had since they were 2 yr olds, I have a 10 yr old Arab/Foxtrotter mix who is my main riding horse, and an 8-yr old Arab who is just getting broke right now, and an adorable oversized mini-horse who pulls a carriage. They keep me out of trouble, for sure! One of the reasons I wanna lose weight is so that I can ride a jumper course w/o running out ot breath!