Ketogenic recipes/ people eating the keto way

Options
Looking for a great source of recipes, and keto fellowship. Any suggestions?

Why does myfitnesspal not seem to acknowledge this subject in any way shape or form, or have i just not found it yet?

Replies

• MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of posts about keto. Do a search and you'll find plenty. There's even one just a few below this one.
  • mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's an ultra-low carb diet (ie, protein & fat is good).

So you just don't eat anything with carbs in it. Easier said than done.

Eat: Unprocessed butcher cuts of meat (chicken, beef, lamb, pork), fish, eggs, olive oil, butter, above ground vegetables (spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, tomato, capsicum, broccoli), high fat cheese.

Avoid: Sugars (chocolate, ice cream, soft drinks, juice, fruit, cakes) and starch (potato & other root vegetables, bread, rice, beans).

It's very very low carb. A full "keto" diet shouldn't really have much more than 20 grams of carbs.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There's a new group that just started called keto for beginners with several members. As for recipes, try Pinterest and you will find an abundant amount of keto and other low carb recipes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most people doing keto here seem to hang out in the low carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There's lots of information on keto, as well as other versions of low carb.

My own prejudice is that you don't need special recipes, just structure meals around protein and vegetables and some extra sources of fat.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most people doing keto here seem to hang out in the low carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

My own prejudice is that you don't need special recipes, just structure meals around protein and vegetables and some extra sources of fat.

That's how I did things. I tried maybe 5 low-carb recipes. They are complicated with expensive ingredients. And I got tired of only finding recipes that weren't good. And they are such calorie bombs! So I just make a meat and veggie, and if I have extra calories lying around, I make a sauce with sour cream or cheese, or whatever. (A food with no sauce but spiced well is underrated.) Plus a starchy carb side for the fam.

Of course I have 4 kids, a hubby and my dad to feed every day. I'm just glad by the time the food is made that I finally get to eat. :lol:

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    @DIVERDOWN13
    If you don't want to join the group for some reason, PM me and I'll c&p you our library of recipe links.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

That's how I did things. I tried maybe 5 low-carb recipes. They are complicated with expensive ingredients. And I got tired of only finding recipes that weren't good. And they are such calorie bombs! So I just make a meat and veggie, and if I have extra calories lying around, I make a sauce with sour cream or cheese, or whatever. (A food with no sauce but spiced well is underrated.) Plus a starchy carb side for the fam.

Of course I have 4 kids, a hubby and my dad to feed every day. I'm just glad by the time the food is made that I finally get to eat. :lol:

this is me too. My meals are pretty much the same as before, but I add in a bit more meat, veggies or fats to make up for the high carb foods I removed. For example, I'll eat the burger patty without a bun but maybe add a bit more mayo, or I'll eat the taco meat, cheese, avocado and veggies but skip the shell and really minimize the refried beans. And then there is always bacon and eggs for breakfast. ;)
  • klcant0531
    klcant0531 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I've discovered that if I'm making these recipes it's easier to mentally say it's too hard and quit cooking. then I am looking for something fast to eat which leads to frustration and near-caving-in mentality. Keeping it easy is usually best for me. Easy and planned ahead!
  • mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a low carb diet (or just a regular low calorie diet) but are a lazy cook get used to this very simple meal:
    ~300g Chicken breast roasted.
    3 or 4 boiled eggs.
    Spinach leaves, lettuce etc.
    1 sliced tomato.

That works out to be about 2800 kilojules with ~15 grams of carbs.

If you're doing very low carb-keto where you might only want 20g of carbs in an entire day, you replace at least the tomato with cheese, mayo.
  • orchidpeaches
    orchidpeaches Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add me please. I need people who are also doing keto
  • SARA89CR
    SARA89CR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too please if there’s any supportive group add me
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

this is me too. My meals are pretty much the same as before, but I add in a bit more meat, veggies or fats to make up for the high carb foods I removed. For example, I'll eat the burger patty without a bun but maybe add a bit more mayo, or I'll eat the taco meat, cheese, avocado and veggies but skip the shell and really minimize the refried beans. And then there is always bacon and eggs for breakfast. ;)

Yeah, when I was doing it I found it easy, because I would basically make the protein and vegetable part of my meal the same and then use my extra calories as seemed appropriate and tasty -- I'd use more olive oil in a salad dressing, cook with a bit more fat, maybe make a sauce with cream or cheese or include nuts in some way. Or have some avocado or olives with the meal.

