Help. Bingeing daily.

Options
Hi. I’ve been on this website for a while. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago, went from being in the 170s to low 110s. Then gained about 10 and hovered in the low 120s for a while. I got motivated to start losing weight when I started dating my ex. We got engaged, were supposed to get married this year. We broke up 3 months ago. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and haven’t been able to exercise. And had to take time off work. And didn’t go out of town for the holidays so basically alone. My family is in a different country. I’ve been bingeing every night. I’m 129 today and feel much heavier. And I know that I’m on the way to old patterns and the old body that I hate. I try throwing away trigger foods but then I end up buying others again that become trigger foods. If I don’t buy snacks I feel deprived and binge on anything else. If I buy even the 100 cal ones I will eat them all in one sitting. An example of just now. I ate a good, filling dinner, then ate all this: 4 muffins stuffed with sunflower seed butter and chocolate (bar), then 100 calorie pack of cashews, then 100 calorie pack crackers, then a big box of crackers (5 servings), with a whole box of crumbled feta, then the whole box of the shortbread chocolate cookies. I feel disgusted with myself. I know everything that I need to do : count calories, walk,..I know it’s a mind thing. I’m relatively smart. I’ve done this before I know how it works. Yet I feel helpless. And horrible. I bought puzzles and adult coloring books (don’t laugh) because they keep my hands occupied. I can’t workout for another 3 weeks because of the surgery). And it’s pretty cold and snowing where I live now. Anyone out there struggling like me and has any advice? Thank you.

Replies

• veggiesnyoga
    veggiesnyoga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and kind words Deb. I’m sorry you went through a broken engagement and health issues at around the same time too... Thank you for sharing your experience. I tried counseling when I was going through the breakup but the therapist and I weren’t a good fit. I should try again. How is everything with you now?
  • veggiesnyoga
    Options
    Thank you! And congrats on almost 200 days binge free! I read the book but it didn’t stick. I should probably read it again.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Another tool that can help a lot when I am feeling down is renting some comedies.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done for your successful weight loss in the past! So sorry about your bingeing, relationship breakdown, your surgery depression and your holiday isolation!

Totally understandable in your situation to be feeling like crap and taking comfort in food and feeling out of control.

I definitely recommend seeing a doctor/psychologist for antidepressants and counselling. Keep trying with both till you find ones that help, because they do help!

Also what helps is challenging your thoughts, and positive self-talk.

You can start by congratulating yourself on not going out of control with your spending, or not drinking yourself into a stupor, or harassing your ex on Facebook. :smiley:

These things take self-control, so you know you have it.

What surgery did you have? Are there are other forms of workouts you can do besides what you were doing? Exercise is so helpful to me with my anxiety, and a major inspiration for my creativity.

Best wishes, and congratulations on posting here and voicing your worries. Very wise of you. I love this helpful community. Great advice above.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can offer that finding a therapist that “fits” is key to the experience. I am going through a similar backslide into bad habits, realizing that’s what’s happening is a good thing, I think.

I’m also using a daily meditation app and that really seems to be helping me.

That must be very tough to be so isolated during this time of year and to have gone through a relationship ending at the same time. The other posts here are all great advice, add some friends and let them be there for you.

Good luck!
  • veggiesnyoga
    Options
    I have never had a binging problem but, I am pretty sure my mom does. I do notice a lot of shame when people binge. Whenever, I over eat I am a little bummed and disappointed that it will take so much effort to expend the energy to bring me back down to maintenance. But, I never say-- I'm totally disgusted with myself. I don't know- something about that sort of self denigration seems to make the situation worse. So I would start with being proud that you came on this site and admitted what you ate and how you are feeling; you are reaching out for help. That is an awesome accomplishment in itself. I agree getting in some sort of movement is imperative - if you have any malls near by - walk around in them. Or get super bundled up and move it fast. I hope you are feeling better soon- everything passes with time....

Thank you for your kind words and advice. It’s very helpful and appreciated.x
  • veggiesnyoga
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Well done for your successful weight loss in the past! So sorry about your bingeing, relationship breakdown, your surgery depression and your holiday isolation!

Totally understandable in your situation to be feeling like crap and taking comfort in food and feeling out of control.

I definitely recommend seeing a doctor/psychologist for antidepressants and counselling. Keep trying with both till you find ones that help, because they do help!

Also what helps is challenging your thoughts, and positive self-talk.

You can start by congratulating yourself on not going out of control with your spending, or not drinking yourself into a stupor, or harassing your ex on Facebook. :smiley:

These things take self-control, so you know you have it.

What surgery did you have? Are there are other forms of workouts you can do besides what you were doing? Exercise is so helpful to me with my anxiety, and a major inspiration for my creativity.

