Heart Rate Monitor Survey

Options
Just a couple of quick questions if you have time to answer.

1. What HRM do you use?

2. Why did you choose it?

3. What do you like best about it?

4. Is there anything you think it's missing/have you had any problems with it?

Replies

• deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump looking for one soon
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bump..i'd like to know
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The Polar series FT's are the best in my opinion, there easy to use and have chest straps for a more accurate Heart Rate and stores all your past info and the calories burned is pretty close. The only reason the Calorie burn is not completely accurate is because you cant input you VOX % in
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use?
    Polar FT4

It had the features I needed and it was the most affordable

The fabric chest strap. My previous Polar HRM had a platic one that wasn't very comfortable

No problems with it or the previous one. It works great and has everything I need.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When I did my research...for an 'inexpensive' device, I came across this info...

Heart-Rate Monitors top 5 models according to consumer reports Feb-2011. All are chest-strap models.
    1. Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 - $50, score: 93%
    2. Timex Zone Trainer T5J031 - $75, score: 92%
    3. New Balance N5 - $72, score: 90%
    4. Sportline Duo 1010 - $60, score: 88%
    5. Omron HR-100C - $40, score: 88%
    6. Acumen Ergo Plus - $70, score: 87%
    7. Ekho E-15 - $72, score: 87%

To answer your question(s)...

1. What HRM do you use? Timex Personal Trainer T5G971

2. Why did you choose it? Reviews and price

3. What do you like best about it? It's easy to use, accurate, love being able to know if i'm in my 'zone' or not...also my calories burnt and ave HR for my workout. (I'm doing P90X).

4. Is there anything you think it's missing/have you had any problems with it? The BIGGEST thing missing is that you cannot switch between the sexes. It assumes you're a Male...cannot toggle to Female. Therefore my wife cannot use it. Other devices allow for you to set your sex. Other than that...I love it.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft 7

Great reviews

Easy to use.Gives calorie count as well as heart rate.Offers a breakdown of how much time is spent in fitness or fat burning zone.

No problems or anything I would want extra.

Brilliant value for money.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Polar F6. Ive had it for about 7 years now. Not sure if they even make that style anymore
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use?
    After lots of research I chose the Polar FT7

Had everything I was looking for - Target Heart Rate, Calories Burned (based on my personal stats and not just activity level and time), and a chest strap for accuracy!

Extremely easy to use (remember pagers back in the day? yea, that simple)

Its perfect and additionally, rather awesome looking. The only thing I could think of that I would like to have is GPS for mapping miles and such. You can get that with the Garmin Forerunner, if you are ok with a HUGE wrist watch and a BIG pricetag, but the Garmin does NOT calculate calories burned based on your personal stats! I opted out to stay within budget ($100) and the fact that I want accuracy of calories burned.
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I love it too!!! If you have a smart phone the cardio trainer ap is AMAZING and FREE. It shows your route and tells you the mph you are running at and the distance you have gone. You are also supposed to be able to sync your FT7 with it but I have not done that yet!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    That's good to know, I'm in the market for a new one, I have an Oregon Scientific, and it's no good at all. Half the time it thinks I'm dead, and the cal counter is waaaay off. Guess I'll go for a Polar!
  • tobybear
    tobybear Posts: 109
    Options
    So the best HRM is the one you put around your chest then, not the one like a watch?
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    anybody else want to chime in ... in the market to get one.

it appears that Polar makes the best units ... how good are the timex ones?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    anybody else want to chime in ... in the market to get one.

it appears that Polar makes the best units ... how good are the timex ones?

I purchased a Timex T5H881 last Sept. It worked great until a few months ago (the watch would not sync to the chest transmitter). I sent it in and Timex fixed it. Last week the watch face started flashing and reset itself. I assumed it was the battery. Took it to Wally-World and they lost the inner screw, then they couldn't put it back together correctly. I emailed Timex and they are going to replace it.

Definitely miss my HRM as I use it for motivation...

That said, I have went ahead an ordered a Polar FT60. It has all the features I want, plus I believe you can manually input the V02 for a more accurate calorie count, which is what I am after.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use?
    Some German make I got at Lidl or Aldi. Totally unbranded.

It was £12!!

It was £12!! It has a chest strap and loads of fancy functionality.

It's not the most user friendly, possibly because the instructions appear to have been written with no actual consideration of how people actually use these things. Functionally it has been great since I went to the bother of actually trawling through the manual and working out how to set it up correctly.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use?
    I have a Polar FT60 with GPS

It has a training program designed to meet my goals, a GPS unit for outdoor exercise and it was rated as being highly accurate by Runner's World.

It fits all my needs is comfortable. I can wash the chest strap in the washing machine and the service has always been great when I do have a problem.

I find now that I have an android I prefer using that as my GPS since it maps the routes not just judges the distance. So I find it a bit much for my current needs. If I was to switch I would go for the Polar F6.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use?
    Polar FT4

It had the features I needed and it was the most affordable

The fabric chest strap. My previous Polar HRM had a platic one that wasn't very comfortable

No problems with it or the previous one. It works great and has everything I need.

Same Polar FT4 it is great! Does the job and is very easy to use.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    1- Polar FT7
    2- I wanted to track my calories burned.
    3- User-friendly. :0)
    4- I've had it for a couple of weeks. So far so good.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of quick questions if you have time to answer.

1. What HRM do you use? Polar FT4

One of my friend on here has it and it was on sale for 58.00 on amazon.com. Everyone usually recommends polar.

. What do you like best about it?
    It usa easy to use, has an easy to read display, the strap is very comfortable both the chest strap and the watch itself. The baterry is removable and replaceable.

4. Is there anything you think it's missing/have you had any problems with it? I have had no problems at all. I highly recommend it.

I had an Oregpn Scientific se102 before. I liked it but the battery died within 6 months. It doesn't warn you just gives you low ratings. The Polar FT4 will warn you when the battery of low!

I hope this helps.