Apple Watch Accuracy

Options
So, I got an Apple Watch for Christmas and have been using it when I skateboard. If anyone has an Apple Watch, how accurate would you say the calorie burn estimates are? Today I skated about 4 miles and it said I burned 200 calories, which doesn’t seem too realistic for a 30 minute session. Yesterday I skated quite a distance, about 8-9 miles and it said I burned 550 calories. That seemed more accurate, but I think I might have been over congratulating myself. Haha. If anyone has any info through experience with their Apple Watch then let me know!

Replies

• the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I’ve used mine while riding my bicycle and I often use my heart rate monitor and garmin as well. The two are pretty close. I believe the watch is a tad more conservative but not far off.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use mine to track cardio (swimming, running, cycling, walking etc) and it seems to be accurate. Much more so than the MFP estimates. You need to set your details in HealthKit (I think) and remember that (the versions 1 and 2 at least) don’t have an altimeter (sp?) so can’t factor in inclines. Hence it doesn’t know the difference between walking up a steep hill or stairs and on the flat.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Well how are you tracking? Are you watching the red Move cals or are you using workout mode? If the latter, which workout are you choosing?
  • MelissaSheklian
    MelissaSheklian Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have an old 1st generation Apple Watch and have found that the accuracy of calories depends on how tight the band fits, if the battery is adequately charged, and if you use workout mode or not.
    Newer watches or later generations may not have these issues but they are factors that I have encountered.
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well how are you tracking? Are you watching the red Move cals or are you using workout mode? If the latter, which workout are you choosing?

I’m using the workout mode and choose other.