Best wishes, and congratulations on posting here and voicing your worries. Very wise of you. I love this helpful community. Great advice above.

Thank you so much! I will definitely look for help. I can do lower body low impact workout (no cardio or lifting). Basically walk walk and walk some more. Which is always good.
    Thanks for all the good advice and positive words :smile:
  • veggiesnyoga
    Options
    <3
    Thank you <3
  • veggiesnyoga
    Options
    I can offer that finding a therapist that “fits” is key to the experience. I am going through a similar backslide into bad habits, realizing that’s what’s happening is a good thing, I think.

I’m also using a daily meditation app and that really seems to be helping me.

That must be very tough to be so isolated during this time of year and to have gone through a relationship ending at the same time. The other posts here are all great advice, add some friends and let them be there for you.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the encouragement! I hope that you’re able to avoid getting into old habits as well.. what is the mediation app? I listened to some uplifting/motivating videos on YouTube yesterday (random ones), and they seemed to help.. Thank you for adding me :smile:
  • inked1013
    inked1013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Gosh my heart breaks for you. Cause I’ve been a binge eater since I was about 13 (now 31). The first step is to seek support from others and be honest with yourself which you have both done. I’d gladly be a friend as I have binge struggles as well. It’s very frustrating after you’ve lost all that weight. I have a few videos I’ve watched on YouTube that have some great advice and are very motivating. And seem to have helped me personally over the last two months. I’ll drop the link below for one of them. I went to the dr a year and a half ago for my symptoms of binge eating, insomnia, and dread in my heart (aka depression). She prescribed me zoloft. It helped at first, but then I was way worse off. Contemplated suicide and cried/binged daily. I went off of zoloft 6 months ago. Although I’m not as emotional, I have gained 30 lbs this year. I’m now seeing a holistic dr to get my weight off, trying natural oils, hormone therapy, etc. it’s not a control of your brain in binge eating as most people think. It’s chemical/ hormonal. You can tell yourself a million times you shouldn’t eat this or that but for me my brain literally shuts my pleading down and I eat everything in sight. No amount of mind control can help that. I feel outside of my body when this happens. Before you go down the road of getting medicated with antidepressants please do your research and see if you’d be able to handle the side effects. I had them all and am the 11% of the population that experiences all of them. A lot of our issues as females are hormonal, which is why binge eating is more common among women vs men. Maybe get your hormone levels looked at by a holistic dr instead of a regular dr? Add me as a friend or message me :) I’d love to be your support!

Jess

https://youtu.be/PwGXhJAYdDQ

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’ve been on this website for a while. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago, went from being in the 170s to low 110s. Then gained about 10 and hovered in the low 120s for a while. I got motivated to start losing weight when I started dating my ex. We got engaged, were supposed to get married this year. We broke up 3 months ago. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and haven’t been able to exercise. And had to take time off work. And didn’t go out of town for the holidays so basically alone. My family is in a different country. I’ve been bingeing every night. I’m 129 today and feel much heavier. And I know that I’m on the way to old patterns and the old body that I hate. I try throwing away trigger foods but then I end up buying others again that become trigger foods. If I don’t buy snacks I feel deprived and binge on anything else. If I buy even the 100 cal ones I will eat them all in one sitting. An example of just now. I ate a good, filling dinner, then ate all this: 4 muffins stuffed with sunflower seed butter and chocolate (bar), then 100 calorie pack of cashews, then 100 calorie pack crackers, then a big box of crackers (5 servings), with a whole box of crumbled feta, then the whole box of the shortbread chocolate cookies. I feel disgusted with myself. I know everything that I need to do : count calories, walk,..I know it’s a mind thing. I’m relatively smart. I’ve done this before I know how it works. Yet I feel helpless. And horrible. I bought puzzles and adult coloring books (don’t laugh) because they keep my hands occupied. I can’t workout for another 3 weeks because of the surgery). And it’s pretty cold and snowing where I live now. Anyone out there struggling like me and has any advice? Thank you.

I have sobbed my way through this thread. You have been through so much and you are still standing, so that is a testament to your strength and endurance. Keep reminding yourself of your great value. Remember that this, too, shall pass. Put on some upbeat music that you love and dance. Do you have a hobby that you haven't worked on lately? Something like knitting, scrapbooking, coin collecting, reading or whatever? Don't put pressure on yourself about your eating.
    I find that if I can resist taking that first bite, soon the urge to eat goes away. Sometimes I set the timer for 10 minutes and tell myself that if I still want "that food" when the dinger goes off, I can have it. Usually by the time it rings, I'm back in control :) Wishing you all the best. Take care :)