I looked at a few low carb recipes but I don't like following recipes and like baconslave said they seemed like a hassle (but for a few dessert ones I tried just because).

I did make my usual sauces or topping for pasta and use it on spaghetti squash or do a stirfry and then just eat it without the rice (you can use cauliflower rice and I might do that now, at the time I just included chunks of cauliflower in the stirfry).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    SARA89CR wrote: »
    Me too please if there’s any supportive group add me

There's a good group I linked above. If you click on the link you can ask to join and you will get added (I'm sure, although I'm not the one who does it).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Yeah, when I was doing it I found it easy, because I would basically make the protein and vegetable part of my meal the same and then use my extra calories as seemed appropriate and tasty -- I'd use more olive oil in a salad dressing, cook with a bit more fat, maybe make a sauce with cream or cheese or include nuts in some way. Or have some avocado or olives with the meal.

I looked at a few low carb recipes but I don't like following recipes and like baconslave said they seemed like a hassle (but for a few dessert ones I tried just because).

I did make my usual sauces or topping for pasta and use it on spaghetti squash or do a stirfry and then just eat it without the rice (you can use cauliflower rice and I might do that now, at the time I just included chunks of cauliflower in the stirfry).

The only keto recipes that I have tried and done repeatedly are cheeseburger pie (beef, cheese, egg, mayo and condiments casserole) and fathead pizza. My baking is low carb with coconut flour, flame all and protein powder, but I don't eat it - my kids do. There is gluten intolerance in my family so we skip wheat, and I prefer the nutritional profile of coconut and flax meal to other flours.

Oops, I forgot I have a few dessert recipes but they are dessert and for occasions only. Stuff like crust less, sugar free chocolate cheesecake.

I too tend to skip the filler (noodles and rice) and just go with the toppings. When I makes spaghetti and meat sauce, I just eat the sauce with cheese. My plate is smaller, but it is tasty. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    mackau wrote: »
    It's an ultra-low carb diet (ie, protein & fat is good).

So you just don't eat anything with carbs in it. Easier said than done.

Eat: Unprocessed butcher cuts of meat (chicken, beef, lamb, pork), fish, eggs, olive oil, butter, above ground vegetables (spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, tomato, capsicum, broccoli), high fat cheese.

Avoid: Sugars (chocolate, ice cream, soft drinks, juice, fruit, cakes) and starch (potato & other root vegetables, bread, rice, beans).

It's very very low carb. A full "keto" diet shouldn't really have much more than 20 grams of carbs.

This is false. Keto diets can range to 50g or even a bit more. It really depends on how active you are. Heck, i have seen bicyclist do keto at 200g of carbs.

OP, lots of meat, fish, plant based fats and dark leafy greens.

You can lool at recipes that are marketed as keto or just play around with foods you enjoy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Looking for a great source of recipes, and keto fellowship. Any suggestions?

Why does myfitnesspal not seem to acknowledge this subject in any way shape or form, or have i just not found it yet?

Not sure how you could possibly make that observation. There are literally thousands of threads about keto everywhere in the forums, keto groups (which you've already been linked to), keto topics in the MFP blog, etc. The "Recipes" forum has tons of keto-related threads. Every single day there are dozens of new "Anybody doing keto?" threads started.

You literally can't open any of the sub-forums without seeing numerous threads about keto right on the first page of every one of them. And if you use the forum's Search function and enter 'keto' as the keyword you'll get plenty of results. I just did it to check and the results page says ">1000 results" and offers up 10 pages of keto-related threads/posts.