TOM experiment & preliminary results

Options

Replies

• feyapl
    feyapl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What a cool experiment! Seeing as how I'm between ovulation and menstruation at the moment, I may up my calories this week and see how that works out. My norm is to actually drop 2 pounds before/during my monthly and then gain back 3-4 immediately after...wonder if that's b/c I don't adjust!

Great idea to try that out and thanks for sharing!!!
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You rock :)
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well i tried following this one week before my period and during and ive got to say i think it worked. Normally i would put on around 5lb then 3lb would go and id be stuck with the 2lb but this month my weight went up 4 lb and came straight off when my period ended and im also down 1lb 5 days later :smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Well i tried following this one week before my period and during and ive got to say i think it worked. Normally i would put on around 5lb then 3lb would go and id be stuck with the 2lb but this month my weight went up 4 lb and came straight off when my period ended and im also down 1lb 5 days later :smile:

Whoo hoo!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanx for the great info!
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Wow I have to say, Im in my 4th day of TOM and been eating 1500-1700 cals and usually my weight goes up by like a pound or two. But this tiime I actually lost during TOM :noway: This is the first time this has happened! I cant wait to see what happens after TOM! wow I eat more and lose weight?? NO WAY :tongue:
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, TOM does not seem to impact my weight loss efforts at all. Sometimes I see the biggest losses during that week.
  • starrlight23
    starrlight23 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have to try this. I have been losing and gaining the same 3 pounds for like 6 months now.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    The increased hunger naturally occurs for me during my LP and then I have almost no appetite from AF to ovulation. GOod on you for figuring it out...and sharing with the rest of us.
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I must say, I am feeling much more satisfied eating at maintenance but will be going back to my 500 deficit in a few days, not sure I have lost anything, we'll see in a few :D
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lol
    bump
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump for reading
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Very interesting little study you've done there... would be fascinating to see a controlled, scientific study of this (or links to already existing studies).

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=menstrual cycle metabolism&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

Menstrual cycle and BMR
    BMR varied significantly with the menstrual
    cycle in five of the six subjects tested.
    The change in BMR with menstrual cycle
    was the same in all five subjects; there was a
    decrease in BMR during menstruation falling
    to a low point approximately 1 wk before
    ovulation which was followed, by a rise before
    the next menstrual period (see Fig 1 A and
    B). Subject 5506 did not show evidence of a
    cycle in BMR.
    There are no statistically significant effect
    of diet (ie, protein intake) on BMR. Therefore,
    all metabolic periods were used to explore
    effects of menstrual cycle.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/36/4/611.full.pdf+html
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Fascinating and insightful experiment. I will be trying the same thing. I would so love to hear the experiences of others!

If the OP managed to crack the code we should nominate her for sainthood! Or at least chip in to get her a fancy scientist lab coat :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Round two starts tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

2nd cycle.. weight loss did NOT stop... it slowed down a little, but was nice and steady. Yay!

You are absolutely awesome (and patient) for figuring this out. I was having the same problems around ovulation time. Yay, more food!
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BUMPING to look at later!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know exactly which phase I'm in at all times of the month. I've used Fertility Awareness (monitoring waking temperature and cervical fluid) as my birth control method for years. (it's nice not to have to worry about surprises)

When my temperature goes up, I know ovulation is complete. The temperature goes up because of the hormone progesterone, this hormone acts on the thyroid gland causing a slight elevation in temperature. For some of us, that probably brings a slight increase in metabolism, too. Therefore, increasing calories slightly might help you.